Search results

1. A

TDI vs 1.8T/2.0T with current prices at the pump

I saw a few Teslas, but the strong impression is that every Euro matters, leading to the high number of insane motorcyclists who ride between the cars, and the electric standup scooter riders. Plus all the walkers looking at their cellphones, yikes. Didn't see any accidents though.
  2. A

TDI vs 1.8T/2.0T with current prices at the pump

A little off topic, but this discussion is an emotional trigger (heh). I just got back from a two-week trip to Italy, and it's the Germans and Fiat that rule over there. As many of you know, diesel remains extremely common there, even in the brand-new models. There are lots of wagon and...
  3. A

Passat fun

Must be some kind of force field.....
  4. A

Passat fun

That is epic: Pay off your mortgage, or buy a Franko6 cam. We are with you brother, got to be one of TDI Club's toughest decisions I've seen yet.
  5. A

Welcome me back!

How long have you been without? Asking for a friend...
  6. A

Virgin 05

Indeed. There is crushing evidence of it.
  7. A

Sons car in limp mode

Went through in my owner days and it's a common problem with this car. You've got to inspect the fat charge air hoses, from the turbo to the hard pipe, and the 90 degree hose at the top of the motor. Those are the most common offenders. It can be a small hole or split.
  8. A

Passat fun

That's a lot of torque in your yard, mate.
  9. A

Passat fun

I'm really happy to pass these two on to a young person who can do what's needed for these beauties. I wish we had recorded the parade of three Passat wagons leaving the neighborhood. What a rare sight! Happy driving and wrenching, Seth!
  10. Mechanic.png

Mechanic.png

you know, that thing
  11. A

Shake at idle

First, these cars are always going to vibrate more than a gasser. What you have described has been typical of almost all of these Passats. Suspects are the engine mounts-- look for red fluid staining under them. Don't forget the transmission mounts. They can develop significant cracks, are not...
  12. A

BHW manual swap to keep or delete BSM

Agreed 5HR, but what should the thoughtful Passat owner spend money on? The stereo? A seat cushion? (Only need one)? Flush the heater core, or wait till spring comes again? Maybe one new headlight? Replace the front tires? These are the questions the 200K plus owners face....
  13. A

Electrical gremlins - need help

Yep. At first touch, it may feel dry, the carpet pad can soak up a lot of water. It's sometimes only when you open the module and follow the wires toward the front that you find corrosion. You should unwrap the tape and separate them, pull on them, then you'll know for sure.
  14. A

B5.5 MY05 2.0 TDi P0299, P0101

The car will run with the MAF unplugged. The computer uses default values instead of actual. If the car runs better with it unplugged, then the MAF is bad. If no difference, MAF is not the problem.
  15. A

B5.5 MY05 2.0 TDi P0299, P0101

If it makes you feel better, it cost $300 10 years ago, so no inflation!! Until you get a new replacement, you might try Gorilla tape with a couple clamps around it. My 90 degree hose split once and we got home OK over 500 miles that way.
  16. A

Turbo Outlet hose question

Yikes! That is some improvising you got there, I wouldn't want to leave town with that setup. It looks like whoever was there didn't want to pay for the right hose, or lost the clips, or one of the clip retainers broke off.
  17. A

Dumb head light question

Has anyone else found the condition of the headlight wires to be piss poor? I've replaced the passenger side group because the insulation was crumbling. It must get hot in there
  18. A

My Thread for Advice, Guidance & Stupid Questions

A second to Thundershorts! Trans mounts can contribute a lot to vibration when they are cracked. Not too expensive, with the rest of the things you are doing, not much more to inspect them. Big hunks of rubber, can be very cracked, not hard for non-experts to change. Renewing them helped my car.
  19. A

Safe mode no CEL

There should be a code if you have VAG-COM, but no light. Time to check the charge air hoses and their connections!
  20. A

Code P0299 "turbo underboost" Resolution Repository

oh yes, I might have been the first to report that problem. Important for new owners of these to know about, could catch it ahead of time: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=243942