Search results

1. B

FS: Thule roof rack

For sale in very good condition is a Thule roof rack with wind fairing. I never set it up with a lockset, but that could be added (not included). The "fit kit" is for A4 Jettas. 48" bars $150 (free shipping to lower 48 states)
  2. B

fs: 99.5 Jetta Manual 300k

Hi folks. Hate to part with this jetta, but am in a life stage where I need a low maintenance car. My craigslist ad is here: http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4397985881.html Cheers. Bradley
  3. B

humming jetta

When I turn off the engine, I get a smooth, low pitched hum for 3-5 seconds that fades to nothing. Its been going on for about 6 weeks. The hum is becoming gradually longer and slightly more audible. 285K on the car (99.5 jetta). All else seems to be fine, except for an intermittent ABS...
  4. B

brake/vacuum question

Yesterday I replaced the tubing from my vacuum pump to the brake booster hoping it would improve an intermittently stiff brake pedal. I'm taking it for a drive today and will test its effectiveness. In the process, however, I thought it odd that the short pipe/nipple on the back of the vac pump...
  5. B

B4 radiator replacement

Looking for a how-to for removal/replace of the B4 radiator. Have I missed it somewhere? Anyone have experience with this job? Thanks. Bradley
  6. B

wind noise

I live in a windy state, and am more and more aware of a lot of wind noise around our front doors of our 99.5 Jetta. If I replace the weatherstripping around the front doors, will wind noise improve inside the car? Does anyone have any experience with this? I've noticed that when it is...
  7. B

random periodic dash reset

I've had my B4 Passat a short time and have noticed that about once every ten days or so, upon startup, the trip odometer and clock reset themselves. I recently had to replace the ignition switch and I had hoped that would be the culprit, but it happened again today. Any thoughts? Thanks much.
  8. B

Pitfalls of V6 2005 Passat

In considering the purchase of a 2005 Passat V6 TDI with 90K miles on it, what besides the Balance Shaft deal, can I expect to replace in its next 90K? I get the impression this is much higher maintenance than the A4.
  9. B

Oil and fuel spray

Gulp. Just back from a 1600 mi. trip in our 99.5 jetta (263K). Noticed that the bumper and rear of the trunk (from tail light to tail light) is coated with a thin layer of oil from exhaust. Also under the car, there is blowback that seems to be oil in some places (right side) and FUEL (yes...
  10. B

listening tube for pinpointing engine tick

I just acquired a 97 Passat tdi with around 223K. I need to diagnose a strong engine tick that occurs at idle (and while driving). What is the optimal way (absent a stethoscope) to listen. Would a piece of pvc work? Just wondering what techniques anyone might suggest. Fortunately, I'm not...
  11. B

Why did that work?

My 99.5 Jetta (247k) will not start. We recently replaced the injection pump shut off solenoid and had a new timing belt job done (by a trusted tdi mechanic). Also installed a new relay 109. A couple of days later it would not start. Cranked strong, but would not fire. I coasted it out of...
  12. B

cruise control electrical problem

The cruise on my 99.5 Jetta is really hit and miss. When it is on, engaging the turn signal usually cancels it out. I also notice that when it isn't working at all, I can often get it to engage by turning the right signal "on", but then when I switch the signal back off, the cruise terminates...
  13. B

Is this the end?

When I left home this morning our 99.5 Jetta TDI was a 5 speed. My wife drove it about 50 miles today, and long story short, we have something like a 2 speed with no reverse. We're at 231K. I can maneuver through all gear positions. Each position engages the tranny, but they all engage high...
  14. B

Headlight ground

My left side high beam is extremely dim--apparently not getting a good ground. Can someone tell me where to find the ground in order to clean it? Thanks. 99.5 Jetta TDI
  15. B

fuel pump

My 99.5 Jetta had been starting hard (lots and lots of cranking). It has been sitting for the last month (I've been out of the country) and now won't start at all. Relay 109 was replaced 6 months ago. Battery is 5 years old, but I have also reinforced by jumping and still does not start. I...
  16. B

Stalled at highway speed

My 99.5 Jetta conked out a couple days ago. I was cruising at 65 mph or so. I first noticed the engine missing, then the cruise cut out, then white smoke and complete stall. I had to have it towed home. I'm at 190k miles with recently replaced timing belt, MAF, vane actuator, and clean EGR...
  17. B

Turbocharger/Actuator assembly

I am in the middle of replacing my vane actuator on a 99.5 Jetta. The little clip that holds the vane to the shaft on the turbo snapped apart during disassembly. Of course, Volkswagon doesn't sell this part. Any wisdom on where I could get one of these? My turbo is rusted fast to the exhaust...
  18. B

Turbo removal, how to

I've spent a couple of hours searching and haven't found a thread on how to remove an A4 turbo to replace the vane actuator. Does anyone have photos? Did I miss something? Since I know you're going to ask, mine seems to be sticking. I'm experiencing: uneaven acceleration (sometimes, not...
  19. B

Timing question

I decided not to brave the timing belt change on my 99.5 Jetta (178K). I took it to someone I thought I trusted, but here is the situation. When I picked it up, it had no power. Quite limp & noisy. I took it back immediately, they said they were getting a MAF code. (Power had not been an...
  20. B

Electrical problem

UBB17-ML-1022098-ML-