Search results

1. W

Random High Idle

Are you saying fully warm because the gauge is straight up or because you know the temperature is full operating? Mine has a high idle until the temperature gets over something which I am sure is higher than the minimum temperature for the gauge to point straight up. I see the temperature...
  2. W

thermostat replacement pita. One tip

Could you let us know what the source of the thermostat was and if you are measuring temperature with the ECU or just looking at the gauge in the cluster? When I replaced my thermostat a few years ago it didn’t seem to work as well as the original, when the original was working properly. Now...
  3. W

What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

Try running the steering lock to lock- worked for me
  4. W

Looking for after market hitch for 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen (Canada) TDI, having difficulty being certain

I’ve got the Curt. Installed it 10 years ago and IIRC a minor cut to a plastic panel is required. I think it was one of the black panels in front of the bumper. Two panels have to come off to get to the attachment points and one has to be modified to go back, or something like that. Unless I’m...
  5. W

Engine oil leak on intake/turbo side of bew engine block

Probably the valve cover gasket. They are cheap and easy to replace. Don’t forget to put a dab of rtv in the sharp corners each side of the camshaft. Another possibility is the tandem pump gasket, in which case the coolant hoses under it need to be carefully inspected. A bit more work since the...
  6. W

2013 JSW Handbrake adjust

How did you overtighten the handbrake cables without getting access to the ends under the console? If you mean the handbrake keeps adjusting itself on and not releasing, I had that problem once. The adjustment is all in the caliper and if the auto adjusting mechanism is not working properly...
  7. W

Ugh - new codes because I keep screwing around with the steering wheel - please review and assist

Maybe I gave you the wrong page? Might be for the MK70 ABS. I think this one is correct http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Brake_Electronics_(MK60EC1)#Basic_Setting Your car should have the MK60 ABS, which you can check by looking at a VCDS scan address 03 abs brakes. Third...
  8. W

Ugh - new codes because I keep screwing around with the steering wheel - please review and assist

Don’t forget to calibrate your steering angle sensor after the alignment. I found this simple procedure to make a significant improvement. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist
  9. W

Brake fluid low?

In addition to the low fluid light I have seen a message related to the abs. In my case the message stopped flashing after I sprayed several connectors with deoxit.
  10. W

Hard Start / No Start - Is your intercooler frozen? Check Here!

I ran with a hole only for about a year but it didn’t stop water from collecting in the intercooler. After a near death experience when the car failed to accelerate I got a tune with dynamic EGR which seemed to end the problem. Then the intake manifold developed a problem, the car went into...
  11. W

Hard Start / No Start - Is your intercooler frozen? Check Here!

I never got a mess on the floor, just a little bit inside the lower cover. Might depend on the state of the turbo seals?
  12. W

Brake fluid low?

Pretty easy to remove the cap and check the operation of the level switch. It’s just a float, light should be on with cap removed, lift float and it should go off. Now is that the light you are seeing flash?
  13. W

2012 Golf TDI No Crank

Check out this guy’s videos, he’s got some good ideas.
  14. W

Blinking red temp light with beeping upon cold start

My mk4 has been doing the same thing for maybe 15 years. Only when it gets left outside below-20.
  15. W

Extreme hard cold start

I’d check glow plugs. The wiring harness has a life expectancy… Find a 12V bulb and some wire. I have some test leads with alligator clips which I use. Pull a glow plug boot off and connect the bulb between the glow plug lead and the engine block or another good ground. With the engine cold...
  16. W

LuK 17-050 New DMF Clutch Assembly with 15,000 miles Shudders/Grabby on Clutch Release

I had a LUK 050 fail after about 6 months and it was replaced by the mechanic on warranty. The replacement shuddered from the start and now slips at full torque in 5th. I trust the mechanic. The failure was a refusal to disengage. Pedal felt wrong.
  17. W

Seeking Advice on Stuck Clutch Pedal

I suspect you have a problem with the clutch slave cylinder which is inside the bell housing, and it sort of sounds as if your clutch is slipping. Assuming you have a few hundred thousand on the car I think you would need a new slave cylinder, clutch, pressure plate and probably a flywheel...
  18. W

CJAA intercooler icing - what else got trashed?

Perhaps I didn’t phrase my question very well LOL. I’m doubtful that water ingestion caused that damage, mostly because I’ve had that problem several times. A mild case was a stumble and few seconds of rough running, more severe a complete loss of power and an engine stall. Once the starter...
  19. W

2010 AC compressor clutch locked-up

No guarantees but I drove mine for 3 months with a broken hose, fixed it, changed the dryer and it was still working a year later. Haven’t used AC since August.
  20. W

CJAA intercooler icing - what else got trashed?

Was it running when it blew? I had mine refuse to crank once, then I drained a couple cups of water onto the floor from the hole I had drilled in the charge air pipe.