Search results

1. J

Idle Fuel Consumption w/ Max Alternator Output

Using the car/inverter does have its merits. Lost power for a week several years ago. Neighbor's oxygen generator unit required electricity 24X7. The medical solution was to transport him out of the area. This was difficult and expensive given the conditions and damage. The solution I used...
  2. J

Asking for a favor - Help choose new tire

The Eco Plus is a good LRR tire unless it is loaded. Handling is terrible with a heavy load. Because I am cheap, and I bought a set of four, I ended using the Eco Plus on the front and some Nokian Entire load index 95 on the rear. If you are not loading the car down the Eco Plus is a good...
  3. J

Missing coolant!!

I had the same issue. It turned out that the radiator was leaking where the metal insert fitting was inserted in the plastic. Replaced the OEM radiator with aftermarket.
  4. J

LM 0w40 and Valvoline MST 5w40 VOAs

I have been using the 5W40 product for 80K. Seems ok with oil analysis. Adding 1 quart of 20W50 seems to reduce fuel mileage. Have you noticed this?
  5. J

F.S. MK4 wheels and tires 5x100 $140

Please check shipping costs to zip code 21713. Thanks
  6. J

2005.5 manual transmission fluid?

Be careful with the refill. The transmission is not mounted the way the design engineers wanted it... Slanted 15 degrees if I remember correctly... To refill it correctly, you have to remove speedometer and fill through that opening a precise amount. You need to look up the TSB in order to get...
  7. J

2006 Jetta TDI -- Running rough on acceleration

If it is vibration in the drive line, it sounds like the dual mass flywheel is failing.
  8. J

WTB EGR Valve 2001 Golf

Looking for an EGR valve for a 2001 Golf.
  9. J

Clutch Chatter?

Looks like you are informed and ready to present your case to VW. I believe that you will prevail. Keep us updated, and remember 50K down the road you will have to have a better fix. It's called single mass flywheel.
  10. J

Clutch Chatter?

Did you check the dual mass flywheel for rotational movement? I suspect that was worn. I went through the whole hard to get a smooth start, to vibration under load, to horrific noise at idle. The time from vibration under load to noisy idle was not that long, although I was doing a lot of...
  11. J

Clutch Chatter?

Did the dual mass flywheel fail, or did you loose the clutch?
  12. J

Clutch Chatter?

Yes, I agree to the extent that if you determine that the sachs clutch is installed then you are covered under the TSB as well as the power train warranty. When you are looking through the small inspection plate, you may see a lot of greasy black rubber from the dual mass flywheel if it is...
  13. J

Clutch Chatter?

If you continue to drive it as it is, the dual mass flywheel will continue to fall apart. It will get to the point that you will have a lot of noise and vibration at idle that can only be caused by the dual mass flywheel. Yes you run the risk, although small, the you might ruin the engine...
  14. J

Clutch Chatter?

Get your manual out and read what is covered under the power train warranty. You will find that the dual mass flywheel is covered 100%. It does not matter who made the device or how the vehicle was driven. It is covered. Tell them it is bad and needs to be replaced. It does not matter that...
  15. J

Clutch Chatter?

Be persistent and have VW replace the Dual Mass Flywheel under the power train warranty. The service manager may consider it a wear item but that is not what the owners manual states. Just take the manual in and show him that the flywheel is covered under the power train warranty. When they...
  16. J

Dent Removal @ Fest

You can count me in if Sunday is an option.
  17. J

JETTA FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH PROBLEM!!! HELP!!! Transmission

Well GEICO will cover the failed DMF and clutch. Thanks MARK 1 VW for your due diligence.
  18. J

JETTA FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH PROBLEM!!! HELP!!! Transmission

I have babied my car to 82K. Dual Mass flywheel failed as I coasted up to the traffic light. I get to argue with GEICO's mechanical breakdown insurance adjuster about the flywheel not being a normal wear item. Wish me luck.
  19. J

Steel Wheels for '09 JSW

I have a set of 4 16" steel wheels that I will be ready to sell before next winter. I am still wearing down the OEM rubber! Check back with me later this year.