Search results

1. MikeS_18

New Battery time...after eight years on this one

Well, your experience may vary but my AGM battery did go dead rather abruptly and probably about 18 months in. I took it back to OReilly after trying to charge it for a couple days and they couldn't get it to respond at all. They wanted to give me a full replacement and I asked if I could get...
  2. MikeS_18

New (to me) Golf, complete with issues

I'd head into the attic and get another set of wheels. The AVUS' dumb this beauty down.
  3. MikeS_18

Fans run on slow for 5 mins after shutdown - new controller

Checked/swapped fuse 16. Replaced new fan control unit with old sketchy control unit - exact same results. Runs 10mins, give or take, when key is switched on. (sketchy FCU was initially replaced because fans would run intermittently for no reason) Now we're really stumped.
  4. MikeS_18

So I spent the morning with Rich (nutsnbolts) and found that I fubared the electromagnet install and it let loose, broke it's wiring and was rattling around under the belt wheel. dumbass, but at least it wasn't something rattling around in the engine making that God awful noise. Ordered a new...
  5. MikeS_18

Thanks! odd behavior certainly can be explained by corroded wiring. I'll check it out
  6. MikeS_18

The OP's ASE certified TDI guru (nutsnbolts) did the low side charge. I simply can't remember what the high side said. I swapped out fuse 16, no change in the 5 min fan run after engine shut off. Curious. Still need to do Oilhammer's sensor test. Tomorrow.
  7. MikeS_18

Well, i've got pressure on the low side.
  8. MikeS_18

Value???

Price it out with other cars for sale. For insurance purposes, you can show them comps and argue. But I'd guess $2500-3000 for a 16yr old car with 265k.
  9. MikeS_18

Does replacing the pressure sensor require the system to be evacuated?
  10. MikeS_18

Let me add more color on my situation before I read all those helpful responses. I had a leak in the condenser. I replaced that and did the fan controller while I had the front end off. I charged the AC system and the compressor clutch did not engage. Tested the magnet and it was bad -...
  11. MikeS_18

2003 Jetta 5 spd. I was having wacky performance with my fans for a while - they'd come on at weird times, would not shut down etc but my AC was inoperable so I unplugged them and didn't care. I started to work on my AC this August and while having the front off, I replaced the fan controller...
  12. MikeS_18

AdBlue heater recall

We've had the light on for about 4 months and since we're trading it in - late to the rebate party we didn't care. But I'm glad I decided to do nothing. Procrastination pays off!
  13. MikeS_18

Wow, so I compared and went with this battery - partly because I needed to get it TODAY - and this appears to be a good one...
  14. MikeS_18

My walmart battery lasted 92 months. That's excellent imo. Prices seems to have gone up since then... ;) I should cheap out since I won't have this car another 6 years, but I probably won't.
  15. MikeS_18

TDIFest 2018 planning discussion

Ok, that's a story we don't need to hear...
  16. MikeS_18

What did you do to your car today?

Replaced my LR wheel bearing. A first for me and a first for that particular bearing. 280K miles. NutsNBolts was on call in case I hit a snag - I almost did a couple times as it's not completely intuitive, but it worked out. I realize now that my car has a bunch of rattles and noises that...
  17. MikeS_18

Noisy blower motor - mice!

Well, before you go buy a new heater blower motor because the old one is rattling something wicked, pull the cabin filter out and take a look at it. You might find that there are 5 acorn shells on the wheel that are going round and round and it might not be a faulty motor at all. ask me how I...
  18. MikeS_18

IBW Gets a New Engine

Funny guy. yeah, sounds like a snap...
  19. MikeS_18

IBW Gets a New Engine

lol. I knew you'd jump on the USB port. It's a metaphor - which I think you were aware. And I don't want to lose my steering wheel controls which aftermarket head units don't without some gymnastics. But does the new radio actually receive radio stations? (cause these wagon's suck at that)
  20. MikeS_18

IBW Gets a New Engine

It's an interesting discussion. Purchased at 47,000 miles for $14k cash in 2007. Driven 240,000 miles and spent $16,500 on repairs/maintenance. I've spent $2400 on fuel during that time. If I wasn't so against car loans, I'd be in something else already. I long for a USB port and a...