Search results

1. T

Battery Replaced Today

My wife had the JSW at the tennis club and it wouldn't start after she played. I called AAA and they were there in about 35 minutes. They replaced the battery for $154, total. The guy assured us it was a VW TDI spec battery and the amperage was actually more than that of the old battery...
  2. T

Recommendations for 2011 JSW wiper blades?

Time to replace the blades. Not really interested in hassling with the rubber insert replacements-just want to get a couple of replacements without paying dealer prices. Most recent the search function came up with was Walmart has some Michelin ones for $12.99 each. Anyone replaced theirs...
  3. T

Austin to Minneapollis: 43.1 MPG

Just drove to MN from Austin getting 43.1 mpg for the trip. Unfortunately it rained and the temp dropped into the sixties the entire last third of the trip, from northern Kansas to Minneapolis. Until then, we were getting 45 mpg. The JSW was loaded, tires inflated to 38, used Opti-Lube...
  4. T

Changed My Fuel Filter Today

It went smoothly but I was surprised the dealer, last time, had replaced two of the stock Torx 30 screws with hex head screws. Perhaps they messed up the heads on a couple and didn't have the stock screws, I don't know. Surprisingly though, the two screws are a bit different, one needs a...
  5. T

Buffeting Sound on Highway?

On a recent trip, we were getting a buffeting sound coming from the engine bay or somewhere up front anyway, at speeds over 55. It seemed to start after a few hours of driving. I looked in the engine area and around it but could not see anything I could determine to be the problem. I can't...
  6. T

New Audi Commercial

Anyone seen the new commercial where everyone is running to stop the lady from putting diesel into a beautiful white Audi sedan? It ends showing the rear of the car: TDI Quattro.
  7. T

Removing Rear Muffler on JSW

I read on a thread or two that removing the muffler has no effect on anything-maybe changes the sound just a bit-as the mufflers are superfluous. Can't seem to find that thread. Has anyone actually done this and can you describe the effects of results? Seems like it would be getting rid...
  8. T

Contacts not Loading

We got new cell phones. My LG Rumor Reflex hooked up fine but my wife's contacts won't load from her Samsung Galaxy S3, even though the phone connected up OK. We get a message saying 'couldn't load contacts.' Anyone know if there's a phone setting that needs to be changed or is anyone else...
  9. T

JSW TDI vs. GTI Question

Does the JSW TDI have GTI brakes and/or suspension parts? Or any other sport tuning parts for that matter? Thanks.
  10. T

First Adventure with TPMS

The symbol in the dash pod suddenly lit up while we were running errands. When I stopped for air, one tire was maybe 3 lbs less than another which I guess set it off. Good to see though, that when I filled all tires to about 38 and hit the SET button, it reset just fine and, will also set the...
  11. T

Diesel Saves us Money? What?

I know many of us complain or express our fears about the HPFP, sunroof or whatever but, studies show, our cars are actually much cheaper to own than their gas counterparts. Here is a recent article on a study conducted by the University of Michigan: New Study Finds U.S. Diesel Vehicles Have...
  12. T

Bluetooth Problem

I have a service appointment for Tuesday but thought I'd ask the question here. Many of you guys know more than the VW techs it seems. Last week, our Bluetooth kicked both our phones out of the system as if they had never been connected. I was able to reload my phone back in, starting over as...
  13. T

Pungent Smell Suddenly: Deisel Fuel?

Been getting this drastic smell in and around the car yesterday and today. Tank is a little less than half full. Today I loosened the fuel cap and re-tightened it for good measure but it started all of a sudden yesterday with no reason that I can recall. Any idea what this might be?
  14. T

Revo vs. Malone Tune?

I know it's been discussed as part of other threads but I couldn't find any head to head discussions. My dilemma: I had read quite a bit (Don for one I believe) and so I emailed the local Revo guy here in Austin; no reply. Then I went on their web site and explained my interest and mentioned...
  15. T

Headwind Makes a Difference

On our trip from Austin to Phoenix, we at first were getting 43 to 44 mpg, wife & Jack Russell in JSW, car 3/4 loaded, tire pressue at 39 (Tires say "never exceed 40.) Then in west Texas, we encountered a terrific headwind that drove our mileage down to 38, cruising at 75. We stopped in Los...
  16. T

Lube the Sunroof?

Hi, is there a method to lubing the panoramic sunroof on the JSW? Our 2011's roof just started squeaking like crazy recently and I can't tell what's causing it. Thanks.