Search results

1. Norman

Hi, Mike I'm switching from a Premium 4 radio to a Premium 5 radio and it's not taking the...

Hi, Mike I'm switching from a Premium 4 radio to a Premium 5 radio and it's not taking the radio code I have for the Premium 5 radio? What button sequence actually commits the code for confirmation? I've already tried Seek> + Scan, and the Seek> by itself, for a couple seconds and all they do...
  2. Norman

Driver's side window switch

I have to add to this thread and confirm that it’s a contact issue. Having just returned from the local PnP with a VW 1J4 959 857 B off an ‘05 Passat (and replacing a D on an ‘03 Jetta...) and having the windows perform <worse> than when I started, I figured I might as well experiment. In my...
  3. Norman

Would a stick shift A4 TDI wagon be a good car for new teenage driver?

:D Thought provoking, for sure.. Well, super late to this thread, but have some more data points to add to the pile; WRT the original query, any MT TDI would probably be a great car to teach a teenager to drive a stick on, though I would agree a wagon is maybe not my first choice. How about a...
  4. Norman

Heated Seat Question

I don't have a switch in front of me right now, but I do recall looking at a switch (complete), and then comparing it with its mate on the other side and I do believe you can pop the guts out, so that would be the rheo part with the numbers and stuff and keep the orientation the same, but switch...
  5. Norman

Heated Seat Question

You may have already figured this out, but, the actual control switches themselves are all the same, there is no driver side or passenger side; what makes them DS or PS is the cut on the bezel to make it DS or PS, but you can just pop the bezel off and change out a control switch if one goes bad.
  6. Norman

Heated Seat Question

I think the pictured harness for the Model 30000 is just there for representation because it didn't look like the harness I got...which is why I pointed you to post #89 in that second link I posted because that is 100% accurate for the harness I got from Kufatec. Each and every wire connection...
  7. Norman

Heated Seat Question

Yep, this is the one for the manual seats: https://www.kufatec.us/shop/en/retrofits/seat-accessories/seat-heating-harness-vw-audi-seat-skoda That was the one I used as well, and feedback from others on Fred's who'd done this before me all recommended the Kufatec harness because it was the...
  8. Norman

Heated Seat Question

Had you chosen Kufatec, the following links would have been perfect for you: Kufatec USA: https://www.kufatec.us/shop/en/volkswagen/golf/golf-4-1j/seat-heating-w-seat-adjustment-harness-vw-audi-seat How-To (put it all together)...
  9. Norman

Cabin heat out of control

Here's some more how-to reading for you: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4445527-DIY-Heater-Air-Conditiong-Fix-(blend-door-issue)/page2&highlight=air+blend+door Your current toughest problem is probably finding a new pin. There's thousands of them in wrecking/recycling yards, but...
  10. Norman

California TDI Owners List

Hey, #1, good to hear from you! I heard from #2 yesterday, and he's diesel-less at the moment, but we're lusting after the CX-5 diesel that's supposed to be coming out soon. Test drives might be in order, too. OK, that should get the activity count for this forum a nice bump for the month. :D
  11. Norman

California TDI Owners List

"I'm not dead yet." #5 reporting in to up the post count. :) Bonus points if all y'all get the reference...
  12. Norman

mpg advantage, sedan vs wagon.

Here's a tangential question for you; I find the MPGs to be similar in our TDIs, w/ the wagon generally being higher by 1-2 mpg under similar conditions, but what is the max (US)gallons you've stuffed into a vented wagon? (I'm assuming yours is vented) I ask because the first half of the tank...
  13. Norman

mpg advantage, sedan vs wagon.

If you're asking about the Mk4s, the window sticker listed 50 mpg hwy vs. 49 for a wagon vs. Golf, if I remember right. I don't have a sedan, but I'm guessing a 4 dr hatch is close enough. I'm also guessing the longer wagon body gives it an aerodynamic advantage over the sedan or hatch. We...
  14. Norman

Beat up fender liners - What to do?

The point was to go at the tabs on the side holding the cover onto the rest of the cupholder. Once you have separation of top/bottom, you'll have access to the guts and things will become more apparent. Just don't be ham-fisted about getting in there.
  15. Norman

Take a look at this vid only for the plastic tabs on the sides that hold the lid/body of the cupholder together. Pick one side or the other but after you get some separation it should be apparent what you need to do. You will be able to get to the innards to re-lube as needed. Be careful...
  16. Norman

On the liners they're pretty standard, I don't think gasser vs. TDI liners are going to be different in their mounting holes/points, so maybe it was just hanging up someplace and was not fully seated. Did you start from one end and fill in the holes to the other end, or did you pin both ends and...
  17. Norman

WTB: 15 Center caps

Have you tried your local PnP or recycle yard? There are about a bazillion Mk4s that are meeting the end right about now, so it shouldn't be hard to find 4 center caps for not too much coin? The hard part is if you're picky about whether the VW logos are still stuck on them...
  18. Norman

Polish headlights, laminix film, no more hazing over?

There are multiple kits you can buy from all over the place that essentially do the following: 1) Scratch the heck out of your plastic lenses. First time is a leap of faith. 2) Uses increasingly finer sandpaper grades to buff out the lenses 3) Finishes with a polish to seal off the plastic. In...
  19. Norman

Polish headlights, laminix film, no more hazing over?

I polished the plastic OE HLs on my '00 Golf a bunch of years ago (like 5+, at least), and Lamin-X'd them and they still look good today. I don't detect any yellowing or fogging that plagues the unprotected OE lenses. One interesting thing is the Lamin-X will create an interesting "ripple"...
  20. Norman

I wanted it, but

I wanna say Mk5 bolt pattern is 5x112, versus the Mk4s being 5x100. I've got both as well and I've never considered swapping wheels around and I think that's why. Honestly, how can you be proud of your TDI with pic #12? :p