Search results

1. M

Rebuild or Junk Yard engine?

Hmmmm, I think I'm familiar with this car- happened in Deerfield about a month ago? If so, guess who did the report? ;) Brad
  2. M

PArking Brake Cable.

Look where it says "Overview", highlighted in red, second line down... "Quantity sold: sold individually" Sounds like a single cable to me... Brad
  3. M

200,000 mile club... roll call!

Just turned 200k on my '05 A4 Jetta on the way home from work the other day. Still runs like a top! I guess I'd better think about getting ahold of Jason for a timing belt change! Brad
  4. M

Trunk Switch

Maybe a dumb question, but is the trunk switch locked? I did this once, couldn't figure out why the interior trunk switch wouldn't work, until I remembered that I had locked it at some point and had forgotten to unlock it. Might just want to put the key in the lock by it and give that a twist...
  5. M

wisc tdi owners

FUNNY! Even I know not to F with the traffic guys- they're worse than the State Patrol!:D And for the Yukon horn- will that fit in the Jetta?;) Brad
  6. M

wisc tdi owners

Mazomanie is in Dane Co, I grew up there. And those Dane Co. deputies can be real pricks sometimes! Brad
  7. M

Suspension banging noise coming from left-rear, only happens making left turn ???

When you put in the new shocks the first time, did you also replace the shock mounts at the top? I've read that they can wear out and cause a clunk. It's at least another place to check out or rule out. Good luck- chasing down odd noises that of course only occur while in motion has got to be...
  8. M

Passengers side Pop

I had also bought my ball joints from IDparts, they were the $20 ones, and at the time the only choice they offered. If there was only one bolt present, it could certainly follow that the excess play that was sure to be there could prematurely damage the joint itself. I would think the TRW...
  9. M

Passengers side Pop

Like I said, I didn't think it could be the ball joints either on mine- almost new and no play when the wheel was tugged on at 12 and 6... but it was the ball joints after all. After talking with JasonTDI, I replaced the cheap ones I had installed and put in OEM, and now- no noise. So again-...
  10. M

Passengers side Pop

When you replaced the struts and mounts, did you also replace the ball joints? The reason I ask is that I had a pop like that when turning into my driveway with the lip, and it turned out to be the ball joints. I had replaced them when I did a suspension refresh (ball joints, struts and mounts...
  11. M

Passengers side Pop

If you turn the steering wheel fully from lock to lock while stationary, does it make the popping sound? Mine did this a couple of years ago, and it was the strut bearing that was binding, and is a fairly common occurrence from my understanding. The mount kit you linked to is what you need to...
  12. M

Suspension is a GO!

I would go with the OEM ball joints, versus the $20 ones. After having replaced the Meyle/Febi/whatever cheapos after 6 months (started clunking after 4!), I highly recommend doing it with the better OEM the first time. And for a point of reference, my car's suspension is basically stock, the...
  13. M

Adding New Head Unit - Keeping Monsoon -

Cliffman, Yep, you need that adapter, per Crutchfield. The dash kit and antenna adapter look right. Also, be aware of this as well, also per Crutchfield: Installation Details for your 2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback with 2 doors; with Monsoon sound system To install this item, you'll have to...
  14. M

Does ATE Super Blue make clutch squeak?

I used ATE Super Blue on my '05 when I changed out the brake fluid 3 years ago, based on recommendations on this forum. No issues with squeaking noticed during the two years it was in there. Maybe it did, and maybe someone with dog-like hearing could detect it, but my human ears couldn't. As...
  15. M

2005.5 TDI BRM or BEW?

Cool- my '05 BEW Jetta sedan is rare! :D Brad
  16. M

Febi Ball joints

When they told me the price, I think my reply was something along the lines of "What? Yeah, go ahead and keep those, I'll get them both on line for less than the price you charge for one.":D And good call on the stud nuts- just try and find them elsewhere! They're a 1.5 pitch, not common in...
  17. M

Febi Ball joints

That's just it- some things they are outrageous like this, other things, like G070 gear oil was only $.05 more than idparts.com. Brad
  18. M

Febi Ball joints

Not Febi, but the Meyle that I put in my '05 Jetta lasted a whopping 4 months (about 10k miles) before clunking badly. On the advice of my local guru JasonTDI, I replaced them with OEM. Much more better! I got mine from 1stvwparts.com, something like $43 and $46 each (each side is a different...
  19. M

Mini Rant.

Yep, I know exactly where Schneider Rd is! We take our dogs to Forest Ridge Kennels on Sandhill Rd (?), just off Schneider, south of the monks. If you ever need a place to kennel your beasts, I highly recommend them. Good luck with the move, if you need a hand with anything, let me know...
  20. M

Mini Rant.

Jason, So you were able to get the place off hwy 138? That'll make it very hard for me to just stop in and harass you now! I always enjoy swapping the stories of the various asshats that we both seem to come across. I can kinda say your current shop is on my way home- your new one will...