Search results

1. S

WTB: 99.5 ECU with Malone stage 1.5

looking for a 99.5 ECU with Malone stage 1.5 tune thanks Mike
  2. S

Head Gasket Diagnosis Help - Would you post a quick video of ALH coolant cap removal?

I'm having trouble diagnosing a *possible* head gasket breach. Been reading up on here regarding the amount of "normal" pressure in the cooling system. Would any kind and willing ALH owners (with good motors!) post up a quick video clip of removing your coolant pressure cap after a freeway...
  3. S

Need help with diagnosing noise in serpentine belt system.

Engine has developed what I'd describe as a "metallic drone". When I remove the serpentine belt the sounds goes away. I haven't been able to pin-point which component it's coming from. When I spin all the pulleys in the system I don't hear or feel any usual noises/grinding, etc I replaced the...
  4. S

WTB dark green hatch handle, mk4 golf

needed a new locking mechanism for my hatch, linkage was broken and handle was a little rusty. pulled a silver handle from the wreckers with good linkage for $10. swapped out my old lock cylinder into the mechanism in the silver handle. installed on car, works great, but color looks dumb...
  5. S

free- ALH- EGR and ASV, was leaking and ASV not working - pick-up in san jose CA

was just going to toss this... but i think i remember reading on here some guys rebuild these or have a broken ASV lever and looking for parts? the egr was leaking a little out of the hole on the side and the ASV didn't work. but lever etc is intact etc. when i swapped in a new one, ASV now...
  6. S

free - ALH oil pan - stripped drain plug threads - must pick-up in san jose CA

po stripped out threads in the drain and jammed a bigger plug in there, so i swapped it out for a new one. aside from that it's in good shape. was going to heli-coil this and keep for a spare, but never got around to buying the tap kit and don't have the room to stockpile parts. if you could use...
  7. S

po strikes again... WHAT the hell am i looking at?? EGR cooler pipe welded shut??

I'm still trying to track down my intermittent alh performance issue. getting a MAF reading showing more air than expected at idle. the ASV was non-opp, so last month i replaced with a new EGR/ASV unit and found that the old bolts connecting the EGR to the EGR cooler pipe were only finger...
  8. S

anybody near san jose have an ALH n18 or n75 valve (model year 1999.5) to borrow?

I'm trying to solve some intermittent power issues on my alh motor. instead of throwing money at parts i'd love to borrow a known working n18 or n75 to try and varify one, or both, of mine are flakey. the looooong shot is that you have one from a mk4 from 1999.5, unfortunately the connector is...
  9. S

idiot PO or HACK mechanic strikes again... need help/advise on Glow Plug FUBAR

I love TDI's and i love surprises, just not the two together... yesterday was performing a compression test on my 99.5 ALH Golf. i can smell coolant in the cabin, and reading on the forums here - that a blown head gasket can wipe out the heater core, and to run the car without an o-ring in the...
  10. S

Intermittent lack of power - please help decipher vag-com logs

i'm doing a bunch of reading on here regarding low power issues and trying to digest it all. figured i'd post some vag-com logs in case there's something easily spotted by any vets! no fault codes. Some days the car runs with plenty of power above 3.5K, other times it completely craps out @ 3K...
  11. S

Guru question: does an A4 ALH and B4 AFN have the same crankshaft diameter?

going to loan out my crank seal puller and seal installer to another member but realized they may not work for his application... I have an '99.5 ALH, they have an '96 AFN engine compatible? also, is the crank nut the same? thanks Mike
  12. S

feedback on 100% bio suppliers

feedback on 100% bio suppliers?
  13. S

WTB: stock belly pan/skid plate 99.5 Golf -- Bay Area CA

my car didn't come with one when i bought it I just did my timing belt, rollers, water pump, crank seal... rainy season is coming, so just looking for a cheap/used/stock plastic belly pan... just something to keep it dry and somewhat protected while i continue to fix other more pressing i$$ues...
  14. S

Newbie timing belt job. Advice needed - have i accidentally streeeeetched the T-belt?

hi guys sorry for all the newb questions, but being cautious as i'm learning about this car and motor doing things for the first time, etc. i did a search and didn't really find this asked before. i'm wondering if i may have stretched my timing belt, and if so, should i be worried? finished my...
  15. S

Want to RENT crank lock and crank seal install tools

hi there Does anybody have a crank seal replacement tool "set" for rent? I'm in the queue to rent from another member on here, but the person they rented to is "sitting" on the tools for weeks and not returning them. and my car has been on stands in the driveway for a few weeks and really need...
  16. S

advice needed - i scratched the cam cap bearing surface...

butter-fingers here... i just replaced my cam seal and when i was putting the cam cap back on i managed to slip and the cam cap studs lightly scratched the inside surface on the cap. it doesn't look too bad, but i can definitely feel it snag on my finger nail. is there a way to polish this out...
  17. S

anybody have the **Crank Seal Tools** for rent?

hoping to get this timing belt job done, but looks like the crank seal is leaking... and it's all apart in the driveway now... 175K miles on it... now seems like a good time but after reading up on here i'm a bit spooked to try this with leavering out with a screwdriver and driving back in with...
  18. S

engine mount stripped... anybody have Time-Sert (m12 x 1.50)

Crap... doing the TB on the car i just bought and after taking the engine mount bolts out 1 of the holes looks pretty bad... doesn't look like it could take another 75lbs of torque.. searching on here, these look pretty trick http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=369932 Kit is ~ $85 but i...
  19. S

Newbie's First Timing Belt -Question about IP sprocket...

Hi there, New guy here, doing the timing belt sooner than I had planned... Just picked up a 1999.5 Golf with ~ 170K on it Car came with a receipt for a timing belt change @ ~ 105K However, looking more closely at the itemized receipt- it lists a timing belt, water pump and serpentine belt...