Search results

1. F

which oil to use

Yeah that is what I did, I brought Castrol LL 5W30 with me. The new mechanic ordered some oil just in case I failed to bring my own. What he ordered (I told him 507) arrived same time I did so I don't know if mechanic made a mistake or the supplier??? I am trying to get away from using the...
  2. F

which oil to use

New mechanic wanted to use Mobil1 ESP 0W-20 VW 509 spec oil in my 2015 Passat. VW 509 is new to me. Any thoughts on whether that is okay from my TDI especially with summer coming? I did bring my own 5W-30 VW 507 instead?
  3. F

Buyer/seller feedback thread

@scobbydoo is a scammer. Has been using my name too. I have no tdi parts for sale
  4. F

Cost, rotors hubs??

I don't know if you were asking me but mine are 17". New tires a couple years ago made no difference. Balance and alignment, no change. BUT, I rotated the tires front to back yesterday and the character for the shake changed. I felt pretty steady in my seat and the steering wheel but I...
  5. F

Emissions Recall 23Y8 Dealer refuses....2015 Passat

Service mgr emailed again after reading the letter from VW. He was really straight forward. Basically said that the VW letter (I sent him a copy) is weird and he "just didn't know" what to make of it. Said he was going to follow up with the regional rep even though I am gonna put it on the...
  6. F

Well the service manager also doesn't feel that they are supposed to do any more work on the CAT. As OilHammer recommends, I am going to leave this alone for a couple of years.
  7. F

Trunk won't open after battery replacement.

Okay, apparently my superpower is BEING STUPID. So when the car went haywire yesterday the tire pressure sensor was going off also so I reached in the glove box to reset it and apparently I hit the trunk valet button. I didn't even remember there was a trunk valet button. All is well now.
  8. F

I was planning to do this next year in order to keep the car "up to date". I only wanted to find out what was involved since I was standing there buying a battery. I have considered waiting longer too but this was a fact finding mission. I just got off a chat with VWoA and this time they said...
  9. F

Trunk won't open after battery replacement.

I installed a new battery from VW in the Passat yesterday. Went as expected with the car going a little haywire at first but everything cleared up very fast when I started driving a short distance. This morning I tried to open the trunk and NOTHING works. Door switch, key fobs, trunk switch...
  10. F

I got a letter 2-3 weeks ago from VoA that it was time for 23Y8 Emissions modification Part 2 of Phase 2. It says: "If your vehicle has more than ...70,000 miles for manual transmission, your car is now eligible to have the Diesel Oxidation Cat replaced a second time before it reaches 150,000"...
  11. F

Cost, rotors hubs??

Thanks. Wish I didn't like this car so much. I would let it go and move on.
  12. F

Cost, rotors hubs??

I will do that. Funny, 3 years ago I found the steering bushing 1K0423187 just sitting on top of a bolt just behind the steering arm. I am not a mechanic so my terminology may be wrong but it was just sitting on top of that flat part not fastened in any way . I asked the dealership to make sure...
  13. F

Cost, rotors hubs??

Yeah you are right. It was foolish of me to try to throw hubs at the problem. If you find a solution for your car please post on this thread? I am backing off of all of this except the brake fluid flush I think. Not sure if I am getting smarter or lazier. Probably both.
  14. F

Cost, rotors hubs??

I had a good shop but it's too far. I think I'll do the brakes myself and live with the vibrations. Thanks!
  15. F

Cost, rotors hubs??

Thanks. I have always avoided brakes and getting more chicken as I get a little older but maybe it is time to do a set of brakes. I am thinking about leaving the hubs. Only 70K on the car. Thanks for the advice.
  16. F

Cost, rotors hubs??

He said that he'd need the car for two days. That sounded excessive to me. I don't know what he get's for labor. I am starting to think I should just do the brakes and forget the hubs. I have that 70 mph steering vibration so many other people have had and was thinking hubs might help. Seems...
  17. F

Cost, rotors hubs??

I'd like to have 4 rotors and pads, brake fluid and front hubs done. I supply the parts. Local guy wants more than $1,000 just for the labor. I think that is pretty steep. Anyone have an educated idea what I should pay for the above LABOR? Parts will be near $700. I should do it myself but I...
  18. F

Phase 2-Extended Warranty Starts Over

I just got my notice for the Phase 2 70K Cat replacement 2 weeks ago. Funny I rec'd that letter the day after I hit 70K.
  19. F

Sportwagen VS NMS resale values

Aside from the rear seat comfort and the greater range I have to agree that the sportwagens are "better". The Passat steering vibration and tracking stink on the Interstates. The Sportwagens are "German" on the highway. Still the Passat is nice with people in the back seat, I guess size...