Search results

1. mnelsonx

How to: Replacing the Adblue Heater & Temp Sensor Module

Great news! This morning the P148C CEL cleared itself...hopefully that's permanent. I haven't had a chance to scan for codes yet, but if the CEL is out I expect it should be clear.
  2. mnelsonx

I had considered waiting for this to work itself out with VW first, but since I had to spend the dealer card on something I bought the repair kit. I figured if they changed their stance later I could be reimbursed by providing receipts. Not to mention I was really tired of looking at a CEL...
  3. mnelsonx

My CEL has been on for about 9 months for P202b, so I finally did this job over the weekend. Couldn't have done it nearly as quickly without the guide (and would probably would have broken things), I really appreciate the time it took to put this guide together. After using the dealership...
  4. mnelsonx

UNOFFICIAL Adblue Heater Element Failure Thread

I finally bought the repair kit last week and still need to install it. My thoughts now are mostly disappointment that I had to spend my goodwill package to fix another problem with the car, one that seems relatively common and is almost certainly an OEM quality problem.
  5. mnelsonx

UNOFFICIAL Adblue Heater Element Failure Thread

Finally got the P202b CEL Year - 2012 Mileage - 61,000 Warning Light - CEL Code(s) - P202B Any symptoms or problems before diagnosis - None Repair Time: Will tackle the repair myself unless VW owns up to this issue and covers it. Any pertinent info from dealer - not been there yet CEL came on...
  6. mnelsonx

Anyone motivated now to debadge thier TDI?

Unfortunately this isn't the story that's being told in the media, so having to explain it to people I know has certainly been necessary. And as the saying goes, if you're explaining, you're losing. For people I don't know I'm less concerned. I'm not apologizing to anyone for owning a TDI...
  7. mnelsonx

Anyone motivated now to debadge thier TDI?

For me it's been somewhat painful to defend my TDI ownership to people I know that have only seen the news stories on the subject. The TDI is still a perfect fit for me, and I don't plan to unload or debadge it, but I can't say that the thought hasn't entered my mind since the story broke. I...
  8. mnelsonx

Skinny tires for better MPG?

Thanks for finding those quotes. The ones selected definitely help to distill the many dynamics involved in RRC down to a few understandable variables that may help in tire/wheel selection. The last couple of sentences kind of make intuitive sense - if you give up some traction/grip...
  9. mnelsonx

Skinny tires for better MPG?

Guys, before making assumptions and changes that could significantly affect the handling of your vehicle, please check the physics on this. Tire width as a standalone factor does NOT affect rolling resistance. Tire width is not a factor in the equation to calculate it, period. The factors...
  10. mnelsonx

New member: Tough time choosing between TDI & 1.8 TSI Sorry for the long post

Your 25 mile commute is about the same as mine, so expect the engine to reach full temp at about halfway in the winter. The heater won't blow you away, but I always find it to be comfortable. No issues with operating a TDI in cold weather unless you're doing < 10 mile trips frequently. The...
  11. mnelsonx

23N5 software update thread to address turbo failures

This sounds dumb (probably because it is), but I can't find any reference to a glow plug update on the paperwork they gave me. I'm sure he discussed it, and I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it (based on at least one other poster I saw here). I didn't have any issues with the glow plugs before...
  12. mnelsonx

23N5 software update thread to address turbo failures

I received the letter on Wednesday, 1/14, after I returned home from dropping the car off at the dealer for failure of the turbo. Is that what they call irony? They did the 23N5 and the glow plug updates while it was in for the turbo. No charge for anything, 2 days to complete the work (and...
  13. mnelsonx

TURBO: Please report NMS turbo failures here. [not a discussion thread!]

Not as lucky as I'd hoped Turbo gave out on the way home from work yesterday. We just came back from a 1000 mile round trip last weekend and never noticed any whine or other issues. Was accelerating gently through an intersection when it refused to upshift, then a flashing glow plug light and...
  14. mnelsonx

Check Engine Light - Solid

A blinking CEL is a definite stop and tow, most times it wouldn't keep going anyway. Solid CEL means you can drive it to the dealer instead of having it towed. Solid could be a lot of things, none of them catastrophic failure, so the risk is fairly low (but not zero). Personally I wouldn't...
  15. mnelsonx

Smart phone mount options

Hey guys, there is another simple (and cheap) option that's worked great for me for thousands of miles. A simple piece of double-sided mounting foam across the top of the steering column keeps the phone in place and near perfect position (might like it 1/2" or so higher) with zero investment or...
  16. Phone Mount Close-up

Phone Mount Close-up

17. Phone Mount Position

Phone Mount Position

18. mnelsonx

mnelsonx

Random Photos
  19. mnelsonx

When did you scrap your Hankooks?

Had to replace mine at right around 3,000 miles when one of the tires suddenly developed an audible slow-leak (actually not that slow at all) on the corner of the tread/sidewall. Both the dealer and tire distributor wouldn't even consider claiming as a tire defect, although I'm absolutely sure...