Search results

1. GoremanX

0-hole Head Gasket?

Well... no... they're BHW pistons. In a BEW block. And I'd much rather have a thicker gasket than mill any pistons. I have to buy a head gasket anyways, it might as well be thicker. I've never had a straight block in my life. They all vary from front to back, typically by 0.05 to 0.1mm. That...
  2. GoremanX

0-hole Head Gasket?

Is there a thicker head gasket than a 3-hole? I'm putting together an engine (BEW block with stock BHW pistons) and the piston protrusion varies from 1.193mm at cylinder 1 to 1.308mm at cylinder 4. This deck has never been machined, it's a stock block. I have no idea what head gasket used to be...
  3. GoremanX

BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

Out of curiosity, is that a 228mm or 240mm diameter setup? Did you use a spacer between the engine and trans?
  4. GoremanX

BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

I haven't had a turbo support for 3.5 years, and I'm running a bigger, heavier turbo than stock on an OEM manifold
  5. GoremanX

Balance shaft delete. How to and part numbers

Over 50k miles on my setup, and pulled the engine out for a block swap at about 30k miles. I drive it HARD. Absolutely no issues with the BSM delete or the windage tray. It's been rock solid reliable. Also smooth as silk at all RPMs, any roughness I experienced in the past was due to incorrectly...
  6. GoremanX

BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

Then stick to a 228mm clutch and DMF
  7. GoremanX

BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

That's determined by your choice of clutch and flywheel, not by the engine/transmission. A 240mm clutch will typically need a spacer. An 01E very much prefers a DMF, rather than a SMF and spring clutch disc, which combined with a 240mm clutch means you need the spacer to prevent the clutch from...
  8. GoremanX

ASV vs BHW

You get used to a certain level of power after driving it that way for a while. At first I though 200+ hp was kinda overwhelming, but then it just became the "new normal" and everything else feels slow. I drove a brand new A5 2.0T a little while back, and I thought I was I was gonna fall asleep...
  9. GoremanX

ASV vs BHW

:rolleyes: this alphabet vomit of engine codes gets confusing �� I've been running this BHW with an 01E in a B5 A4 for the last 3 years and it's been awesome. It's putting out about 250hp since the most recent rebuild (thanks Franko6 for those new BHW piston rings btw!). But the...
  10. GoremanX

ASV vs BHW

crap, I typed ASV instead of ASZ when I put in the subject for this thread...
  11. GoremanX

ASV vs BHW

And that's exactly why this listing confuses me: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Motorblock-Kurbelwelle-Audi-Seat-Bora-1-9-TDI-ASZ-Baugleich-mit-ARL-DE280015/222860448870?hash=item33e3849466:g:Q5AAAOSwYARbZsOr
  12. GoremanX

ASV vs BHW

Perfect, thank you. That answers all my questions. I didn't even think to check Darkside's site for part applications
  13. GoremanX

ASV vs BHW

Isn't the ARL a PD150 engine? From what I was seeing on ebay, some ASV short blocks are listed as suitable ARL replacements (hence my initial question). And I vaguely remember that someone put an ARL crank in a BHW once upon a time without any modifications necessary. Of course, my memory isn't...
  14. GoremanX

ASV vs BHW

A couple people have tried the Oilite bushing idea in the past, without success. The wear on the bushing became excessive quickly. No, I mean the IE Tuscan forged rods that I used when building the engine 40k miles ago.
  15. GoremanX

ASV vs BHW

Thanks for the reply! Ugh, too much work. I just want a crank with a manual trans flange that will drop into my BHW and accept my existing forged rods. I'm getting close to the holding limit on my 228mm clutch (425 ft-lb tq). In the near future, I'm planning to exceed that limit, and the only...
  16. GoremanX

ASV vs BHW

Can anyone enlighten me on the compatibility between a BHW and ASV short block? For example, will an ASV crank fit a BHW block without major modifications? (main journals, rod journals, etc).
  17. GoremanX

BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

Depends which 01E you have. Take a photo of the cap on the opposite side of the selector arm, the one that has the electrical connector for the reverse switch. Another fun quirk, the "early" and "late" style rods change mid-year :rolleyes:
  18. GoremanX

BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

In that case, good luck. Those are getting increasingly difficult to find used. The shifter, base and plastic housing are relatively easy to find since they were essentially the same on the B5 A4/S4 and C5 A6/S6/allroad. The rods however differ by model, and even by year within a model. You're...
  19. GoremanX

BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

oops, missed this until now. I run a South Bend Stage 3 clutch/pressure plate and OEM DMF meant for a B5 A4 1.8T 5-speed. It's silky smooth, has excellent engagement, and is rated for 425 ft-lb of torque. I personally consider it the perfect setup. Daily driven in lots of traffic, both...
  20. GoremanX

BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

Depends, I guess. If you want to run a 240mm clutch and dual mass flywheel, then you need a 5mm spacer between the engine and transmission, which can reduce engagement in the pilot bearing to less than 3mm (not nearly enough). This solution would resolve that issue. In my case, I'm running a...