Search results

1. G

A/C problem since radiator fan swap

Just checked--with the car idling, a/c switched off or on, fans do not come on.
  2. G

I'm not sure--there's so much noise when I'm on the highway that I 'm not sure I can hear the fans come on. I'll try to find out.
  3. G

Seriously? In a week, nobody has a suggestion?
  4. G

A/C was working normally and well before I had the radiator fans replaced with a used unit; now the a/c won't come on until the engine temp reaches 198-205 on the ultragauge. As long as the temp stays up, the a/c works fine, but if the temp drops below 198, the cooling stops. Any ideas? Thanks.
  5. G

UltraGauge

I love my Ultragauge. It was a real pain to set up properly--you have to follow the directions to the letter, even when they seem nonsensical--but since I got it set up, it's been great. I love the accurate engine temp readout, speed/rpm, etc. And my mpg readings are accurate and consistent...
  6. G

Sitting on the side of the road (again)

Have you checked the low-pressure fuel return lines that run between injectors? Mine had dried out enough to crack and let in air, stranding me on the highway. It would start, and run for 2-3 secs, with some smoke, then die. 5 hours waiting on a tow, two hours waiting for service at the...
  7. G

suspect head or HG, maybe dumb question

Hi, all, first a recap--for the last 6-8 weeks,my 97 GLX wagon with 96 IZ TDI transplant has been blowing some light smoke at startup, and for 20-30 seconds after, then all was fine. Running normally otherwise; normal power, fuel consumption, etc. but losing/using some coolant, on the order of...
  8. G

Skunkwerx/Dax in Louisville--where is he?

Anyone know what's going on with Dax and Skunkwerx in Louisville? I've been trying to reach him since early November, with phone messages left every couple of weeks since then, and several notes left at his shop. No response. I'm hoping to have him do some more work on my car, but at this...
  9. G

1997 Passat Outside Door Handle Gasket

May?? Will!! (fall into door, cause cursing)
  10. G

Help! Transmission won't engage, car won't move!

Good call, Steve, and thanks. The right axle had broken where it meets the yoke of the CV joint. Whew!...not fun, but I was imagining much worse.
  11. G

Help! Transmission won't engage, car won't move!

Please help...and soon! 5 sp B4 has been driving fine. Just pulled into a parking lot, and now the transmission won't engage. The cables aren't disconnected, the shifter still moves through all the gears - I checked each shifter position, and each moves the levers on the tranny to the proper...
  12. G

B4 wagon, sedan/TDI, VR6 LR spindles same?

Emergency question--I need a left rear spindle for the 97 GLX wagon, 15 inch 5-lug. Are the spindles the same for wagons and sedans? And by any chance are the spindles the same for 4-lug cars? Also, I can"t find a part no. for the GLX LR spindle--all I can find is for TDI. Can anyone...
  13. G

ZF steering rack rebuild in louisville, KY?

Hi, all--Any suggestions where I can get my steering rack reliably rebuilt, in or near Louisville? It's a 97 GLX, orig. VR6 but now TDI, so it's a ZF rack. (I don't really care whether I get a new rack, or a rebuilt one, or a rebuild of mine, so long as the quality is good w/ a decent...
  14. G

Power Steering System

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but what you should tell him is where the power steering reservoir is. (I don't know either--where is it, please?)
  15. G

Best place to get a battery blanket?

Hi, all--I'd like to get battery blankets for my 97 B4V GLX/TDI, and my daughter's 99 A4 Jetta TDI; I've looked a bit, but what I find mostly cost upwards of $65.00 each--a bit spendy right now. Anyone have a recommendation for a decent one that's significantly (or even some) cheaper? Or if...
  16. G

WTB alt/tensioner bracket for 96 tdi 1Z

Got one today. Thanks to all. Dave
  17. G

Urgent request--96 tdi 1Z alt,tensioner brkt

Got one nearly local today(150 mi drive). Car should be up and running again tomorrow. Thanks to all for the offers and advice. Dave
  18. G

Think I've found on locally--I'll know and post by tomorrow afternoon. Meanwhile, Thanks. Dave
  19. G

Urgent request--96 tdi 1Z alt,tensioner brkt

Think I've tracked one down locally--I'll know and post tomorrow afternoon. Meanwhile, thanks. Dave
  20. G

Hi, all--I'm in urgent need of the cast aluminum alternator/tensioner bracket for my 96 B4V 1Z engine. I believe the part no. is 028-903-139T Anybody have one, or know where I can get a good used one ASAP? I just can't afford a new one(more than $600.00), nor can I afford the...