Search results

1. L

Rear door closing aid for short folks

We bought a GSW All Track and both my wife and I like it, except for one thing. She's barely 5' tall and can't reach the rear door to close it when it's raised. She's tried a stool, but that's not a very stable solution on any kind of slope or slippery surface. I've looked at the inside of...
  2. L

varying fuel mileage

Last week the wife and I drove down to Logan, UT, 540 miles ±, on cruise control @ 75 mph in I-90 and I-15 except for the shortcut from Whitehall to Dillon, MT, at mostly 70 mph, and slowing for towns along the way until we got to the exit to US 91/191 in Idaho and on 91/191 to Logan. The...
  3. L

Scraping noise when turning solved.

My wife was complaining about a noise in the Jetta that I'd never heard, and she said it was likely the AeroForce gauge in a NewSouth pod on top of the steering column cover since it only happened when turning. I went out and checked and sure enough the pod had either been pushed down (mounted...
  4. L

10A fuse that's controlled by ignition switch

I've finally gotten all the other stuff done, and am back at getting the Aeroforce gauge to operate. Got some wire and an "add a circuit", but VW seems to believe that providing us with a fuse diagram will lead to the fall of Western Civilization or offend The Fatherland's national security...
  5. L

Diesel at Costco

Got an email from my brother telling me that Costco here in Billings had started selling diesel. When I checked it out they sure enough are selling diesel here at about 15-20¢/gal less than the stations or $3.75/gal. RUG is $3.54/gal and PUG is $3.74/gal or was on 7/28. I've been using their...
  6. L

Windshields

Finally getting around to getting the windshield on our Jetta replaced after it spontaneously cracked. The dealer denied any fault by VW, so we're paying the deductible to have it replaced. When my wife called to make the appointment for the replacement she was told that newer cars have...
  7. L

Failed DPF's

Just got an email from a friend who has an F250 diesel and thought I'd post what he had to say here. He's had trouble with the DPF in his truck for a long time, the dealerships have never been able to duplicate the problems of frequent and/or prolonged regeneration (several days regenerating)...
  8. L

Windshield cracks on '13 Jetta

Has anyone experienced any random windshield cracks on their '13 Jetta's? I noticed something that looked like a reflection, but it stayed there no which direction I was going. Checked when I got home and sure enough it was a crack. No rock chips anywhere along the crack either. It runs from...
  9. L

Winter grill cover to A6 Jetta sedans?

Does anyone know of anyone who offers a grill cover for the A6 Jetta sedans to speed warmups? Or have any good ideas to speed warmup when it's cold, getting to be that time of year again.
  10. L

Shorter free maintenance on '14's

Just got something from the dealer we bought our Jetta from saying that scheduled maintenance from free for 3 years/35k miles except for '14's which was now 2 years/24k miles. Gotta recover costs somewhere I guess.
  11. L

Misunderstandings about TDI fuel mileage

This morning while walking our dogs I mentioned that my wife and I had recently bought a Jetta TDI, and he commented that the big advantage of a diesel engine must be that the engines last for hundreds of thousands of miles. I said that from what I'd heard and read that they do, but the big and...
  12. L

Top Grille Removal on '13

I finally broke down and ordered a TDI grille badge for the Jetta, and thought that removing the upper grille would only involve removing the four T20 screws and giving it a tug. I should know better. So after removing the four T20 screws across the top how is that grille removed? :o
  13. L

Front Tow Eye Plug

This is pretty trivial but aggravating problem. The round plastic plug that should fit in the front bumper snugly until removed to install the tow eye is continually coming loose on our car. Drive around the block after pushing it back in place flush with the bumper and it's askew. Anyone...