Search results

1. P

2004 Passat TDI wagon (SF Bay area) $5000

Its time for me to sell this car. I've owned it for almost 10 years, and can't really afford to maintain it now. I'm ready for something new. Here's the scoop: - 2004 Passat GLS TDI wagon, 162,300 miles. Body/interior about 6.5/10; engine/mechanical about 8/10. Clean title, no accidents, just...
  2. P

After DieselGate, could B5.5's increase in value?

I thought I read that the Calif/Federal settlement on DieselGate requires VW to either buy back the affected cars or modify them to pass emission standards. So I wonder-- Is an affected owner required to do one of these? (if not I suppose the car could not be re-registered..) I'm guessing most...
  3. P

Computer won't set readiness- now what?

Hi all- I've been mostly lurking here for a couple years. I still have an 04 wagon, now with 156000 miles. It's been geared, had the tranny replaced, and had most of the usual faults that the Passat TDI is known for. Now I can't smog & re-register the car because the computer reports that the...
  4. P

startup problems- clicks, flashes- battery?

I have an 04 Passat wagon, 155k. Unchained, but no special engine mods. A couple weeks ago I did a heater core flush that got me near the battery, but AFAIK I never disturbed it. Since then I have had trouble starting the car when its been sitting for hours. (outside temp is never close to...
  5. P

Time for as sticky thread on TC/ transmission failure

There's a very sour taste in my mouth right now as I contemplate $4k for a new tranny. I had no TC codes in Jan when I did the 100k minor service. took it in on Monday for new front brakes & had the TC code for a leaky seal. Then yesterday I lose power, big shudder, limp mode all gear indicators...
  6. P

click-click-click: turn signal relay?

The click-click-click from my turn signal continues in random fashion for a minute or more after a turn. It comes from somewhere in the center console behind the radio. Can someone direct me to the source? The turn signal/stalk works fine, and there are no burned-out bulbs. Thanks!
  7. P

another B5.5 unchained

The good folks at AVS in Berkeley completed the balance shaft upgrade last week. The car is significantly quieter and drives smooth as silk. So I hope I'm over most of the major repairs- BSM, glow plugs, timing belt, water pump, and panzer plate. About 1/2 of the miles on the car are short city...
  8. P

x-post: MAF code 16485 mystery

I originally posted this in the B5 Passat forum and got no response, so trying my luck here. Apparently a Mass Air Flow code 16485 is one of the great mysteries of the VW world..... ---------- Just got my '04 Passat back from the shop after another round trying to diagnose code "16485- Mass...
  9. P

MAF code again, and charge air hoses

Just got the car back from the shop after another round trying to diagnose code "16485- Mass Airflow Sensor (G70): implausible signal P010-000". This was originally paired with code "16791- EGR signal too low", but the shop seems to have fixed that. They replaced the MAF, put some dielectric...
  10. P

Other symptoms of BHW balance shaft issue?

I'm hoping there is some objective way to judge whether a B5.5 is showing symptoms of the BS problem. After reading all the threads it's clear that increased noise is usually, but not always, diagnostic. But it is a subjective measure, especially for those of us without neighbors that have...
  11. P

Water gets inside tailgate of 04 Passat

After the first rains here, when I opened the tailgate of my 04 Passat wagon, water drips/spills out of the edges of the fabric-covered interior panel (when its upside down). I can't figure out how the water is getting in there- the rubber seals all round look good, no rips or curls. The panel...
  12. P

Adding/replacing interior vent LEDs

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=177981
  13. P

Bentley CD- pressure units?

The Bentley CD for my '04 Passat wagon has a chart of recommended tire pressures, but I can't figure out what unit is used. At half-load it lists "2.0" for front and rear. What unit is this so I can convert to PSI? I've tried kiloPascals and it comes out to 29 PSI, which seems ridiculously...
  14. P

Bentley CD- tire pressure units?

The Bentley CD for my '04 wagon has a chart of recommended tire pressures, but I can't figure out what unit is used. At half-load it lists "2.0" for front and rear. What unit is this so I can convert to PSI? I've tried kiloPascals and it comes out to 29 PSI, which seems ridiculously low. And...
  15. P

front grill "TDI" emblem

Other threads have noted that Impex sells front grill "TDI" emblems, but I can't find it on their web site. Can anyone give a part #?. Can I buy just the mounting bracket to fit my car? I plan on using the "TDI" letters from the rear of my wagon- will that work?
  16. P

Touran in El Cerrito!

Saw a blue Touran on San Pablo Ave at Fairmont today! CA plates, flying a pennant of some kind out the passenger side window. I could not see if it was a TDI. I want one!
  17. P

SF Bay Bridge- Bora TDI

Tonight, about 6:30, eastbound into the city. You have a roof rack with a sticker that sez "bent bikes", or something like that. I was a couple lanes over at the toll booth; saw you again getting off on Fremont St.
  18. P

WTB- B5 wagon cargo cover

I'm interested in a black or grey cargo cover for a Passat B5/ B5.5 wagon. I've looked in local junkyards; if anyone has a source besides the the dealer, much appreciated. Thanks all!
  19. P

Euroswitch rear fog indicator is reversed?

I just finished wiring the rear fog lights on my B5.5 wagon. After reading everything I could find here, on Vortex and on PassatWorld, I added a yellow LED for the rear fog indicator on the switch, and it all looked good. The rear fogs work fine but the indicator light functions are weird...
  20. P

East Bay Mechanic and source for oil?

What are your recomendations for a TDI mechanic in the Berkeley area? And where/what kind of 501.1 oil should I buy? Thanks all!