Search results

1. J

My notes for front & rear suspension bushings & tie-rod replacement

Based on a few videos I watched, here are some step-by-step operations to replace these bushings. I did the front in a shop on a 2-post lift. I did the rear in my garage, but took the arms to a friends house to borrow his press. The front fought me a little and I was working with sub-par...
  2. J

car no longer recognizes Passenger door is open

Where is the mechanism that tells the car a door is open? No lights turn on when the passenger door is open. I looked briefly the other day and didn't see your standard button that gets depressed when the door is shut. Thanks!
  3. J

Slow Power steering, strange clicking noise, odd headlight behavior??

Are these all tied together? Battery is about a year old, but my commute has changed from about two 30-mile trips to two 4 mile trips with several trips to practices etc that are around 10 miles each way. So, the car is getting driven less and I am wondering if the less driving is resulting in...
  4. J

Tiguan Shocks on JSW?

Anyone done this? I have the HD suspension kit installed sold at IDparts.com. The issue is the shocks are OE length (or at least that's what I've been told), so I have issues of them reaching their extended length regularly. I reached out to Bilstein with part number for my car and part...
  5. J

Show me your phone cradles

I am trying to decide if I want to just get a nice phone cradle for my phone to use for navigation, etc, or do I bite the bullet and do a new head unit with Android auto to accomplish the same thing? Just fear how a phone cradle could hinder the use of some operations depending on location...
  6. J

Lost my side view mirror glass

Anyone fiddle with this? Have any experience on a replacement? I have lost just the glass itself. What is left is a thin rubber backing. But I don't know if I should just look for the glass or are there better options? I do have heated mirrors if that makes a difference. Symtoms, FWIW were...
  7. J

WTB Vacuum line MK6 TDI

I am looking for someone parting out a TDI. I am looking for a small vacuum hose part # 561612041C Right on top of the engine near the drivers side: Thanks!
  8. J

If you were to replace your TDI with something similar, what would it be?

So, I am staring down the barrel of a long list of repairs and find myself with a barely adequate garage, and not enough time to work on my car because I don't want to be without it for weeks on end. I am at 183k on the clock and I really want to keep it, but the repairs are mounting and may...
  9. J

Advice on replacing Dogbone and associated bushings

I have some slack in my drivetrain, like when I go from stop to go or reverse to forward. And I see the bushings in the subframe appear to be worn out. In doing some research, it appears many folks remove the subframe to replace these by cutting out the old ones and then pressing in the new...
  10. J

What did I break? Sensor topside

I was trying to locate an oil leak, which seems to be getting worse and leaning over my engine bay and I didn't realize I had my elbow resting on a delicate part and *pop* it went. The little barbed fitting popped off. I was able to super-glue it back on for now, and I may leave it pending the...
  11. J

creaky steering

I haven't had the chance to crawl under my tdi and look, but for the past 2 months, I get a creaking noise whenever I turn the steering wheel. I assume it has to be coming from the ball-joint at the tie-rod? Based on what I see online, these are non-serviceable. But are there other areas I...
  12. J

Oil leak near firewall??

Anyone ever diagnose an oil leak in this area? I honestly don't even know what I am looking at.
  13. J

Please tell me this isn't metal shavings in my fuel filter!

Changed the fuel filter tonight and am quite worried with what I discovered. If this is worse case scenario, how much time do I have and what should I do? We literally are moving 1000 miles from here in less than a month!
  14. J

What app for tracking fuel mileage and maintenance items?

I have been using Fuelio for probably 8-9 years, but I've found recently that it is not notifying me of my service items. Party due to an update that changed the way these reminders are handled, but I also think it's not setup well. Any reminder that is mileage related should be notifying me...
  15. J

WTB - MK6 Jetta drivers seat belt - Black

My drivers seat belt has been frayed since I bought the car, but it's been getting worse. Wanted to see if anyone was parting out their car?? Hoping to save some money over new. Thanks!
  16. J

Seat cover/replacement?

I've got a panel on my drivers seat that has a crack that beginning to open up pretty bad. It's right where my left thigh is. I have black pleather interior. What are your recommendations to fix it? I don't really want a cover, but I would entertain a replacement (katskinz). Or perhaps an...
  17. J

AWD diesel wagon options

I'd like to discuss this and see if there are any good ways of procuring a nice late model AWD diesel wagon. I don't think I am interested in a swap of any sort, but thinking about what is available in the US and also looking at options like importing from Canada or Europe, if that's even...
  18. J

Sudden Rough Idle

Car has 172k, just filled up yesterday at a station (Top Tier) that I frequent. Did my normal 35 mile commute (Drop kids at school) this am and all was good. Then about 15 miles into my afternoon commute, I noticed a bad vibration as I rolled to the first stoplight. Thought it was tire or...
  19. J

Replacing drivers seat belt

When I bought the car the driver seat belt was frayed and 80k mile later its still frayed. I'd like to replace it but didn't know how involved a job it was or the expense. I didn't find much out on the subject online yet. Any experience out there?
  20. J

Rear wiper spray nozzle

Last winter with the weather being real cold, I broke off my cap cover on the rear wiper arm. Little did I know, that I also broke off the spray nozzle. I believe this to be part # 3B9955985A Can anyone tell me the procedure to replace this part? It appears that the "root" of the old one...