Search results

1. Bengoshi2000

02E DSG speaks DOLPHIN

First off, I apologize for posting about a non TDI VW. I got out of diesels last summer and the worst part is the lack of serious enthusiasts for the gasser VW's. Y'all have a different mindset here that kept me and my ALH golf running for 10 years and 100k+ miles. So here I am asking about a...
  2. Bengoshi2000

FS: ALH Tools (VCDS MetalNerd)

I sold my 2002 TDI Golf last Fall (2022). I've been cleaning out the garage a bit and found the following that I don't need any longer: SOLD 1. MetalNerd ALH timing belt tool set and the triangular security bit for an ALH IP. Together you'd pay over $260 new. Selling here for $180 shipped...
  3. Bengoshi2000

FS: 2002 TDI Golf 0M1 - Piedmont NC USA

With my oldest kids having bought their own cars, I'm now top-heavy in the automotive department. Need to sell one. My 2002 Golf TDI is pretty well sorted out mechanically. 165,000 miles. THE GOOD: Replaced in the last 2500 miles: All vac lines, vac tube from pump to brake booster, vacuum...
  4. Bengoshi2000

Might Buy an A3 TDI 2011 with 80k Miles...

Long time mkiv golf tdi owner here. I've been considering an A3 for sale locally (as stated in title) that appears to be one owner. It has the eTronic transmission, and I'm not sure what that is vs the DSG. I don't know if it's been "dieselgate reprogrammed" yet. But before I get to that I...
  5. Bengoshi2000

Ignition Switch Quality

I'm coming back to my random no start issue may be the ignition switch. I replaced it 2-3 years ago when the original just simply broke. So if I put in another, what brand of switch is the best? I think the one I put in was a Beck-Arnley...
  6. Bengoshi2000

Battery Woes Round 2

Within the last two weeks I replaced the battery in my '02 Golf (with the proper VW battery... There's a thread on it where the dealership sold me the wrong battery in Round 1). Third day with that battery and it wouldn't start. Had to get a jump. Haven't driven it in well over a week...
  7. Bengoshi2000

Coverlay Door Insert Panels - Anyone Installed?

I'm talking specifically about these: Coverlay Mfg | Door Panel Insert Coverlay 17-94C-DGR Not the most cosmetically appealing, but what it lacks in beauty, it makes up for in simplicity of installation. I just wanted to know if anyone has used these, what your experience was and most...
  8. Bengoshi2000

Incorrect Battery from Dealership!!?!

So my 02 Golf TDI needs a new battery. I bought one from the local VW dealership. Gave them my VIN and they brought me a battery. $190 out the door no core. I’ll be dammed if it don’t look too small. 000915105DE is the part number. I googled it and I don’t think it’s the right one. If...
  9. Bengoshi2000

WTB 02J 5speed swap for ALH (02 Golf)

Looking for a complete (or nearly complete) 02J 5sp to swap into my 02 Golf. Would prefer to find one in NC, VA, SC... so I can pick it up myself vs. having to ship. But distance is not necessarily a deal breaker.
  10. Bengoshi2000

01M Issue I can't find information on

So I've sorted out several issues with my 02 Golf ALH (EGR, Vac Pump, Brake Booster, Vac Lines... all replaced). Truly the car is running better than it has in years. So I've been driving it a fair bit lately. If I throttle it to shift around 3500 rpm the engine will bog just after it shifts...
  11. Bengoshi2000

Headlight Options

Story short, was replacing some of the bulbs in my Midwest Light Creations HID's this weekend. I discovered that the driver's side light must've taken a hit as the interior piece (the reflectors) is broken in two. This evidently this allowed a short that blew out the fog lights (it got hot...
  12. Bengoshi2000

P1562 CEL - more TDI fun than I can stand

I've been through the ringer with our cars lately... specifically, my 02 Golf: The Story so Far (beginning in April): First Born Son put RUG in it. Siphoned + new fuel filter. First tank of b99 had some rough spots where the car would choke out. No codes. After about 200 miles that cleared...
  13. Bengoshi2000

Never Rains, but it Pours

So since getting my 02 Golf back on the road after the UG incident a new problem has arisen. Very hard brakes and the car appears to be in some sort of limp mode... zero power... it couldn't pull a greasy string out a goat's arse. So I'm thinking vacuum. I hooked my mityvac to the tee coming...
  14. Bengoshi2000

2002 Golf with a Belly Full of Gasoline...

How eff'd am I? Got a call from my son about an hour ago. Says he needs a jump, the Golf won't start. I get across town and find that the car is turning over fine. It just won't catch. My son says he just fueled up. "You didn't put regular in it did you?" "No" he protests... "DIESEL." I...
  15. Bengoshi2000

Part Deux: Ignition/Lock Cylinder Housing

So the removal (and most of the installation) of the original/broken housing has gone without a problem. New ignition switch works. Old key lock cylinder transferred over. Car starts as it should. With one teeny weeny big a$$ problem: My car has the 01M transmission... There is a cable...
  16. Bengoshi2000

Ignition/Lock Cylinder Housing

So the ignition lock housing needs to be replaced on my '02 Golf. Is this job possible without pulling the steering wheel? <please say yes>
  17. Bengoshi2000

CCV Hose Leaking at Intake Pipe not Valve Cover

In the process of chasing down issues that are causing low MPG's on my 2002 Golf, I found that the CCV hose is leaking where it connects to the intake piping. There's a sensor there... don't know what it does, but it was filled with oil. It was dripping down on the intake manifold. I...
  18. Bengoshi2000

Sudden MPG Drop 2002 ALH Golf w/ 0M1

I've been holding off on this post until I had a few fill-ups to confirm a problem... After I replaced the TB/Water Pump in my Golf (147k miles), the mpg's dropped to 23. This has now been consistent over 4 fill-ups, so I'm convinced I've got a problem. Prior MPG's have been in the mid-upper...
  19. Bengoshi2000

Curbed my Enthusiasm

So, I had my 15 year old out tonight driving and when we pulled into the driveway he missed. Well, the Driver’s front wheel made it onto the extreme right side of the drive, but the passenger front wheel went up over the curb with a bone jarring crunch. Fortunately I have a metal skid plate...
  20. Bengoshi2000

HID Headlights Question (Midwest Lighting)

I put a set of the Midwest Light HID's on my Golf about 3 years ago. Love 'em... haven't had any issues. But over the last two months, I felt like the driver's side headlight wasn't getting as bright. I confirmed this last week when my son and I were driving back from having tires put on. He...