Search results

1. Zeitgeist

FMIC dimensions?

I just realized that my IC is showing signs of leaking, so I'd like to replace this with a front mount, and eliminate the ridiculously expensive proprietary hoses. Is there anyone here experienced with this swap who can share the dimensions best used for the B5.5? Thanks in advance!
  2. Zeitgeist

Alternator exciter circuit

I'm wrapping up a 1Z swap into a '86 Club Joker Syncro, and need some advice from the swapper braintrust regarding how to wire in the alternator idiot light exciter circuit. I've looked all over this and many other sites, but I haven't found a definitive solution to how one recreates the...
  3. Zeitgeist

Mid-engine Vanagon

Has anyone heard of a B5 A4/Passat FWD drivetrain installed mid-ships in a T3 Transporter? I ask because I have both those vehicles, it strikes my fancy and seems perfectly plausible. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel, so if someone has knowledge and/or pics I'd love to see them.
  4. Zeitgeist

PD Underboost limp mode VCDS diagnostics tips n' tricks

Total VCDS noob here. For the last four or five months I've been struggling to figure out why our recently acquired '04 Passat BHW will go into limp mode nearly every time we drive it around, especially on hills. I've checked all the hardware (turbo-removed and cleaned, intercooler...
  5. Zeitgeist

'04 Sir Limps A Lot; the saga continues

We just bought an '04 Passat TDI wagon w/188k miles, which I've been lusting after for nearly two decades. I had to drive it back home in limp mode for over 60 miles, and it was bellowing embarrassingly large amounts of smoke. My OBD eleven scanner indicates that it has a P0299 Turbo...
  6. Zeitgeist

2.5tdi (five cylinder) with ALH wiring harness and ECU.

I'm interested in converting my T4 from VR6 to 2.5tdi, and have been told that it's possible to modify an ALH wiring harness and ECU to function with this engine. Does anyone here have any direct experience or knowledge of this process? I can imagine that the ECU doesn't care how many cyls are...
  7. Zeitgeist

Improving boost on an ALH with a K14

I just got my '89 Vanagon running with the ALH from an '01 Jetta automatic. It runs great, but isn't producing full power due to boost being limited to maybe 3 psi. The 11mm mTDI pump is from a Land Rover and the K14 turbo is from a 3.0L OM606. I fully realize that turbo is too big and it was...
  8. Zeitgeist

Mild steel manifold flanges?

Is there a source for mild steel D-port intake manifold flanges here in the US? I'm assuming these would be laser cut or water-jetted. I know it's possible to take CAD files to a machinist, but I'm just wondering if there are off-the-shelf examples from any US vendors. I'm currently...
  9. Zeitgeist

FS: '01 Jetta parts (whole car) and ALH electronics

I recently bought a complete running 2001 Jetta automatic w/200k. I'm installing the longblock in my '89 Vanagon as an mTDI build, so all the eTDI stuff is being sold, including the 11mm injection pump, VNT turbo/manifold, wiring, ECU, sensors, cluster, EGR cooler, etc. Everything except the...
  10. Zeitgeist

'01 ALH into '89 Vanagon Automatic

After years of plotting and planning, I finally pulled the trigger on the purchase of a 2001 Jetta w/203k and a dying automatic trans. I've owned my van since '04, and have wanted to do a TDI install from day one, but the sturdy WBX just wouldn't die. It's currently a 4 speed standard trans...
  11. Zeitgeist

50 degree mTDI options for Vanagons

I'm sure this info is peppered throughout this section, but my searches weren't very definitive. I just bought a 50 degree kit for my 2WD '89 Vanagon and want to settle on the best option for an mTDI install, which I believe is either a 1Z or AHU engine--are those the only direct injection...
  12. Zeitgeist

Real world experience w/propane?

Hi, I'm interested in some of your real world experiences running propane fumigation. Yes, I've checked the 91 articles in the archives, but there doesn't seem to be any detailed reports of problems (actual, not theoretical), or fuel economy and performance gains. I'm running a Powershot 2000...