Search results

1. T

Seeking a mechanic in San Diego

Moved from Maine to San Diego last summer, and it's time for some work. An oil change is of immediate concern, but I'd like to find someone who does good work for a fair price that I can trust going forward. The car is a 2015 GSW. I thought there used to be a discussion area for just this...
  2. T

FS ALH engine for rebuild

Mostly complete ALH engine for sale. No starter/injectors/AC/injection pump. Compression is good, turbo is original and questionable. If you just want another 50K miles on an old beater you can add a turbo and injection system and be good to go, but I think it's more of a rebuild candidate...
  3. T

Winter rims

16" 5x100 steelies. Set of four, cleaned and painted before use last winter. It probably isn't worth shipping these. Available for pickup in Augusta ME, or I'll deliver/meet you somewhere in Maine, southern NH or Eastern MA. Asking $100 for the set. Make me an offer if that's out of line.
  4. T

Battery upgrades for 2015 GSW?

Hi All; My 2015GSW, purchased last halloween, refuses to start in this cold weather (0 to low negative degrees). The dealer says the battery is only warranted for 2 years and won't replace it under warranty. I talked with the local service manager, and they swear the TDI's use the same...
  5. T

ALH long block for sale

Roughly 250K miles, so the buyer is probably buying for rebuild purposes.... The engine is from a 2000 Jetta that I bought new. Never a runaway, the rods and everything should be fine. Has: block, internal engine parts, head (replaced by dealer at 60,000 miles), injectors you can swap for...
  6. T

Roll bar and trailer hitch?

Happy owner, so far, of a 2015 GSW SEL with a mere 8K miles on it. Replacing a 2003 jetta wagon that was fixed up quite nicely. I'd like to upgrade the handling, and really like having the car flat in the corners. There were a bunch to choose from with the 03, but I've only seen the one from...
  7. T

What's a mk4 long block worth?

200ish thousand miles. New head at 60,000 (VW dealer screwed up the timing belt job). Ran fine, never had a runaway, shouldn't have any bent rods. It didn't smoke when retired, and I believe the compression is fine. I can include a 10mm pump that needs a rebuild and set of injectors that...
  8. T

Handling mods on 2015 GWS

I've found enough info on increasing the HP on a 2015, and tuning the DSG to handle it. What's available for the rest of the chassis? Can I firm up the ride with springs and something like Koni's FSD shocks/struts? The brake rotors look pretty small - are there alternatives available there...
  9. T

5x100 steelies

Anyone want a set of steelies for snow tires? I have a set with some well used cheesy import tires mounted. Decent shape, off an ALH, don't remember what year. The usual amount of surface rust for a car from Maine. $100 firm, pickup only, though I can deliver to the greater Boston area if...
  10. T

FOB programming question

Hi; One of my keys went for a swim, and I got a new one for Christmas. The dealer wants $100 to program the new key. I have the vagcom cable and program - is this something I can do myself? TIA, --- David
  11. T

Has fuel, won't start?

My son has a 2000 TDI that's been in the family since new. Six months ago we upgraded it with 1019 injectors, VNT17 turbo, and a tune from Malone. A couple of months ago, twice, he drove it to work in the morning, and at break time (mid afternoon) it wouldn't start. Both times he went out...
  12. T

weird non-start problem

2002 Jetta. Driven by my son, it was running well. He drove to a friends house last weekend, parked it outside overnight. The next morning it would crank over fine, but not catch. He said that with a boost they could almost get it running, but it just wouldn't go. I got there, replaced the...
  13. T

Toyota hubcaps?

I've got a set of VW steelies with snow tires, and a prius I'd like to put them on. The offset and bolt holes are fine, but my wife objects to having hubcaps with a 'VW' logo on her toyota. Does anyone know if hubcaps from a 15" toyota wheel will go on the VW rim? TIA
  14. T

Anybody tried changing cam timing?

I've heard that advancing the cam slightly, like a degree or two, will give a little more responsiveness a few more HP. Retarding the cam is supposed to make for slightly better economy, presumably at the expense of power. Anyone tried it? What were the results?
  15. T

Vacuum in the fuel filter?

've been having a weird problem lately with the engine being starved for fuel. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it gets bad enough to kill the engine completely. When I pull the thermo-tee fitting in the fuel filter there's a short sucking sound. It did it tonight with a brand new fuel...
  16. T

Vacuum in the fuel filter?

I've been having a weird problem lately with the engine being starved for fuel. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it gets bad enough to kill the engine completely. When I pull the thermo-tee fitting in the fuel filter there's a short sucking sound. It did it tonight with a brand new fuel...
  17. T

lock vandalized; what are my options?

Someone vandalized my 02 jetta. Keyed the door and destroyed the lock cylinder in the drivers door. What are my options? I thought about just getting a replacement cylinder from a part-out, but then the ignition won't match. How hard is it to replace the ignition switch, and do I have to...
  18. T

02J 5 speed

Comes from 2001 Golf with 260K on it. Shifts fine, all gears work, new shift tower bushing. Asking only $400. Can deliver or meet in New England, NY, or CT.
  19. T

Nice 2003 engine FS

180K, burns no oil, excellent compression in all 4 cylinders. Head rebuild ~20K ago (PO let timing belt go too long). TB/pump/pulleys all have 20K on them. Includes IP, injectors, but not starter. Asking $1200. Can deliver or meet in New England, including NY and CT.
  20. T

2001 Golf 2 door complete interior

Interior is mint and complete. Black cloth, came out of a silver car. Front tip-forward seats Rear seat all interior plastic pieces except glove box door door cards (drivers card has just a hint of silver paint; PO didn't have window closed when touching up the outside :( ) tail gate pieces...