Search results

1. J

FS: 2003 GLS TDI, Auto, 163K Highway. MASS

FS: 2003 GLS TDI, Auto, 166K Highway. MASS FS: 2003 Jetta GLS TDI, Auto, Leather, Galactic Blue, 166K Highway Miles. Bosch 205 injectors, otherwise stock. Newer tires, recent brakes, rotors, complete timing belt/rollers and belts by Herm TDI at 90K. All maintenance records. Oil changed every...
  2. J

Massachusetts Gas Tax increase

The gov of MA is likely going to put through a gasoline tax that would put the state second in state taxes only to New York. I am wondering if the diesel taxes will be affected in a similar way? Anyone know?
  3. J

Dash LCD's Blank!

Today after work I went out to the TDI and found that all three LCD's were blank, save for a couple ticks here and there on the left LCD. By ticks I mean like a "-" as the top of an "8". No miles. No trip, no gear indicator and no clock. ***? It all worked when I shut it off! Note: I had...
  4. J

EGR Duty Cycle at 84.5% at Idle!?

Why does my EGR show a duty cycle of 84.5% even after punching the gas? Check it out.... EGR duty cycle - 40-75% 83.3 83.7 83.7 82.5 83.3 19.9 4.8 (punched to floor) 4.8 59.4 84.5 84.5 84.5 84.5 84.5 84.5 84.5 84.5 84.5 84.5 84.5 84.1 84.5 49.8 4.8 (punched to floor) 4.8 62.6 84.5 84.5 84.5...
  5. J

EGR Duty Cycle seems high

I just replaced my MAF sensor this evening after it failed on a long trip up north over the weekend. Luckily I knew enough to disconnect it! Thanks TDI Club! Anyway, I installed a new tonight and using the VAG I graphed the values for specified and actual, and all was looking good. BUT ...
  6. J

Sway bushings gone again - only 30K

I'm pretty sure my swaybar bushings are gone again. They didn't even last a year - I think there is maybe 25-30K on them. I saw them while it was on the lift today getting tires, and there was an obvious gap. It's been making noise, and I assumed it was the LCA bushings. Now I'm not so...
  7. J

Installed Rear Axle Bushing 180 degrees rotated

Changed the rear axle bushings today. I thought I had a perfect install until I noticed one of my bushings was installed 180 degrees from where the bentley manual says. I did one side and then flipped the axle over, oriented in the same relative place, but didn't account for the fact that it...
  8. J

Riding hard - any ideas?

Our 02 Jetta has been riding very harsh for the last year. Over bumps, it's terrible, like a bang noise especially in the rear - like it has no suspension. Worse when it's loaded. I replaced the shocks and mounts, and that helped a little, but it's not the ride it once was. Any ideas? Bushings?
  9. J

Fuel Gauge calibration after battery swap

So I got a frantic call from Lisa last week saying she was broke down on the side of the highway - car stalled and won't start. I show up, and figure out it's out of fuel by pulling the line off the filter and seeing no fuel as it cranked. Lisa explained that the fuel light had come on about...
  10. J

Riding Harsh

For the last year or so our 02 TDI has been VERY harsh over bumps - mostly in the rear, but front as well. It's MUCH worse when there is cargo in the rear. It's a very loud bang noise over bumps. If you bounce the car at rest, there is no noise - it's all tight. I replaced the rear shocks...
  11. J

Will this Battery Fit?

I renamed the title from my previous post since it may have been misleading. Hoping to get an opinion here .... After reading dozens of threads on batteries, and following broken links, I ordered the interstate MTP-H7 for our 2002 Jetta. After ordering it I see two things that concern me...
  12. J

How Dirty is my intake at 115K miles?

How Dirty is my intake at 115,000 highway miles? I have never cleaned it since the car was new. I'm procrastinating, so please motivate me!
  13. J

Interstate MTP-H7

Interstate MTP-H7 Battery After reading dozens of threads on batteries, and following broken links, I ordered the interstate MTP-H7 for our 2002 Jetta. After ordering it I see two things that concern me while continuing my readings here. Interstate makes a MTP-91, which is recommended here as...
  14. J

growling noise resolved - alternator

Last spring I devloped a metal noise which sounded like a bad bearing - near the timing side of the motor. After replacing the timing components for normal scheduled maintenance, the noise was still present. This noise turned into a low growling noise like when your 5-speed is in reverse but a...
  15. J

Cheap Fix for Expensive Job - Exhaust

I don't know what kind of engineer would design an exhaust sytem in two pieces, including the cat converter. The result is that you end up replacing the cat converter when anything else goes wrong on that section. That's exactly what happened when the weld at the cat and pipe rusted out on our...
  16. J

Cooling Fan and A/C

My A/C compressor and clutch and freon was replaced at the dealer this week for a tune of 899.30. They also advised me that the engine cooling fan on drivers side was not working. I asked how they tested and they couldn't answer me. They also said the A/C was fixed. From what I read here...
  17. J

Help with A/C not working

Ran the A/C for about an hour and a half today and then I heard a faint, high pitched squeal lasting about 5 seconds, and then no more cold air. Condensor fan is running, and the A/C light comes on but the compressor doesn't engage. I don't see any leaks, and there is some pressure when I...
  18. J

Strut/Shock Recommendations

I am looking to replace the shocks and structs on the 02 TDI. I wouldn't mind doing the springs with the job as well. And of course the bearings, etc. What do you recommend for stock comparable ride and height? I see the TC's are popular but a little harsh .... Jeff
  19. J

Trading VE for PD

I'm considering trading our 2002 TDI for a newer one with less miles. It's paid off now, with 135K on it. Trade in value is about 8K, and there is an 04 5-speed for sale near me with 25K on it cert pre-owned, which I could get for maybe 17K. I'm concerned with the PD engine. For some...
  20. J

Oil Light and Alarm Today

Today on my 90 mile commute home, the oil light and the alarm sounded while I was traveling highways speeds. Pulled over, shut it off, checked the oil, and it was full. Strange. Start back up...no strange noises, leaks, etc, so back on the road I go. 10 min later same thing. I keep driving...