Search results

1. Metalhead

Difficulty Diagnosing ALH Overboost

It was actually set to 32740! I changed it to 32700. I'm going to verify the cam/crank timing at some point in the next few weeks. The overboost got a lot worse after I did the timing belt, so I'm thinking the cam/crank are off by a tooth or so, potentially.
  2. Metalhead

The coolant hoses do get hard, I believe. Also, the ambient temperature was 42F. I did the timing belt a few months ago and set the timing slightly on the retarded side on the TDI-timing graph in VCDS, so I'm likewise a little surprised by the timing. I'll take a look at adaptation after work to...
  3. Metalhead

Here's the log you requested with longer throttle applications: Log
  4. Metalhead

I fixed the log in the drive, should be accessible now. It's surprising to me that the car is running so much worse now. Also to answer the questions, It's got PP764 nozzles, and a standard 10mm pump.
  5. Metalhead

Interesting thought, it is straight piped but has always been that way. I feel like it would have overboosted the whole time since it's been straight piped the whole time.
  6. Metalhead

Hello, I recently acquired a stage 4 malone tuned ALH with a VNT17 turbo. Initially the car ran quite well, albeit with mild overboost. However, lately it overboosts constantly. I've replaced the VNT actuator and properly adjusted it with a vacuum pump, I have replaced the N75 valve and vacuum...
  7. Metalhead

Periodically pulsating headlights, battery light

Never reported back, it was indeed the voltage regulator.
  8. Metalhead

Periodically pulsating headlights, battery light

Was driving down the highway and my battery light came on. Simultaneously, my headlights began to brighten and dim about once a second, regardless of engine RPM. At idle, this amounted to a corresponding pulsating RPM, seeming like the engine was under load. I peeked at the serpentine belt, and...
  9. Metalhead

How F'ed am I now?

Stage 3 isn't particularly hard on the engine, and really it depends how hard you drive it. A stage 3 car that never sees over half throttle really never produces more power than stock. Also, I can't imagine a tune ruining a lifter. That wouldn't make sense to me.
  10. Metalhead

How F'ed am I now?

Holy **** man, I'm so sorry! I am deeply curious what happened this time, however.
  11. Metalhead

Strange Tick at Idle

Just updating this... Good advice TDIWings, the sound has mostly gone away on its own! I'm assuming it was just my new lifters/camshaft breaking in. Also, the small amount of 2 stroke oil I put in the fuel may have helped quiet Injector 3. I haven't gotten through a full tank of fuel just yet...
  12. Metalhead

Strange Tick at Idle

I took a stethoscope to injector 3, and it seems to be making a ticking sound. Other than that, there's a tick that doesn't depend directly on RPM... I think it might be my vacuum pump. Has anyone ever had a vacuum pump making noise? Edit My heater fan also ticks when it's at fan setting 1.
  13. Metalhead

Strange Tick at Idle

I just got done installing a freshly rebuilt cylinder head, and my car seems to make a curious ticking sound now. The video linked below should give you a good idea, it's quite noticeable with the windows down, but not up... I took a stethoscope and it's not particularly audible through the...
  14. Metalhead

I Fixed My Leaking Injector Lines

So... those steel injector lines that go from the pump to the injector... I managed to mess up numbers 3 and 4 while swapping my cylinder head. Number 3 didn't seal against the pump, and number 4 didn't seal against the injector. They're flared hoses, and the ends were noticeably worn. The ~45...
  15. Metalhead

Smoke Out of Oil Fill Cap..?

I tried doing the backyard mechanic's test for excessive blow-by. That is, removing the oil fill cap. If it gets blown entirely off the engine, that's a lot of blow by; if it just jumps around but never falls off the head, that's normal blow by. (I know this is mostly a useless test) My fill...
  16. Metalhead

EGT probe drill location w/o EGR delete

When I drilled for my original EGT probe, I removed the intake and all the EGR bits and drilled from the top. The probe that came with my 42dd gauge was too tall and interfered with my EGR cooler, so I bought a 90 degree probe from some website I can find if you run into a similar problem. I...
  17. Metalhead

2 Snapped Intake Bolts

2 of the allen head intake manifold bolts snapped. I'm quite sure they snapped off just below the surface of the head. Does anyone have any tips on how to get those out..? Are there drill guides or something like that? I'd buy a 90 degree drill if anyone's done this before/thinks it's even...
  18. Metalhead

All 4 Harmonic balancer Bolts Snapped!

It's a flat, thin piece of metal with a hole where that raised bump goes, then it lines up with the harmonic balancer as well. It was there when I changed my timing belt and so I put it back on. Only I have been working on my car. I don't normally over torque things... like I said I feel like...
  19. Metalhead

Sorry this took so long, like I said I'm very busy and haven't had much time besides a half hour here and there to work on it. The harmonic balancer just sat right there the whole way home. The Metal washery thing behind it just rattled around a lot. I probably would have lost it if not for...
  20. Metalhead

Driving along, Got the typical signs of a broken belt. Drove the rest of the way home and took a good look. All four Harmonic Balancer bolts have sheared off, and they're all inside the crank pulley. Definitely can't get a wrench on them. I assume left-handed drill bits are my only option? Those...