Search results

1. C

lift my A3

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I had asked basically the same question back in February or so. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=274639&highlight=lift
  2. C

Lifting MK III Suspension for Rallying or Offroad

Any thoughts? Still looking at options. Thanks in advance.
  3. C

Lifting MK III Suspension for Rallying or Offroad

There has been a very interesting thread over on Upgrades/Non TDi engine about lifting a VW MKIV for offroad use. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269310 It has generated over twelve pages of responses and more than 4,000 views, so obviously there is some interest in this. Sure...
  4. C

Raising Car for Off-Road Crawling or Rally

Frankencar, Would you be willing to help start a thread on MKIII lifts in that section of the Forum? I'm sure I'm not the only feller who could use a good guide on how to lift a MKIII and learn from your experience? Manual, Sorry if I highjacked your thread in any way.
  5. C

Frankencar, THANK YOU!!! That gives me a very clear idea of what to work with. I can do that. Yahoo! I think I may be warming up the welder this week.
  6. C

Great thread! I don't think you are crazy at all. We are moving back to the ranch, with 2 and half miles of daily driving each way on a very bad dirt road and I was just thinking about how to raise the suspension on my 98 Jetta. Not all of us live in urban areas or spend our fun time with our...
  7. C

A3 Jetta Suspension and skidplate question

Recently installed Koni Reds on my A3 at 100,000 miles using the original springs and couldn't be happier. Installed a skidplate quite awhile ago and based on the severe scratches it has from daily dirt road driving, I imagine I would have destroyed the oilpan long ago without it.
  8. C

Possible shop move. Would you come here?

I drive nearly 125 miles one way to see my TDI gurus, so I cannot imagine any dedicated TDI-er would find your new location too far to travel.
  9. C

How about a little life in Arizona?

Just cause we are sleeping in the heat like somnambulant lizards don't mean we aren't alive out here...
  10. C

1986 Toyota 4Runner - VW TDI powered- NY

Did I miss it somewhere, what is the asking price?
  11. C

a3 Lift Kit

Will you let me/us know how it turns out? Cost, pics if you can do it?
  12. C

Which tires?

I gotta say I LOVE my Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S's. I live on a dirt road and after 30,000 miles more or less, they have held up fine. I run up to 90 mph on a nearly daily basis, hit the off ramp at almost double the rated speed and drive it like I stole it. 1998 A3.
  13. C

Do You Tow or Haul With Your TDI?

Has anyone installed the airbags? How did they work out? I routinely haul twenty to twenty five bags of feed in my 98 A3, which works out to roughly 800 to 1,000 pounds, which I figure to be no more than three really hefty passengers. I just air up the rear tires.
  14. C

a3 Lift Kit

Martin Bergel has, or had, the only A3 lift kit I have seen mentioned on here. Don't know anything about his kits or if he still offers one. I've thought about lifting my 98 A3 as well, living on a dirt road and all. Skidplate has surely paid for itself, though. http://www.martinbergelllc.com/
  15. C

Remote Oil Filter on A3/AHU?

Thanks Mijbo, that is exactly what I needed to see. How is the filter for changing with that sideways mount? Does it make a mess? (Sorry to be so long in responding, I've been away from working on the A3 for awhile.)
  16. C

Could your tdi club license plate frame land you in jail?

Well... be especially careful if the license frame happens to break. (NOT a tdiclub frame.) I got pulled over by a rookie from the highway patrol because my license frame had cracked and "was obscuring the year" of my license tab. "This normally happens on stolen cars," the young man said. He...
  17. C

TDI or Hybrid for me?

If your sole interest is the cheapest car you can drive? The Toyota Corolla is by far the cheapest car out there to operate. In a 2002/3/4, with a five speed, a Corolla could easily come close to 40 mpg if driven conservatively and maintenance costs are negligible. But that wasn't your question...
  18. C

TDI vs stock VR6

Sure, why not? What are the stock hp and torque numbers on a VR6? A number of folks on this board have MKIII AHUs with torque numbers above 250 ft/lbs. A VR6 might have more hp than a TDI, but torque? Seems to me a good driver with 250 plus ft/lbs of torque should be able to beat any...
  19. C

ticking n75

I believe you still have to "clear" the CEL, using Vag Com, even after changing out the vacuum hoses. My CEL went away eventually, after chanigng out my hoses, never to return.
  20. C

Oil Guard vs. Amsoil bypass/remote filter?

Thanks guys, DB, I rarely go over 105. Do any of you have the larger, thicker, coolant/oil exchanger? I read the thread about the alternatives to the dieselgeek kit awhile back, the Passat V6 one, or the Toureg one, (part number 038117021B), but no one ever said for sure it was working on an...