Search results

1. F

Question regarding BEW/BRM valves

That explains what the R & D guys are trying to do as well as anything. Drag and Turbulent flow . The benefit is 'marginal', as far as I can tell. If it does as some claim and reduce soot, as less need for the DPF and regen would be needed; that would be great. Otherwise, it seems that...
  2. F

I wish I could get more of the BEW pistons, especially in oversize, but they never were and likely never will be available. I believe their advantage of not having a valve relief in them improves the swirl chamber effect. There are companies 'improving' the flow of pistons by 'dimpling'. I...
  3. F

The first comment: In the stock form of the BRM, you cannot use it with the BEW block, which has not valve reliefs in the pistons. Getting the BEW head would make more sense. But that is likely not an option. Then, you were talking about getting BEW valves to see if that would change the...
  4. F

Ok, I answered the question asked, but there is a lot of totally unrelated information than whether a BRM head can be used to do a BEW job. The most direct answer is NO. The BEW is the only TDI engine I know that the piston tops are flat, which by the way, means a much better swirl chamber...
  5. F

I think it would be wasting a perfectly good BRM head, but if you remove about .030” off the valve seats and changed to the shorter BEW valves, you could figure it out. Maybe you should cut valve pockets into the BEW pistons and use the. current pistons and valves.
  6. F

MK5 TDI 06 sounds like a helicopter, engine codes p0101, and p0299.

YA4QTDI, You and I will have to disagree on the reason for an oil pump upgrade. Although there is a problem with PD cams, it is not an issue with the cam followers, but it's the opening pressures and the poor cam lobe design that makes the cam/ lifters wear out. Add to that poor oil choice...
  7. F

Way Too Much To List... Stafford, Va. B4 and A4 mainly

I see, I saw. I got a bigger hoard than that. He and I have gone back and forth over the years. One day, I'll be making a foundry and melt all these heads down. Who knows what theses heads will be next... Aluminum statues of Elvis, maybe.
  8. F

wierd problem with turbo/tappets/camshaft...?

Someone got their timing way off. The cracked lifters are valve/ piston contact. It would appear the mechanic mis-timed it, then corrected the timing, not realizing he did what I call 'incidental contact'. It probably did not bend the valves, but if it had continued to be driven, the tops of...
  9. F

Comment by 'Franko6' in media 'PXL_20240314_020313197.MP_4Rm2jwIs3U.jpeg'

It's really busy. Don't have time for this. You can't leave valve guides in the head and expect to get the port done. Your understanding of flow rate is backward. I don't think you made it worse. Not sure you made it better. Put it on. See what happens.
  10. F

MK5 TDI 06 sounds like a helicopter, engine codes p0101, and p0299.

Sometimes looks are deceiving. There are all sorts of 'information', like a cam that is CRAP is lighter. There are things you can do to make a bad cam run better, but it's better to have a properly made cam. The 'off the shelf' stuff is a solid lifter profile and beats up the cam followers...
  11. F

Used Alh tdi

PM, Email, Call.
  12. F

Beginnings of a blown head gasket?

You assume I have a brain, but yes, you can. But I'll answer your most obvious question. Does replacing the head gasket solve your problem? Probably not.. most likely, not. The most common issue for engines with a blown head gasket is the engine, whether known or not, either had an overheat...
  13. F

Reviving 02 Beetle after botched timing belt change 5 years ago

When the cam sticks, and I can only assume you removed the vacuum pump... Whack it with a non-marring hammer. It will pop up without any damage.
  14. F

Injector rebuild Canada

Yeah, maybe so, I have done the 'Ill Eagle' thing before...was reading between Canadian's post and yours. I did see PD injectors mentioned that the builder says 'good for 280+ hp. And honestly, I am still curious why nozzles that threatened to destroy my transmission in my car, are...
  15. F

Injector rebuild Canada

Burpod, I love you man, but when you recommend anything close to 300 hp, not only are you breaking the piggy bank, you are also breaking the engine. I NEVER recommend ANY PD to push 200, therefore, the stock injectors are generally a REASONABLE limit...for those who don't want to turn it into a...
  16. F

Injector rebuild Canada

There is a lot of things I can tell you about PD injectors. #1 thing, they are THE bugaboo for the engine. For if you need a head rebuilt, figure $1600-$2000. If your injectors are bad, that really puts lots of these engines in a deep hole, as historically, the complete injector set can go...
  17. F

I accidentally bought a 06 Jetta TDI BRM 171k

I do head units.. but as far as I know, they don’t play music. So…I thought you meant ill eagle. nevermind…lol
  18. F

Reviving 02 Beetle after botched timing belt change 5 years ago

STDoubt, Thank you for your support.. I have to chuckle that wetwilly found 2 machine shops too cheap to consider. But he's right. There is a lot of stuff to do and there are no short-cuts. Although good parts do not necessarily cost more money, poor parts can end up costing you a LOT! BTW...
  19. F

Injector rebuild Canada

Seattle, What are you trying to achieve? I believe many don't realize there is more potential in a stock injector than credit is given. Otherwise, more gains are often sought than are practical to assume. I have to be away from the office the latter part of this week, so my time is...
  20. F

tuning analysis - what's in a malone tune - starter kit

my contention is some will make a tune work, when they should hold back and admit an engine is not competent for a tune. The other issue is being in a hurry to make the sale, instead of giving an engine time to settle in. Those are the issues.