Search results

1. Canadian_Grizzly

Give the gift that keeps on giving...

This Christmas give yourself the best gift you can... find a real GURU to work on your car. Its a gift that keeps on giving... Personally I have to drive 600 miles for mine but its well worth it. And for all you real GURU's out there and especially the ones that participate in this forum -...
  2. Canadian_Grizzly

CV Joint Emergency Fix

Not a fix really but could get you down the road without a tow. Here is what happened. Moderate vibration on acceleration turned into severe vibration and clunking sound. I recalled my dealer lamenting that whenever he tried to diagnose CV's they would often stop vibrating after being on the...
  3. Canadian_Grizzly

Its finally time for a clutch!

After 538,000 kms it seems my clutch has finally gone. Actually its not really the clutch but the DMF is really started to chatter which means I'm due for a replacement. Fortunately Brian at Roseland (for all of us in Canada) is available to supply parts. I've ordered the Valeo clutch kit with...
  4. Canadian_Grizzly

Where is Doc M

Its been a long time since we have been blessed with his presence. Anyone know what is up?
  5. Canadian_Grizzly

TDI Jingles

Winter Fuelling Jingle Oh the weather outside if frightful Your TDI Delightful My gauge if getting low Got to go, getting low getting low Forget about Biodiesel When the weather makes you shrivel Your fuel will start to gell Winter hell, starts to gell, shoulder bound Now if you are running...
  6. Canadian_Grizzly

To Good to be True?

Too Good to be True? Found what sounds to be a deal too good to be true. Car is located across the country from me. Car is underpriced and now she is offering shipping. With a deal under 5 thousand for a low miles A4 wagon. Here is the last email I received. Am I at risk of losing the money? *...
  7. Canadian_Grizzly

Grizzly A/C Problems HELP

I've read the Troubleshooting guide by Dan...thanks. But I think my compressor is toast. My condensor is not kicking on. Both fans are running when A/C button is on. I had the system recharged...no go. Jumped 12v straight to compressor and the clutch still didn't engage. So I'm thinking I'll be...
  8. Canadian_Grizzly

Mechanic screwed my engine

I went in for a coolant leak at the back of my 98 Chevy Full size pu with Vortex engine. He was going to replace my intake gasket. When he was done I went to start it and it ran like crap. Took it back to him and he started throwing parts at the engine. Spark plugs, new distributor, spark plug...
  9. Canadian_Grizzly

Seasonal Pet Peeve … Windchill

Every winter the forum is inundated with battery, fuel gelling, cold start issues and posters tell us its -?? Degrees but its even colder due to the windchill and now my car won’t start etc. Windchill has NO effect on an inanimate object other than cooling it to the ambient temperature of the...
  10. Canadian_Grizzly

New Head...should I do the bottom end?

Diagnosis is in on my 02 ALH with engine troubles. I will be putting a rebuilt head on the engine... nothing but Franks or new. Engine has 433,000kms or 270,000 miles. Lifter decided to commit suicide but no apparent impact or damage below the head itself. Engine ran great and has never...
  11. Canadian_Grizzly

The Gizz needs some help...Engine Trouble

Well I'm hoping this isn't major but...I'm sure it is! Driving home and all of a sudden I hear a loud clattering (loud engine) with puffing sounds every engine cycle. When at an idle it runs very rough with puffing sounds and ticking with thick black smoke out the tail pipe, coupled with slight...
  12. Canadian_Grizzly

Heavy Load Thumping

I'm worried that my clutch is about to give up the ghost... I have long miles on my car 430,000 kms and periodically I experience significant thumping in my drivetrain. The first time it happened....if I recall correctly I put the clutch in slowing down and it made quite a clatter. Now only in...
  13. Canadian_Grizzly

In Neutral Wheels Turn

I have the car up on blocks to try to diagnose a vibration under load... start car and while the car is in neutral the front axle rotates... albeit slowly and I can stop it with my fingers. BUT why would a manual transmission transmit any energy into spinning the front tires while idleing in...
  14. Canadian_Grizzly

When will I get my paws back?

Isn’t life interesting... summer whipped by and I’ve put off some non-crtical maintenance (contol arm bushings, intake clean etc) Bathroom renovation, rental house trashed by tenants, sold MIL’s house all took precedent. I’ve had carpal tunnell issues for well over ten years and I finally had...
  15. Canadian_Grizzly

Diagnosing and Fixing Limp mode for A4 1.9TDI [low power troubleshooting]

Diagnosing and Fixing Limp mode for A4 1.9TDI By Canadian Grizzly Read the entire post prior to jumping to conclusions. This is a general overview on how to diagnose and fix a A4 1.9TDI that goes into “limp” mode due to an overboost of the turbo. While I’m by no means an expert I’ve gleaned...
  16. Canadian_Grizzly

Diagnosing and Fixing Limp mode for A4 1.9TDI [low power troubleshooting]

Diagnosing and Fixing Limp mode for A4 1.9TDI By Canadian Grizzly Read the entire post prior to jumping to conclusions. This is a general overview on how to diagnose and fix a A4 1.9TDI that goes into “limp” mode due to an overboost of the turbo. While I’m by no means an expert I’ve gleaned...
  17. Canadian_Grizzly

Car Still Runs Great

In an effort to keep folks minds in perspective and the forum a bit balanced I think its time to chime in again with some positive comments. Recently passed 300,000 kms and my 02 has never left me on the side of the road. Still on original brakes and the only part I'm looking for at the moment...
  18. Canadian_Grizzly

Tired Suspension Advice

Approaching 300,000km on stock suspension in my 02 TDI Jetta. I am getting clunking on potholes but the general ride seems fine however I do know that my shocks and struts are probably toast. I have the opportunity to get stock springs and shocks from a 2000 1.8 Jetta that were taken off early...
  19. Canadian_Grizzly

Winter Fuel Solution?

Anyone in the north takes a hit when the retailers change to winter fuel. I'm considering using an old 300 gallon bulk tank in my yard, filling with summer fuel and using my own mixture of antigel and cetane boost... looking for someone who has done the same and the results or other cautions or...
  20. Canadian_Grizzly

Intake Cleaning Debriefing

Well I finally bit the bullet and did my intake! I was sick this week and I figured the only way I would stay home is pull my car apart (most of my work is on the road). My 02 TDI has just over 232,000 km and after reading tons of testimonials on this forum about the intake I figured its time...