Search results

1. P

need help with electrical gremlins

Sorry for the cross-post... but I need answers!! My '03 Jetta currently has a bad infestation of electrical gremlins that showed up last night. Here's what it has been doing (in chronological order): Last night- Battery light goes on Lose all dashboard instruments (spedometer, tachometer...
  2. P

need help with electrical gremlins

My '03 Jetta currently has a bad infestation of electrical gremlins that showed up last night. Here's what it has been doing (in chronological order): Last night- Battery light goes on Lose all dashboard instruments (spedometer, tachometer, odometer, fuel gauge) Regain all instrument gauges...
  3. P

noise coming from shift stick

This morning on my way into work I noticed an odd (kinda medium pitched) sound eminating from the shift stick whenever I shifted from 2 --> 3 or 4 --> 5 gear (i.e. the "up and over" gears). No noise when going up from other gears and no noise when down shifting from any gear. No problems...
  4. P

Gelled in motion... AGAIN grrrr

Let's just say, that I have a love/hate relationship with my Jetta, and this month it's been more HATE than anything else. I've ended up either on the side of the road or limping to my destination due to fuel gelling 3x so far in three weeks. Last week... who would've thought that diesel in...
  5. P

repair shops in Toledo, OH?

My alternator needs some help. Jetaah says that the job can be trusted to a non TDI-guru (he's a 1.5 hr drive away) locally. Anyone here have any experience with shops in the Toledo area? Unfortunately... I only know where NOT to take my car! Thanks! -Stephanie P.S. Sorry for cross-post...
  6. P

repair shops in Toledo?

My alternator needs some help. Jetaah says that the job can be trusted to a non TDI-guru (he's a 1.5 hr drive away) locally. Anyone here have any experience with shops in the Toledo area? Unfortunately... I only know where NOT to take my car! Thanks! -Stephanie
  7. P

windshield washer fluid leak

My windshield wiper fluid is leaking somewhere up front. It's a relatively slow leak, but quick enough that after filling up the resevoir, the low fluid light goes on within 2 weeks. I admit that normally my husband fixes the car, and I'm instructed to stay out of the way. But... after 6...
  8. P

ULSD rules finally enacted -and- what does it me for me?

June 1, 2006, Rollout of Cleaner-Burning Diesel Fuel Enables Advanced Pollution Control for Cars, Trucks, and Buses http://www.epa.gov/otaq/highway-diesel/index.htm So, if I read this correctly, sometime this summer ULSD will be replacing regular diesel. It's the sulpher content in diesel...
  9. P

dielectric grease for door seals?

After reading on the forum that a silicone spray will prevent your door seals from freezing shut, I finally got myself to Autozone to purchase some. However, the guy at the counter recommended dielectric grease instead. So... will dielectric grease (which we previously bought for MAF...
  10. P

resetting brake light switch?

My brake light switch is failing. DH went and got one from the dealer, but when installing it, his foot slipped off the brake pre-maturely. Now the switch has set itself at the wrong point and doesn't work correctly. Can the switch be re-set? I'm aware that the switch is under a recall...
  11. P

oil change: 5K or 10K

My husband and I are seeking your opinions regarding when the oil on our '03 Jetta should get changed. I say every 10K miles, he says every 5K miles- and both of us cite what we've read on this forum. So... which is it?? The Jetta gets ~2K miles on it per month. 75% of the miles are on the...
  12. P

balancing emissions with intake clogging

Forgive me if the info is spattered in various posts... but here's my dilemma. I think that a VW diesel is an environmentally friendly vehicle (when compared to other vehicles, not bikes). As a person who values clean air/clean water, I want good emissions controls on my vehicle. However...
  13. P

Thanks! and update

Thanks to all the people who worked hard to put this GTG together and take care of folks once they arrived. My husband and I definitely needed help once we got there as our Jetta started having power surges with belching black smoke en route =( We were the ones whose local mechanic did a...
  14. P

Jetta TDI Trailer Towing Capacity

I've had my 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI for almost exactly two years now. Have put 70K miles on it in that time and absolutely love it. I recently inherited a piano from my grandmother's estate about three states away and am thinking of installing a Class 1 (smallest available) tow package on my...
  15. P

EGR, in-sufficient flow

I've got a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI. Have 63,000 miles already. About two weeks ago, my check engine light came on, I had it read at AutoZone, and it came back with a "EGR, in-sufficient flow" error. The next day, the car died on me while driving to work. I had it towed to my mechanic (not the...
  16. P

HELP!! EGF error... again?!

Dear all, I have a 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. It has 63K miles on it. Early this week, the MIL went on and after taking it to get the code read for free- it was an EGF- insufficient flow. When en route to the mechanic, the Jetta died, and got towed to the mechanic. Using information found on...