Search results

1. M

Diesel report on NPR this morning

I didn't catch all of it, but what I heard sounded reasonable. No stupid diesel-trashing talk. They also mentioned Mahindra on their way to a report on the company itself.
  2. M

Where are the Tiguans?

I work in Huntsville, Al, which is a relatively cosmopolitan area (for Alabama, at any rate) with plenty of people with money and plenty of SUVs and a historical influx of Germans. So, all in all, a VW-friendly place, but I have seen one Tiguan so far. Are they selling that poorly? Too bad VW...
  3. M

Hmph! So much for Honda's reliability ...

We have a 2005 Honda CRV with about 65000 miles with which we have been pretty pleased. Up until two days ago, anyway. We had been having an intermittent starting problem. We took it to the dealer (I turned idiot for a moment). They said it needed a new starter. $1100. Yes, $1100 to replace a...
  4. M

'Super speeder' fines in Georgia

If you're driving through Georgia, you ought to know that the state has enacted what they call a "super speeder" law that adds $200 to the fine for driving over 20 mph over the limit on the highway. That's on top of some fairly stiff fines already. This could be especially expensive in those...
  5. M

Phaeton: Jetta or Passat lookalike - novelist gets it wrong

I'm reading a William Gibson novel (he wrote "Neuromancer" way back), and a mysterious, extremely wealthy character who picks up one of the main characters in a Maybach mentions that he also uses Phaetons sometimes because they are less noticeable. He says at a distance they look like a Jetta...
  6. M

Do those headlights!

We've had threads on this before, but I just wanted to reinforce it: sand those fogged, degraded headlight covers. It's easy. I did it last weekend. I started with 220 grit, then 400, 800, 1000 and 2000, and finished with rubbing compound. The difference is nothing less than amazing. It went...
  7. M

Click-click-click behind the dash?

I noticed my 2001 Golf making a clicking noise behind the dash after it's started. It makes several clicks, then stops for a few seconds, then several more clicks. This may continue for a couple of minutes after starting, and in some cases the clicking goes on for several seconds at a time. It...
  8. M

Bouncy-bouncy: the new presidential limo

Did anyone else notice how the presidential limo bounced over the speedbumps after the inauguration? It looks like it needs new shocks really bad. Heavy duty shocks, of course.
  9. M

Age old question: why does diesel cost so much?

Everyone wonders, but does anyone know? Here's one answer from Edmunds: increasing worldwide demand, higher cost because of new government requirements, somewhat higher tax per gallon, higher refining cost (what?). And this was from 2005. Other more current sources give pretty much the same...
  10. M

Pulsing lights

All of the lights on my '01 Golf pulse while the engine is running - headlights, dash lights, dome light if it's on, everything. It's a fairly high frequency, maybe a couple or so pulses per second. It is most noticeable at idle or at low speeds. They do not pulse with the engine off. Could this...
  11. M

Cold weather check-engine light

This is the second time a temperature near 20F has caused a glow-plug fault to show up as a CEL. It happened a month or so ago first. I cleared it and it stayed off until a couple of night ago when we had another low about 20F. I guess a glow plug must be marginal. I have about 90,000 miles and...
  12. M

FS 6-disk CD changer from '01 Golf

This is the dealer-bought, plug-and-play unit for a stereo with CD controls. It mounted in the trunk of the Golf, directly into the mounting bracket, and it plugs into the factory cable. I replaced it with an iPod adapter, so I no longer need it. I will take $25 plus shipping. The only other...
  13. M

1989 Chevrolet gas pickup engine problem

This is about as far from a VW tdi as you can get, but maybe someone here can help. I recently bought a 1989 Chevy 3500 with the giganto 7.4 liter gas engine. It runs OK at highway speeds but at 35-40 it acts strange. It sort of put-puts, almost as if it's running out of gas, even if I depress...
  14. M

Flickering lights

I have been noticing that my lights flicker. I mean every light, from the headlights to the illumination of the dash instruments. It's most noticeable when I first start the car. I'm not certain whether they flicker all the time, but I have noticed it long into a drive. It's a 2001 Golf with the...
  15. M

Rear brake R/R -- not too bad

I replaced the pads and rotors on my '01 Golf last weekend. It was not bad. Some of the brake R&R threads helped. I found that I could retract the brake piston using an adjustable C-clamp and adjustable pliers. I could screw the clamp tight, then turn the piston with the pliers. I didn't have to...
  16. M

Phaeton still looks like a Passat

One passed me the other day. I know a lot of people pooh-pooh the idea that you ought to be able to tell if you spend $mucho on a car, but still, VW should have known that if you can mistake a very expensive car for a much cheaper car, not many people will buy it. Mercedes knows that, and that's...
  17. M

Which rotors and pads?

I need to R&R the rear brakes on my 2001 Golf, so I checked the World Impex site and they have a couple of listings for rear brake rotors and pads. It looks like more than one set will fit. There is Brembo and "genuine part" and Balo. And then there are the pads. Which should I get? Pick by...
  18. M

Dang! Tore the weather stripping

It rained yesterday evening and then we had a hard freeze. So, when I opened the driver's side door, the door took off a patch from the weatherstripping on the body. It's about two inches long and a half inch wide. Has anyone replaced that piece? It looks like it might just pull off. And where...
  19. M

Headlight lens cleaning compound?

I know this has been discussed but I can't seem to find a thread - my 2001 Golf headlight lens (or covers, or whatever you call them) are getting that hazy, slightly yellowish look. I was trying to find what kind of cleaning compound is best. Anyone remember?
  20. M

Flat towing?

Does anyone here have any experience towing an A4 Golf with all four wheels down behind a motorhome? I have seen it done, but have never talked to anyone about it.