Search results

1. E

this just in, diesel vanagon

Yeah, complete hunks of gutless crap with 4 speed trannys. avoid. I bought mine from a gypsy, (not joke). I was taken to the cleaners on that one. I have had a 2 old diesels, an eco diesel and now a tdi! Eric
  2. E

TDI Jetta Wagon

Sorry about the gramatical errors. I worked too late last night. Eric
  3. E

TDI Jetta Wagon

Got the green light for the Jetta Wagon from the wife. My blue sedan is great, but I think the wagon make for more sence given the newest addition, Jordan, age 4 weeks. What I really want is that Microbus, TDI, 115hp with a pot top. Yeahhhhoooo
  4. E

Im buying a honda

I'm sorry you are having problems with your VW. I have owned probably 8 vw's in my life. Some better than others. My 00 Jetta has been great the first 20k miles. I would probably buy a Honda, if they made one that met my needs of performance and milage. Check into Lemon Laws for your...
  5. E

Smoke at startup and low mileage

The puff of white smoke seems normal and constant to me. The awful sweet metalic, smell is too much. I have been around diesels all my life and never smelled this. It started about 5k miles, and still persists. My dealer told me it was the Catylitic converter and related to fuel possibly...
  6. E

Can I Get An Audi A2 1.2 TDI in the US?

Mercedes has a car just like this and they are inexpensive and all over Europe. They are the 40? or 90? model or something. Anyway one was driving around Seattle recently with Mexican plates. It was a gasser. Eric
  7. E

Convince me to get a TDI

I just drove round trip 150 miles in my TDI Jetta. It frickin' rips! It is the coolest and cockiest car in the world. I love filling it up every 500-600 miles. If that is not enough, think about this when you buy your 1.8T: I load the top of my Jetta up with 3 windsurfing boards, bags, 5...
  8. E

Gas to $3/gallon, wooooo hoooooo

Sorry Bentzen! You are wrong and grossly misinformed. You might want to try and read some credible liteature on this subject from journals like: Science, Nature, Scientific American instead of pamphlets from the John Birch Society. I hope your right, but I have a feeling your not. This is...
  9. E

If gas went to $5/gallon I suspect there would be little effect on the American Quality of life, perhaps enhancing it. We would be forced to: insulate our houses, turn off electricity, drive fuel efficient cars, carpool, walk, meet the neighbors, recycle, eat more vegetables, bike, loose...
  10. E

"It's unfair to disparage tha American people for using cheap fuel when it's available." The total costs are not considered when one factors in what one pays at the pump. I would argue that it is heavily subsidized (how much did we spend on the golf war) and does not factor in future costs...
  11. E

Craig. I moaned when I saw that thing as well. I thought, "they just don't get it". I feel like we are lumbering towards increasing demand, reducing supply and severe shortages. Not only that, I bet that Piece of Crap stops like a damn supertanker, corners like a 747 and rolls like, well...
  12. E

snip^We do not have an elaborate puplic transit system and our suburbs are 20-30 miles from the center of major metropolitan areas giving us no choice about long commutes of 30-40 miles one way which europeans think of as unthinkable^snip Are you guys nuts? We do not have a decent public...
  13. E

Apparently less crude has been produced and refinery capabilities are less as a result of maintence. Have you guys seen what electricity prices have done out west? More than just Americans are demanding cheap crude these days and OPEC is decreasing production. I think a little sticker shock...
  14. E

I heard on NPR that gas is going to $3/gallon this summer. Doesn't bother me a bit except I can't talk my wife out of the Audi A6 Wagon The only way Americans conserve is by kicking them in the Wallet. Perhaps there will be less old farts commuting in their Motor Homes 60 miles both ways...
  15. E

Yet more rumor re: Passat TDI any day now...

The Jetta Wagon comes from Europe and they have a huge demand for the TDI in Euroope. They will probably not ship the new Jetta Wagon with a TDI for at least a year, or so I have heard. ------------------ Sailingtdi
  16. E

Bringing a B5 TDI into the US???

Yeah, we all want the TDI in the passat wagon. Might as well throw in the V6 with the 6 speed and 4 motion AWD. Make it white, with tan leather. Maybe the new Microbus..... But two words for you, DREAM ON! Find a used 96 and 97. The passat came in a TDI those years, and I see them...
  17. E

Help, Bad Smell ?Cat Converter problem

My 2000 TDI has a severe metalic exhaust smell mostly in the morning after the start. It started around the time I begain to see the check engine lite. Took it to the dealer and the replaced the fuel injector . This is different than typical diesel exhaust which I am used to (4 diesel cars...
  18. E

Help Stinky Diesel/ Wife complains!

My check engine/emissions light came on about 2000 miles ago. The dealer mechanic thought it was a faulty emissions sensor and not to worry. Since then, my car STINKS badly and makes my wife NAUSEATED only when it is started, but is running just fine. It is a strange, new smell that is...
  19. E

Importing TDI's to US

Re: Importing TDI\'s to US and then putting it into the EV's bay, or even just getting a donor TDI and putting its engine into the EV. Norman. Is it difficult to put a 90 hp reblt TDI engine into a Eurovan? My bug and bus and engines/transmissions were all interchangable 20 years ago.
  20. E

Importing TDI's to US

Importing TDI\'s to US Ok I admit I am newbie to this forum and I am sure you good folks are tired of these kind of questions, but here it goes. Why not just put a TDI in a Eurovan, and add a Chip bring it up 115hp or just import a 2.5 liter engine from Europe Am I crazy or will the customs...