Search results

1. T

Diesels in the USA: Time for a renaissance

When you are faced with paying close to 30 thousand for a small Golf (TDI, technology pack) where you can pay the same for a Fusion Hybrid... it gets though. The only reason I do not set a foot on a Ford dealer is because I know I will see first hand the much better value for money that the...
  2. T

Considering trading my 2011 for a 2013 - thoughts?

The only thing that would make any sense to me in that trade off would be getting the 36K OEM worry free guarantee and skipping the 40K DSG service. Other than that, financially, at least to me makes no sense.
  3. T

Because you live in NH where the entire state population is less than DFW metroplex wich is a highly populate city (and there are worse like LA). Yesterday alone a 16 mile commute took me 1.5 hours. The average speed was something like 11 miles per hour. One day try to cross Austin in the...
  4. T

Due to an accident I moved from a DSG GTI to a 6MT TDI. I am going to focus solely on the transmission. I too thought that it would be more fun to drive a 6MT than the paddled DSG. Here in Dallas, they have been working on the 635 highway for what it seems forever and the trafic becomes...
  5. T

VW Rethinks the Tiguan (edit: April Fools joke)

Ours was a company vehicle. We were very lucky to get it because it was company maintained and it was sold to us for less than 10K USD with very low miles. Luckily we had the money. Very happy with it. We plan to keep it if I can figure out how to register to Texas coming from Mexico. Right...
  6. T

VW Rethinks the Tiguan (edit: April Fools joke)

We have a 2009 CR-V. We dont like the new one, it seems like its deformed in the back (to us) and the front... Well anyway, the CR-V has never been a thing of beauty. But damn it is useful. And comfortable. So far its been in three 1,300 mile road trips, through some of the most inhospitable...
  7. T

Will you replace your current TDI with another next time?

No unless the Diesel road tax in the USA is charged only to big rigs on the road as it was intended to and not to a puny little family car. The price we pay for Diesel in the USA is beyond absurd and while it is nice to extend the time between fuel ups, we take all the bad stuff from driving a...
  8. T

VW Routan discontinued

Good riddance! Bring back the Eurovan.
  9. T

TDI Extreme depreciation?

I always wondered why VW sent us those ridiculous yellow stickers that say "Diesel Only." My exwife had a Passat 2006 TDI and she once filled it with gasoline, it cost her about 3K to get it cleaned at the dealer but she never had issues after that and she drove it past the 90K line. Well, if...
  10. T

OK, I'll keep that in mind. I am pretty happy with it. Like I said, it is a solid car with good reminiscent to my defunct GTI, but reading about that Hi Pressure Fuel Pump issue scared the bejesus out of me so now I feel like I am driving a hot potato.
  11. T

It is in excellent condition but I am looking at the "Fair." For excellent yes, it says $19,474.00 which is not to bad all things considered. But is it realistic to appraise your vehicle at excellent? Dealers go by the Black Book and that is less than the Blue Book. So, is the real private...
  12. T

KBB $16,774 Private Party KBB $15,089 Trade In Seems that no one wants a Golf TDI... :(
  13. T

14. T

Excessive paint chips

I noticed that on the solid color paints, the chipping is extreme. I had to put an invisible bra (the expensive Dupont stuff) to my Tornado Red GTI because it was chipping way way to easy. The Dupont stuff solved the issue, although for some reason the MKV seems to eat rocks with the windshield...
  15. T

Autotrader KBB et al.
  16. T

Forewarn: I enjoy writing so I write very long... so if your attention span is less than 2 seconds, disregard the long road and take the turnpike version. Tollway version: Has anyone noticed how much the TDI depreciates? Bought it one year ago at $22,000.00 Market price today is at $14,700.00...
  17. T

TDI now or wait for mkVII

This is entirely a personal opinion so take it for what it is worth. For me something died in VW when Bernd Pischetsrieder left. Bernd Pischetsrieder was the "crazy" man who commissioned the Phaeton, and who brought back to life the GTI badge from the slump of boredom that the previous versions...
  18. T

3m di-noc

Excellent! Thanks.
  19. T

3m di-noc

Does anyone know where I can buy this stuff locally? (DFW)
  20. T

"Best" Dallas VW Dealer (Service)?

I have bought 1 GTI MKV, 1 Passat TDI B5, 1 Golf 2.5 at Boardwalk and one MKVI TDI at Lewisville. I serviced all the three first at Boardwalk. After the "Free" services I only used them for parts. What pissed me off about the parts department is that they close about 15 minutes before they say...