Search results

1. M

Possibly lost 1st gear synchro?

Need some advice. Yesterday the manual transmission suddenly started grinding, going into 1st when moving. Could sorta so times carefully and slowly find a good spot with the shifter, but not really. About 10 miles later and almost home and it suddenly feels like the engine has lost power and...
  2. M

dogbone replacement/fitment question

well, aside from power/IQ tuning issues, my day just had to get worse. while trying to find the right IQ/hammer mod position i punch it and get a loud clunk--the dog bone broke. its not even original, but only 3yrs old! anyway, i go to NAPA, they have one, but the computer says its for...
  3. M

brake issue-need help!

for awhile I've been noticing some stiction at the rear brakes, thought it was just the ebrake being finicky-if I didn't use it, things were fine. Now with warm weather it's gotten much worse. Driving on the highway, about 30min to work, the brakes begin to drag. Sometimes they loosen up...
  4. M

MAF diagnosis check

i'm a touch confused and i think i have multiple issues, so i wanted to check with all of you. this tank i've gotten poor mileage, probably mid 30's, have to fill up to be sure. but last night the car hiccupped twice at startup and had low power. fuel is under 1/4 tank (which i always do)...
  5. M

break in procedure for new clutch?

i just installed a new SBC stage 2 daily, because of the holiday, SBC is closed and I can't get the break in procedure. does anyone know what it is? thanks!!!!
  6. M

SBC install-weird noise when on/off throttle

just installed an SBC stage 2 daily in my MK4 jetta. it drives great and is quieter over all than before. but i have a weird noise when i come on/off the throttle sharply. it's kind of a "tchunk." if i ease on/off it doesn't happen. and it doesn't seem to happen from a stop. if i had to...
  7. M

somehow i think the price is a little high...

really, for a mk2? but it has cross drilled rotors!!!! http://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/cto/3156371210.html
  8. M

Oil pressure warning light

just installed my newsouth gauges--boost and oil pressure. and i could only find one oil port--the one with the engine sensor in it. and as expected, now the warning light is on. what's the easiest way to fix this? and will the computer limit or turn off the motor because of it? it's a 2003...
  9. M

no torque below 2000rpm?

what the title says. i can hear the turbo spool, but under 2000 (maybe 1500 somedays) there really is no torque. granted, i'm still used to my old mk3 where i never needed throttle coming off a stop, but the mk4's like driving a gas engine! i have cleaned the intake, replaced the EGR, and...
  10. M

Brake Issue Q's?

2003 jetta, no real braking issues, maybe a slight pull to the right on heavy braking. then i replaced all 4 rotors (zimmerman) and pads (trw) along with the front hoses (SS). i took it easy for about 100-150mi to break them in. then one day in heavy traffic i started to notice a wheel shake...
  11. M

brake line Q--mk4 and stainless

just went to do a full brake line and replace the rubber hoses with stainless. unfortunately i didn't realize the rears have 2 rubber sections, the body to axle, and the steel/rubber line on the axle to the caliper.. the SS hoses only replace the body--axle. is there a replacement for the...
  12. M

Konig wheel/lug messages

just got some konig laces, the huc-centric rings are on the way, but can i use the stock lug studs? i test bolted one wheel and it seems ok, but wanted to see what others have used. thanks!
  13. M

quick injector/IQ question

i just swapped out my injectors stock for PP520's. they were balanced by Kerma. before the swap my IQ was 4.5, afterwards it was 3.5. this was without any computer changes. is this normal? i thought the IQ was computer controlled and I had to change it, at least the computer value. i...
  14. M

EGR/intake/other diagnostics--is this the right train of thought?

i replaced the EGR valve today for a couple of reasons --strange MAF readings ie more air than specified by approx 250mg/stroke --when using "adaptaion" in VCDS the value stays at 85.5% no matter what. --it was leaking oil onto the intake after the replacement i can now adjust the...
  15. M

MK3 Stainless Brake Hoses

I have 2 braided stainless steel front brakes hoses for the MK3's. Part number 1H0 611 701 SS. I also have a rubber rear hose, by Meyle P# 1H0 611 775 These are brand new, original packaging. I'd prefer to sell them as a set, $70, shipping in the US included. thanks!
  16. M

Starting IQ and smoke

my 03 smokes on cold startup as soon as it gets near 40*F. i have checked and changed the IQ to values from 2.5 (original) to 5.0 with no real change. timing is goo. it's slightly advanced on the graph, and in VCDS the specified and actual timing values are almost dead on. injector balance...
  17. M

what does this mean? MAF Q's

my VCDS shows the MAF is reading too high. everything i'm finding shows it reading too low. the differential is pretty consistent. at idle expected=275 and actual=500 mg/stroke at various RPM's, it's still about 225 over expected, this varies slightly but only slightly. i have no MAF codes...
  18. M

pro's and con's of idle speed adjustment?

are there any pro's to this? what's the best idle speed? thanks!
  19. M

loose window, easy fix?

my drivers window is coming loose from the regulator. the regulator goes down, the window stays put. but once you get the window down and unseated from the weatherstripping, it's fine. are there any easy fixes for this? 2003 jetta, power windows. thanks!
  20. M

ecu #'s?

does the the 2003 ALH motor, manual trans, have a specific ECU part number, or are there a few different ones? i'm thinking about getting a new tune but can't part with my car for a few days, much less weeks. so i thought i'd get a 2nd ecu. while i've got you, what tuners do you recommend...