Search results

1. G

TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

Congrats on the upgraded rides. I turned in my generation 2.5 Passat for the buyback money. VW gave Gen2.5 owners nothing compared to the earliest or later TDIs. The fix money was good, I guess they figured that the fix for ours would be easier, but it turned out to be one of the last ones to...
  2. G

I sent my 2013 Passat TDI back to VW because... diesel, and I found the oil change to be a royal pain in the arse. It had a top mount paper filter and they wisely routed some kind of thick rubber/braided hose across the top of the filter housing. You had to wiggle and maneuver the housing at...
  3. G

There has been discussion here and other fourms that state that coasting in gear with modern diesels actually cuts the fuel and uses momentum to keep the engine rotating. It's been said that this uses less fuel than putting it into N and coasting, as being in N requires fuel to keep the motor...
  4. G

My 535D M Sport averages 37 to 40 MPG, with approximately 580 to 640 miles per tank. This is mostly freeway driving with plenty of CA stop and go traffic. So I consider my numbers mixed city and highway. I regularly hit about 43 MPG on the freeway before I hit traffic, which slowly brings...
  5. G

When I was researching my TDI replacement I was told that the x-drive can be partially "fixed" by unbolting the front driveshaft and removing it thereby converting it to RWD. I think there was a sensor to unplug, and it threw no codes. Drove normally this way. This was stated by owners, but...
  6. G

6 months ago I traded in my 13 passat TDI for a CPO 535D M SPORT. So far loving the idea of still driving a diesel but with the added bonus of tons of torque compared to the 2.0L. I even occasionally use the turn signals as a tribute to my VW roots, even though owning a BMW exempts me from...
  7. G

BMW 328d vs. VW TDIs

Just picked up a 535D M SPORT. Wow what a monster of an engine. The issue you will have with other German brands are the option packages. If you are looking used, no two will be similarly equpied. They can be optioned a million different ways. It's not two levels and no other options...
  8. G

Mazda still in the diesel game?

Lol. I waited for the Mazda 6 diesel and ended up buying a 2013 passat TDI instead. 60k miles later just traded the tdi in for a 535D M SPORT. Both the partnership with Toyota (fuel cell and hybrid) and the announcement of the next gen skyactiv motors pretty much killed the idea of a Mazda...
  9. G

If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

Just purchased a 535d M Sport. Fantastic car. Little smaller in the back but more fun to drive - almost scary with its power. Amazing tech in the car, despite being a 2014 (last gen model). I've never needed to read a manual before, but this thing is like driving a computer. Sent from my...
  10. G

Appears to be a Fix for Gen 1 cars! Gen 2-3 are Software.

You'll never fail a test without the fix. It's designed to cheat the test. And you'll get a sticker with reduced emission requirements if you do get the fix. Lastly, any state that accepts the settlement can NOT deny you registration because of the diesel issue, fix or not. Sent from my...
  11. G

Electric vehicles (EVs), their emissions, and future viability

Get off my lawn. Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  12. G

That's for gen3. Gen 2 got even less warranty. Haven't seen what gen1 would be. This is VW here, they will warrant it up to a point. The way gen3 got their warranty it points to the DPF lasting about 80k. If you have fewer than a certain number of miles (60k?) they will not replace the...
  13. G

You do more damage to a TDI with low mileage and short trips than excessive mileage. There are plenty here who can tell you why... Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  14. G

You forgot the "void whatever warranty offered" part. Some may not care if they are driving the wheels off, but some might not want to bank the payoff for the HPFP repair that's waiting for them just to undo the fix. Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  15. G

Electric vehicles (EVs), their emissions, and future viability

Correct. Tesla's is just like any other car but with a different motor/fuel setup. These things have fluids and pumps and gears and oil, etc. Not as much, but still there. And that motor that never wears out? Average RPM of 19,000 which is nearly 5x the typical gas motor RPM. Lot of heat...
  16. G

Trading in your VW TDI? What will be your next car

Funny, I have a dead Ford in my driveway...dead transmission. Ford is known for HORRIBLE transmissions. I wish you luck. I would have chosen the Toyota Avalon hybrid instead especially if you value reliability over driving excitement. Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  17. G

Gen 2 2.0l Fix announcement 5/19/17

So no one is worried about the wording on the paperwork sent regarding the fix being applied when other work is done on the car?
  18. G

Thanks and so long . . .

LOL please don't state EPA figures as your proof (especially from a company fined for mis-stating EPA figures). Just about any modern car will get 40 MPG on the freeway. You just can't drive it hard and get those figures. Heck my C6 gets great mileage on the freeway. But just look at...
  19. G

Gen 2 2.0l Fix announcement 5/19/17

Anyone worried about wording in the mailer stating that if you come in for other work they MAY slap on the fix anyway? I think this oxygen sensor recall is a way to get everyone in and forced into a fix. CA can't deny registration for dieslegate related fixes but they can for others. And...
  20. G

1. My 2013 is an SEL Premium, what replacement should I settle down to? 2. I purchased my 2013 as a CPO in late 2014/early 2015. Still have a couple years left on the loan. As I have posted in other threads the gen2 owners are NOT getting the great payouts the older or newer models got...