Search results

1. R

How long does it take a CEL to clear

Thanks, it finally went out after a few cycles.
  2. R

How long does it take a CEL to clear

I got a CEL to come on and it was code P0673, #3 glow plug. I checked the resistances of all 4 and #3 showed infinite resistance, so I knew it was bad. The other 3 all measured about 0.5 ohms. After changing it, the CEL is still on. I haven't checked for any more codes, but how long does it...
  3. R

What kind of connection is this?

Thanks....since I'm still under warranty, I will take it in to repair.
  4. Oily residue

Oily residue

5. R

What kind of connection is this?

While changing oil today in my '06 TDI, I noticed an oily residue on this connection. It is located on the drivers side right behind the radiator down at the bottom. Looks like it may be a gasket or o-ring seal leaking oil. Can anyone identify what this is? [/IMG]
  6. R

05.5 Jetta Front Brake Pad Uneven Wear

Just my opinion and not confirmed by VW, but the outer diameter of the disc is turning faster than the inner diameter (in velocity terms; rpm of course is the same). Therefore, there is more friction as you move further out on the disc (away from the center), producing more heat and thus, more...
  7. R

20k service questions

I'm approaching 20k also and had the very same questions as airwolf. What lubricant should you use for the door hinges and the sun roof frame?
  8. R

Uneven front/rear rotor wear?

Pad thickness after 10,000 miles I measured the pads when I rotated the tires this weekend, and got the following: Left front - 15/32" Right front - 1/2" Left rear - 13/32" Right rear - 13/32" So after 10,000 miles, mine are wearing faster on the rear also and this is mostly 90% highway...
  9. R

Service reminder out of sync

Mine too! I just turned over 9700 miles and noticed the wrench symbol popped on and said 700 miles, which would indicate that the next oil change is at 10,400 miles. I had reset it at 5000, when I changed the oil the first time. So, there is definitely an error in the accuracy of this counter...
  10. R

How to visually check of air bag system?

Pretty straightforward, huh? Thanks
  11. R

How to visually check of air bag system?

This is listed in the maintenance schedule for the A5: "Air Bag System, Visual check every 12 months regardless of mileage" Anyone know what this really means and how do you do it?
  12. R

Lower Engine cover destoyed......

Had you removed it recently?
  13. R

20 k service...dealer or DIY?

I did my 5000 mil oil change today from the bottom and it was very easy. I agree with your comment about the dip stick. It is the hardest one to read that I've ever had. What is wrong with the flat metal design used in other cars?
  14. R

Oil drain plug vs. washer

Anyone know if the washer is replaceable on the drain plug or do you have to replace the entire plug. I bought a new drain plug from the dealer the other day and all I received was the washer.
  15. R

Changing oil on Rhino ramps

For those of you that change oil on ramps, do you restart the engine and let it run while it is still up in the air and before you reinstall the plastic bottom cover. If not, how do you check for leaks at the drain plug after changing the oil? Thanks
  16. R

Diesel Engine Shake

What RPM is it idling at?
  17. R

MP3 Instructions

Does anyone know how to set up an individual directory/folder for each album using iTunes? It doesn't seem to want to let you create subdirectories in a playlist.
  18. R

Rhino ramp height?

I am getting close to my 5K oil change and will be doing it underneath the car. Since the bottom plastic shield is only about 5 inches above the ground, are the standard Rhino ramps high enough to enable someone to get to all the Torx screws and oil plug? The ones I saw in Walmart looked like...
  19. R

Power sockets

I think the owners manual states that the outlets only work with the switch on.....and that's how mine work. Are you saying there's a fuse, that if replaced will allow them to work with the ingnition switch off?
  20. R

Low fuel mileage is driving me crazy.

But, what is the flash point of HC-12a? That is the temperature I'd be worried about. HFC134a does not have a flash point because it is not flammable.