Search results

1. R

Poltergeists?

I also was hearing a whining noise in my stereo for a few days, but when I finally put my ear up to the radio I discovered it was coming from the tape deck! Since there are two eject positions for the tape in my radio, occasionally I leave it in the "Stopped but not popped out" position. I...
  2. R

TDI 5-speed MPG

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stringbean: Hey Rickychuck: I've been looking everywhere for that Stanadyne stuff - where do you get it? I read a "hop-up" article in a 4-wheeler mag a few months ago about their efforts on a early Chevy...
  3. R

how fast do additives work

Cosmic, If they give you a 32 oz can for 100 gallons and you have 15 gallon tank..... 32=100 16=50 8=25 4=12.5 I use the stanadyne, and the 16 oz bottle is for 60 gallons, 1/2 botle for 30 gallons, etc. Since I don't know how well it was treated before, I have been adding a 1/2 bottle the...
  4. R

air intake and rain water

I have been thinking about this while trying to decide upon an opening thru the grille for air into the airbox with a larger hose. I specifically thot of this today while the car wash shot high pressure water into my grille. I would guess the K&N would stop some water going thru, but I...
  5. R

TDI Fest 2001, the saga continues

OH....I knew that! ------------------ The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful (98 Jetta)
  6. R

TDI Fest 2001, the saga continues

Utah gets my vote, tho it will be my first Fest..I've four-byed there and they make you welcome to the max. I know the guys in Texas and NM and AZ and CA would probably be able to make it too. Last time I went to British Columbia, I forgot and left an empty holster in my trunk...that border...
  7. R

Consistent MPG

I think if you got that dead armadillo unstuck from under your bug the mpg would go wayyy up and it would smell better when you filled up! ------------------ The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful (98 Jetta)
  8. R

MPG & Venting

Hook EM Horrrrrrrrrnnnnsss! I grovel at thy feet, East...I had just driven past Barry Switzer's Chicken Palace in Lawton and it made me crazy! Well, forget that venting KRAP! I pinched a blister on my finger trying to use that dadblame thing. The handle turned in my hand and YOUCH! I no...
  9. R

I'm going to shoot my TDI

Re: I\'m going to shoot my TDI <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BetaTDI: Just woke up. I worked last night at the hospital and all day today at the install shop and needed a little nap before I went back to the shop to check out the Jetta...
  10. R

MPG & Venting

Hello East, Ric, Steve and all, I forgot I had thrown some cents into this thread! East, I just went to Lawton, OK for the weekend with the spouse..she played in the Philharmonic down there. The speed on the Turnpike is 75 so natch I went at least that fast, and oh, lets see another 5 for...
  11. R

When to Refuel?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VWBoost: Ric, what happens if you do run it out of fuel? A guy at the dealer said its very hard to start up again because of the high compression. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Boost, I ran out once in my 84 Burb...it...
  12. R

Middle East

"Taxes are not a large part of the cost of fuel. I wouldn't mind seeing higher taxes if I knew that it would go into making the roads better. Higher tax= higher price= eventually less consumption. Simple economics and a good thing. Just about everywhere else in the world pays much higher taxes."...
  13. R

MPG & Venting

Hey East here's some Stream of Consciousness, I feel your pain, man. It is easy to get stars in your eyes if you read these posts before owning a TDI. I was licking my chops at the thot of 50s plus mpg, even tho I had an 85 Jetta, and was only able to get 51 out of it once in two...
  14. R

98 Jetta De-Screening Process Documented

I have had several requests for this file mentioned above, which was originally just an offer to email, so I built a small home page and included it in the above memo so I could provide a link and reduce the effort to get to it for all. Hope it is worthwhile. Rick ------------------ The...
  15. R

When to shift when racing

About the Maxima... don't bet any money on yourself ------------------ The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful (98 Jetta)
  16. R

High price of Diesel Gas/PRICE CHECK......

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rotorhead: I'd been getting accustomed to $1.35/gal, which was 10 cents cheaper than base unleaded. Needless to say, that price is history. Thursday 8/31 (just before Labor day, coincidence? ) it jumped to...
  17. R

98 Jetta De-Screening Process Documented

Hello all, I finally dived in and performed the infamous De-Screening on my 98 Jetta. Before I went to work on it I had a few reservations, but at the same time I was really concerned about the anecdotal accounts of screens being plugged, etc. I decided to document the process thoroughly...
  18. R

help me with this man, it's killing me!

Re: help me with this man, it\'s killing me! TAKE THE VAN, My family went to Devils Tower a few years ago..we rented an Intrepid because our 6.2d Burb blew out four or five glow plugs and would not go. Even in an Intrepid with one small boy in the back it was a tight fit and by the second day...
  19. R

10 Upsolute Chip Upgrade Observations

Greetings to all, Saw some of the pics from the GTG...all of you should feel very satisfied that it came off so well...I do not really know any of you yet but I felt like I was missing out...hope another one can be arranged so more of we Midwest/Southwest types can make it. Upsolute question...
  20. R

Mile/Kms on your tires, their condition, performance history

Bought my 98 Jetta used, but they had just put a new set of Kuhmos on it..bread and butter type I expect. I hate these little suckers...flex like a belly dancer and they make road noise like mad. But they are new and I have a few more things on the list before I spring for new ones. I tried to...