Search results

1. K

Miami mechanic recommendation

Just moved to Miami area. Need a mechanic for fuel filter change as all tools are in storage and I couldn't get to it before we left. Ill even settle for a respected dealership in the area that hopefully doesnt gouge.
  2. K

Trailering your Passat

Learned two things yesterday when i had to rent a uhaul trailer. 1. It isnt wide enough to open the doors once the car is on the trailer, requiring you to climb out the window. 2. If your turbo is out but not blown up you dont have enough power to gently climb a trailer ramp. Which means you...
  3. K

How To: Sunroof Maintenance (every 40k)

So working on completing our 80k maintenance I thought I'd write up what I found on keeping the sunroof in shape. The VW maintenance guide I have says clean drains and sunroof and lubricate as needed every 40k miles. I didn't actually take care of this at 40k but have consistently flushed our...
  4. K

Battery Options, Opinions and Results

So far, knock on wood, our Passats battery is still going but I know this has been a problem for some. After replacing my truck battery I got to looking for the Passat just in case and options are limited based on my preferences. So... What brand did you replace your battery with? What is...
  5. K

twitchy tach needle

So our car is at nearly 80k miles. I'm not the primary driver other than road trips. Coming back during Thanksgiving I noticed while under cruise control the tach started twitching up and down, say about a 20 rpm change. It wasn't in any pattern related to road bumps and no noticeable change in...
  6. K

What is the new 1.8T's Longevity based Complexity and Potential Issues

Thinking of replacing the TDI with the 1.8T. Just wondering since I don't know much about it how complex it really is and what might or even are the problems that could come up or already have. And since it gets a regular auto, not the DSG, is there any issue with that transmission. I don't...
  7. K

Spill Proof DEF filling from 2.5 gallon container w/ Mercedes connector hose

Note: OK nearly spill proof. The Kruse push to pour spout, like on the OEM 1/2 gallon bottle is patented and the Kruse version hose is $200 if you import it from Germany. Thought I'd post this as I've been looking for an alternative to the little bottles. Found this part in another forum...
  8. K

Firewall mounted oil line seeping

Headed out soon for a few road trip covering a good bit of miles and doing my usual pdi I found, A/C expansion valve seeping. It is connected to the firewall right behind the turbo. The line goes around the engine on the passenger side of the vehicle then I lose sight of it. NOTE: I'm not...
  9. K

Missing piece of intake - P/N Request

Last night I popped the hood to check the oil and noticed the top of the air intake was missing. Can't find it anywhere, so I assume it came loose and somehow found a way out of the engine bay. Now how my wife didn't hear that happen we won't discuss. :p:rolleyes:;) Can someone take a look...
  10. K

Bayside Frame Service - Two Thumbs Up!

Our Passat was recently rear ended. Bayside Frame was recommended by the guys over at Benson's, which is a well respected repair place in the Clear Lake area. In any case, Bayside had our VW in and out in two days. The new bumper actually has better fit and finish, and a smaller panel gap...
  11. K

First time or returning VW buyers - Would you buy another?

A response in another thread got me thinking. Has the Passat changed your view of VW for good or bad and would you buy another VW? I know what some people will answer with but for me it is more complex. I think my Passat is a nice car. I think it is as good as its competition in most areas...
  12. K

Strange new sound

Just had the 20k service done. Checked everything and looked fine. Pick up wife and hear high pitched whine or buzz when door was opened. Can't hear it outside unless you bend down. Similar to whine, adblue pump? You hear every time you shut the car off but this is while running. Did not...
  13. K

VW Oil and Fluid Sources

What oil do I use? READ FIRST <---Click This will be a multi part post that I will do my best to keep up to date based on what I find and tdiclub users provide. For the time being non VW approved oils are not listed. If you want Amsoil, RedLine et al you should know where to get them from...
  14. K

Reminder: Squeaks, Rattles etc only covered for first 12mo/12k miles

First 12 Months/ 12 k Miles, my mistake on the title. Learned this one today as I took my car into the dealer for the 5th or 6th visit on squeaks, creaks and other noises it makes. Finally getting one of them fixed, the review mirror made a noise going over bumps so a new one is going in...
  15. K

Flying debris nightmare

This is insane. I would have needed new shorts after this! http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/25/watch-a-huge-chunk-of-road-debris-hit-a-car-head-on/#continued Oh and it was a VW too. :D
  16. K

Where do Houston (Clear Lake/Webster) area people fuel ?

When we bought the car there was a brand new Chevron we started going too. With brand new tanks and just openening the fuel had to be good. But the price has been slow to change and I don't see fuel trucks in the place so I need to find another place to fuel up. Unfortunately there isn't any...
  17. K

First Panzer Plate for 2012 Passat Installed

This was the one mod I really wanted for the car. After a close call with a piece of concrete on the highway I contacted DieselGeek. Had to wait as Jim was still developing the plate for the new car. Today thanks to Jim himself it was installed. Looks awesome, and believe me is stout. I did...
  18. K

Replacing seats, ideas on possible alternatives

After seeing a couple threads where Audi seats were swapped out in older series VW's would this be possible in the 12 Passat? If it is what is the most likely Audi seat to look right? A4 or A6 or something else. I really like the comfort of the A6 seats in my friends 2008, very nice. Or...
  19. K

Fiat photo bombs Volkswagen in Google Street View

Saw this at a tech site. Fiat parked in front of Volkswagen Sweden HQ. http://g.co/maps/vjgbb Source with pic: http://hardocp.com/news/2012/05/15/fiat_photo_bombs_vw_on_street_view In the images after the google street view car passes the Fiat is following it so it appears...
  20. K

My Passat's MPG at 80+mph

Well did a quick back and forth, no wind variation ;) of about 700 miles roundtrip at 80mph cruising and average to frequent passing at some such speeds. :p In any case I was really wondering how this car would do pulling 80+ for an extended period. I got an average of 38.5 mpg over the...