Search results

1. D

LONG POST! hard starting 2004 PD, tandem pump vs. timing question

Well, at least the price hasn't changed much. Just ordered my second one of these, car is hard to start again. 60$ for a magnet on a wire. Sigh.
  2. D

Timing Belt job needed in Chapel Hill

Thanks all. I had a shop scheduled, but was forced to take the car for a long road trip of doom. Climbing up Black Mountain (of doom) right outside Asheville, I ran into traffic. Slowed down and noticed steam coming out of the hood. Oops. Water pump was gone. Towed in to a shop that...
  3. D

Augie, I should remove that from my profile, I haven't done that in a very long time. The secret was to slow down. Back then I had the time to, but I no longer have that time. I'm in the 46-50mpg range flooring it down the road. Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can do!
  4. D

Hi All, Well, I've rolled over 300k on my 2004. Actually 10k over that :eek:. I've been procrastinating. I had a great guy from here helping me with timing belts in Md, but I'm living in Chapel Hill now. And I have no clue as to where I should get my timing belt changed. Help - Will you...
  5. D

Rt. 40 Durham NC close to RTP Blue Bora red letter TDI w/FMIC

and lots of ripped up plastic front and back. I see a lot of TDIs down here, but a big FMIC makes me turn my head. Are you using bio in that? I could tell it was you I was smelling before you were gone, and knew it was diesel of some sort. I thought it smelled like bio, too. Nothing...
  6. D

Problem does seem to be with the bloody magnet on a wire. I haven't had a lot of time to work on this, but did get the car running after checking the connection at the plug and cleaning the tip of the magnet. Magnet didn't need cleaning, plug was fully plugged. I think it was just getting the...
  7. D

Yet another G28 engine speed sensor problem

So, take the battery out... No problem. Do I need to do anything with that big web of wiring that's all bound together? I'll clean those tomorrow when I find either a 9mm 12 point or the triple square, I was thinking it was an 8mm triple square.
  8. D

The problem is when the weather is warm, and seems to be worse in the summer. So, I've never had a problem starting the car when I've had to use the glow plugs. Now it's 90º outside, and the problem is worse than ever. I typically have the problem after the car sits for awhile, so I didn't...
  9. D

I replaced the sensor after that. Never fixed the problem. It's gotten bad enough so that this weekend I've not been able to start the car. I'll clean the sensor, but I think it's going to go into a shop, I guess. No other code thrown, just this annoying one.
  10. D

Yet another G28 engine speed sensor problem

I have the same issue. I have a thread about this somewhere. It's been getting worse for the past few years until yesterday the car just refuses to start. I've replaced the sensor in question, problem may have gotten better for a bit. I don't know. Shortly afterwards the weather turned...
  11. D

Name that mod!

that's not the stock exhaust. with a fmic, there must be stuff under the hood, too. (some of it probably not findable from a pic, of course, but...)
  12. D

best route ny to florida?

I second the 81/77 option. I stay off of 95 when I get the chance. It's not fun even without the people. 81 is a much nicer road to travel on. The time estimate and mileage difference (given by google maps) is trivial compared with the frustrations of 95.
  13. D

LSD vs ASR

Can you give me some idea of the cost to put an ASR, EDL, MSR, ESP system or parts into a 04 jetta with non of that? I'm just looking for improved snow handling, and on a budget. So the EDL would suffice (as I understand), and the ESP would be great (since it has everything included, right?)...
  14. D

update: never did get the problem fixed. But, since the weather turned cold I'm no longer having the hard start issue. I don't know if the problem fixed itself (ha), or if this is just another symptom. But... I've got to get the timing belt changed soon. I'll have everything checked over...
  15. D

thanks everyone for the help. I've never really used the photo selection searcher, I'll have to give that one a go next time. That engine bay looks like it's for the ALH engine, not the BEW, though. Is the Engine Speed Sensor in the same place? I haven't changed the battery yet, but that...
  16. D

It's the weekend, and I have the car to play with! Checked the timing, it's running at -1.0* which is a bit behind but in spec. I've only got another 15k for this timing belt anyhow. I'll let that go. Then I pulled out the airbox, and started remembering the horrible time I had getting...
  17. D

Water in Driver's Side Floor!

did you check the sunroof drain openings at the top of the car around the sunroof, or did you check the drains that are visible when the doors are open? When I've had water in the floorboards it's been because one of the rubber drains visible with an open door was clogged up. Running something...
  18. D

eh, I'll answer it. YES. I have. thanks everyone for more things to look up! EDIT: Ok, I'm reading through this post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=239987 Looks promising, thanks PDJetta. But does anyone have a picture with the sensors in question located, and the...
  19. D

as promised, the long crank hard starting code: Address 01: Engine Labels: None Part No SW: 038 997 016 L HW: 028 101 114 6 Component: R4 1,9L EDC G000SG 3791 Revision: 12345678 Serial number: VWZ7Z0C8554624 Coding: 0150031 Shop #: WSC 09146 444 58683 1 Fault...
  20. D

yeah, that's the easy check. But I don't have the car for the majority of the week (wife's doing the long distance driving now, so she stole my car! And stays in Md for most of the week, which is rough in many ways, some of which are about car work). So I'm trying to use what information I...