Search results

1. C

Sold my A4 Jetta TDI

Waltz, I probably worked on all their cars brought here to DAW. Dwayne still is the owner. We have several TDIs here so I can get my diesel fix whenever I need it. They are for sale as well. If I were to come across a white Jetta TDI wagon for the right price w/ low mileage w/ auto I would...
  2. C

Sold my A4 Jetta TDI

I sold my 99.5 Jetta TDI a couple weeks ago. It was a great car but I needed to move on. It had nearly 300000 miles on it. I bought it new in July of 1999 from the VW dealer in Crystal Lake, IL. It only saw the dealer 3 times. The first two times were for the free oil changes and at 100000...
  3. C

200000 miles, and only one under the hood problem so far.

I just joined the 200000 mile club last week. The car has seen 3 sets of tires,an altenator and starter, couple of batteries, the normal maint. stuff and a water pump at each timing belt change(the last one had a bad bearing and was leaking bad). Still has the original clutch. Have had a bit of...
  4. C

Jacked up my Jetta!

Hi Dan, good to see you're still involved in this site. I have very little time these days so I don't get to posting like I use to do. Still have my Cool White Jetta. Has 192K on it and runs great. Gets around 46 mpg around town and 54 on the highway. Still has the original clutch and injectors...
  5. C

Jacked up my Jetta!

The front gained about 1.25" initially and the rear about 1.125". It has settled about .25" after about two weeks and has stayed there. The ride is a little stiffer. Both the front and rear replacement coil springs had one more loop than the original ones. Wire diameter was 11.25mm in the rear...
  6. C

Jacked up my Jetta!

I got tired of riding so low so I found springs to raise the ride height of my Jetta. Got them from Car Quest of all places. Part numbers are 81134 for the front and 81055 for the rear. $61 for the front pair(yes the pair!) and $57 for the rear pair. A friend of mine spent hundreds of dollars to...
  7. C

Glow Plug Fiasco

I had a Passat TDI come in with 2 bad glow plugs. We sold all four so they would all have the same resistance/age. Two broke off which required removal of the head to remove the broken ends. Just a bad day for both me and the customer. If the dealer breaks them off during a recall I would think...
  8. C

BHW cracked cylinder head fiasco

I did try to blow shop air into the fuel area of the head and look thru the coolant passages of the head. There was an area that appeared to be leaking between #3 & #4 cylinders. I know that the only place coolant and fuel are anywhere near each other in in the head. Oilhammer what experiance...
  9. C

BHW cracked cylinder head fiasco

I'm posting this about a customer's vehicle I just replaced his cylinder head. The guy brought it to the dealer and they told him he needed a new cylinder head due to a crack in the casting between the fuel galley and the cooling systm. Sure enough the cooling system was filled with diesel fuel...
  10. C

B5 BHW engine noise revisited

Oilhammer, thanks for posting about this system. I had a new customer call today about a broken oil pump chain or drive. I had no idea VW could build such a poor design. We see a lot of 1.9 TDIs but only have 1 customer with a B5. I quoted $2735. High but trying to cover worst case situation...
  11. C

Do I need to replace compressor/dryer?

The proper procedure is to try first to determine where the refrigerant leaked out using a visual inspection and a electronic leak detector. It had to go somewhere. The condensor is in the front and gets a lot of enviromental abuse. If nothing shows up then a evaucate and recharge is required...
  12. C

Who has liked diesel cars before TDI's

I'm up to my 6th VW diesel. !979 Rabbit, 1980 Dasher Wagon, 2-1985 Jetta TD's, 1986Golf (bought and resold in a week-wish I could find more like this-very profitable) and my current 1999 Jetta TDI. I bought my first 85 Jetta TD with 90000 miles on it, put 120000 miles on it, sold it to a friend...
  13. C

HELP... Chicago mechanic needed!

Hey Dan, nice to hear from you. I still surf the site once in a while. Not as much as I use to. Haven't been to any GTG's since I saw you last. My electric truck project is still in the works. Just picked up 2 GE traction motors rated at 7.1 hp each. Doesn't sound like much power but the...
  14. C

HELP... Chicago mechanic needed!

DAW is in West Chicago (DuPage county). Not too far but getting towed can always be a challenge from Chicago. Glad we were able to fit you in and get your car repaired. This week has been crazy since it was a short one. The over-run clutch pulley came apart and spilled the rollers into the...
  15. C

Dealer recommended service schedule

I brought my 99 Jetta in for the brake light switch recall. The dealer tried to sell me their "fuel injection flush". The service writer said it would clean all the carbon from inside the intake. I asked her (the writer) if she knew how a diesel fuel injection system works. She didn't have a...
  16. C

Non-Approved PD Oil Club

We use Pentosin TS in PD vehicles. It comes from Germany and we get it from our supplier WorldPac. The public can buy the stuff from Car Quest. They would have to order it for you as most CQ stores don't stock it. The Pentosin TS is a synthetic blend but is rated for extended oil change...
  17. C

Solar battery charger

There were quite a lot of them for sale on Ebay a while back. A friend of mine who works for VW gave me a dozen of the panels. I donated them to WWW.THE-MREA.org during the energy fair they have each June. They were the hottest item in the auction tent. They don't produce much power. VW...
  18. C

ULSD - How's it affect your car?

I've noticed a increase in fuel mileage. Could just be from not using the A/C but I'm getting around 47.6 MPG using ULSD. Last year, same time of the year, I was only getting around 44.8 using LSD. I still see cold start smoke and it still smells the same. Hope the manifold stays cleaner longer...
  19. C

2 stroke diesel engine

2 stroke diesels do have valves-all exhaust and some way to open them but I'm sure the camshaft isn't driven by a timing belt-probably a bunch of massive gears. All of the Electro-Motive locomotives built by GM were 2 cycle-anywhere from a V6 up to a V20. Some even had 2 V20 engines in the same...
  20. C

Info on 91 Jetta EcoDiesel

If the body is in good shape and the mechanicals are OK they are not bad cars. The ECO diesel used the turbo as more of a emissions device that a performance enhancement. I had a 85 and 86 Jetta TD that used the turbo for more power-68 vs 52 for the ECO and 48 for the NA diesel in 1985. I...