Search results

1. C

Tow eye hook picture? Specifications?

My engine isn’t running at the moment, yet I need to tow the car a few blocks for most snow storms, in order to satisfy snow removal parking bans in the city. I can’t find my tow eye hook! I think the gentleman who sold me the car (1998 jetta TDI MK3) didn’t include it in the spare tire area...
  2. C

Gurus please help diagnose (seized head?)

I was driving my Jetta mk3 TDI on highway 84, going about 60 miles per hour in the middle lane, when it stalled out suddenly. I was able to pull over to the breakdown lane. NOTE: There's plenty of diesel in the tank, 2-3 gallons, good quality fuel. NOTE: A few days before, I had work done...
  3. C

Hellish coolant leak

After a month of below freezing over night weather, my 98 tdi’s coolant leak has gone from dripping out roughly a few ounces (75 mL) per day, to now it will lose a gallon (3.7 L) of coolant gushing out in 15 seconds, almost as fast as I can pour it into the spherical overflow reservoir. I...
  4. C

How do you verify Airbag will open in crash?

How do you verify that the airbag system is still working right (after 20 years in the car)?? Obviously WITHOUT CRASHING THE FRONT END OF THE CAR you sarcastic ones in the group lol. For real. How do you know your crash sensor is still working? Where’s it located in the bumper or..? Are there...
  5. C

Anybody use Bearing Buddies to protect rear split bearings?!

These Bearing Buddies are pretty much standard issue equipment for utility trailers, campers, RVs, etc, that use split bearings on their axles. Reason is because it helps you re-grease your bearing regularly without having to perform full on wheel removal bearing service which is overkill...
  6. C

Reverse lights... Reverse polarity?! ***

Quick question for you experiences with the wiring diagram for the rear reverse lights. Are the rear reverse lights SUPPOSED to be reverse polarity according to the wiring diagram (which I don’t have)?! Center pin NEGATIVE, ground/shell POSITIVE?! Trying to find out if my previous owner mucked...
  7. C

Help - Hanging Cat

Looks like the cat came apart from the next pipe downstream of it. 1. What’s the best yet cheapest way to reconnect these two parts solidly? I’m willing to DIY if the result is definitely strong. I don’t have a welding machine (yet) so can’t DIY weld yet. I have a propane torch though. A...
  8. C

Pinch weld rusty. 2nd place to jack up front drivers side?

Need to changed flat leaking tire The usual jacking spot, the pinch weld “arrow” area, is too rusty to jack up that spot. What’s the second best place to jack up the front drivers side??
  9. C

Why duplicate ABS and Airbag icons ??

Sorry if this is a dumb question.. yet it’ll be good to know in order to better understand the car operates. There is many icons on the bottom edge of the cluster. Including the ABS and Airbag icons, right? Right. Why then, the duplicate icons for ABS and Airbags, on the small square dashboard...
  10. C

Your next car?

My mk3 might last me til 300K miles. I hope I can get it to last til 500K. I think we is all pretty much into rides that is easy on the wallet when it comes to fueling up at the pump. After 2015 Dieselgate, VW is no longer selling diesel vehicles in the US. VW has invested $1 Billion in...
  11. C

Help what’s gonna by on in this pic. And why.

Anyone ever see something like this before. How did you fix it. Also, apparently the coolant temp sensor is dead or disconnected/broken wire because the glow plugs run full cycle (10 sec) above 45 degrees F when they should run and immediately shut off after 2 sec.
  12. C

Interior door lock button pin. Screw size? Thread pitch?

What’s the screw size and thread pitch for the interior door lock button pin?
  13. C

Rust repair help. Side skirts. Wheel well corners.

How to repair this side skirt rust ?! Stop it from spreading...?
  14. C

Factory Alarm. Cost Benefits?

My 98 TDI came with the factory alarm (red LED on the drivers door button supposed to flash to indicate alarm is armed). The previous owner disabled this factory alarm, and didn’t provide the alarm remote keyfob. As it’s always been disabled while I own the car, I’ve never had the opportunity to...
  15. C

Daytime Running Lights, Front Rear Fog Lights, Power Windows

1. Daytime Running Lights. A. How do you enable them on a base Jetta TDI? B. How do you turn them on? Switch or is they automatic by daylight detector photocell? C. Where’s the indicator light they on? 2. Front Rear Fogs. A. Where is the pictures of all the variations on the headlight switch...
  16. C

Connecticut TDI owners roll call

Put your first name and vehicle ( if it’s not listed on your profile ) Anyone with experience remove replace seals on the mk3 TDI Injection Pump ?? I’m looking to make a nice step by step video of this, for sharing with all the TDI owners here on TDI club and the internet.
  17. C

Costs to add options to base jetta TDI

My Jetta TDI is rather base level in terms of its options. It has power door locks and that’s all. How much would it cost, for junkyard parts, plus time in hours, to transplant these “options” to my Jetta TDI MK3 A3: 1. Fogs and rear fogs - I got input on this already someone said they got...
  18. C

Fix injection pump seals with additives

My injection pump seals are leaking. Question: Has anyone here ever done that fix where you add Automatic Transmission Fluid AND Biodiesel to your fuel tank and run the engine on them, in so doing, put these fluids thru your high pressure leaky injection pump?? Sorta like Fix-A-Flat for tires...
  19. C

Fog light diameter?

1. Why are there TWO locations for fog lights, NEXT TO the turn signals, and BELOW the turn signals??!? 3. What is the diameter for each position , 2.5 inch, 3 inch, or 3.5 inch ??
  20. C

Which leg of fuse connects to battery

I’m trying to tap into any fuse that comes on after ignition, to hard wire a dash cam on this A3 mk3 Jetta TDI. Which side of the fuse is connected to the load and not to the battery??