Search results

1. F

Update radio to RNS 510 on '09 JSW

Okay I don't know where else to put this so I'm putting it here. I don't know which radio I have, but it's pictured here. I'd like to install the RNS 510. I've seen a few on ebay that are a good price. What besides the radio unit and the 9W7 bluetooth unit will I need to buy? GPS Antenna...
  2. F

FS: Frostheater for an A4 Golf or Jetta $125 obo

I bought this kit about 5 years ago and never installed it because of my laziness. It's brand new. Will mail to anywhere in USA. After payment via PayPal.
  3. F

Tie Rod

So a few months (maybe more) I brought my car to the Dealership and they told me that my left inner tie rod showed some play. They suggested getting it fixed (or replaced) and that after that was done I'd also need an alignment. I didn't have the cash then to fix the problem, but they suggest...
  4. F

EGR or Intake Cleaning or both?

So as much as I'd like to be one of those folks that gets their hands dirty and does all the work on their TDI themselves, I'm not. So I'm getting the work done. And I think I can only really afford one of these jobs. Which should I do first or are they really the same job and I should save...
  5. F

Broken headrest

So I have an '01 Jetta and the headrest is broken. The button that allows you to move the headrest up and down came out along with a spring that also belongs in there. Anyone know how to fix this? Or actually how to get the headrest down? I'm the sole driver of the car and don't need to move...
  6. F

DC DMV Vehicle Inspection Woes

So today I went in to get my car inspected as required by the DC DMV. They barcode check the car and do the inspection. They say I failed because all four of my brakes failed and my fuel cap shows a leak. I know that my brakes are fine because 2 weeks earlier they were checked and the fuel cap...
  7. F

Seat Heater only works on setting 5

My driver's side seat heater only works on setting 5. Is this a common problem ? (I searched and haven't seen mention of it) If so how much should I expect to pay? I have an '01 Jetta TDI GLS.
  8. F

Post your TDI sightings here!!

Well today may have been a record. I saw 4 TDIs on my circuitous way to work. One black A4 Jetta heading south on 13th St., NW, a grey Golf heading north on 13th St., a A5 red Jetta on Clifton St, NW and a green A4 Jetta on Florida Ave. I was amazed at how many were within on the road this...
  9. F

Front brakes question

Two years ago I had my front pads and rotors replaced at around 62k miles. Now I'm getting a dahboard sensor for my front brakes again. I'm at 92k mi. I plan to replace the pads, but I'm wondering if I need to replace the rotors as well? Or can I do that the next time I get a new set of front...
  10. F

TDI that drives itself

So last night I turn on the tv to PBS's NOVA and I notice a tricked out TDI Touareg that students at Stanford U have heeped in computers, and software and affectionately named Stanley. It was in a DARPA-sponsored challenge that seeked a car that could drive itself through 152 miles of the...
  11. F

Gelling in the Catskills

So this past weekend I decided to head up the Catskills for a bit of skiing and relaxing in the country. I purposely didn't fill up my tank until I got onto the NY State Thruway. I assumed up there in the colder parts of the State they would have anti-gelling additive. Boy was I wrong! So I...
  12. F

front headlights keep going out....

In the past six months both of my headlights have gone out at least twice. Is this a trend for my year and model car? ('01 Jetta manual TDI) I just keep replacing the headlights, but I am starting to get frustrated.
  13. F

headlights keep going out....

In the past six months both of my headlights have gone out at least twice. Is this a trend for my year and model car? ('01 Jetta manual TDI) I just keep replacing the headlights, but I am starting to get frustrated.
  14. F

Washington, DC - Price Alert- $2.75

There is diesel gas in DC at the Shell on 4940 Connecticut Ave. That's Connecticut Ave at @ Fessenden and 36th.
  15. F

Brake Booster

So I have an '01 Jetta TDI and recently I noticed that when I press down on the brake pedal it's very hard to press and almost no stopping power. I brought it to my mechanic and he suggested that the problem was a bad brake booster. He mentioned that this was common. Is it something common...
  16. F

A good auto mechanic in NoVA

I have a 2001 Jetta TDI and I am looking for a good auto mechanic. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks