Search results

1. M

Broken Motor Mount - How do you know?

Pulling away from a stop light tonight there was a fairly loud clunk/snap sound. Then no apparent differences in sound or vibration. Couple of miles further down the road every time I either got on the throttle or off it there was a momentary clunking sound again. Pulled into a parking lot and...
  2. M

Can't remove parking brake cable from chassis tube

I have a 99.5 Jetta and am trying to replace the parking brake cable. I can't get it out of the chassis tube. The small plastic sleeve that is inserted into the end of the chassis tube will not budge. Anyone have any experience with this and if so what did you end up doing? Thanks,
  3. M

Modded Eng Timing Belt Frequency Change out?

For those with modded engines, are you adjusting the OEM timing belt change out frequency downward from the 100K mile recommendation? If so what mileage are you using to determine your frequency based on how severely you've made modifications? 90K, 80K, all the way down to the original OEM of...
  4. M

V8 TDI Power from V6 TDI? How?

How would one go about doing this? Is this possible with bolt on performance parts only and a tune?
  5. M

N75 exactly the same as N18 ?

Just got finished trouble shooting a low boost problem with my 17/22. During part of the problem solving I replaced all my vacuum lines and got rid of all the lines running to the N18. I also switched the N18 for the N75 to see if that was the problem. It wasn't. But I've left the N18 installed...
  6. M

Anyone using EGT's to maintain high MPG's ?

Thought I'd try driving a tanks worth of fuel while trying to keep my EGT's <650 F as much as possible. Will only know my true MPG when I fill up next. Curious if others are using this method. And if so what the results are.
  7. M

Q7 TDI Engine Performance Upgrades ??

Scoping out some used Q7 TDI's and am interested in learning what engine performance upgrades are possible. Not having much luck searching in Google. What's possible thru ECU reflashes ? Who is doing this ? Any of the more well known Companies tried their hands at this engine ? Rocketchip...
  8. M

Fault Code 17969 ? Not in Rosstech

Can anyone help me with specifics on this fault code? It is not listed in Ross-Tech. That fault code list jumps from 17967 to 17970. All the VCDS tells me is Quantity Adjuster (N146) but nothing specific about it.
  9. M

Soot stains on garage floor

On start up my car is staining my garage floor with an oval patch of soot. And it is a dry soot, not oily or water wet at all. Is this normal? See my signature for mods. My oil consumption is only 1/2 qt per 10,000 miles between oil changes. I have been using Shell Rotella T-6 10w-40 full...
  10. M

How long do Harmonic Balancers last ?

My alternator died and with 152K miles and I figured I would also replace the accessory belt tensioner, idler pulley wheel, and v-belt as well. I checked the alternator clutched pulley and it is fine hence the replacement. So my question is, with 152K miles, should I consider replacing the...
  11. M

PP764/PP502/R520 with 10mm IP for no smoke?

See my sig for mods. Contemplating my next upgrade so the question I have is this : Which nozzles will allow me to max out the fuel delivery of the 10mm IP, with a PD lift pump, and at most have a light haze out the tail pipe ?? I want clean power. Only mod I have left in addition to the...
  12. M

Oil Pressure during cold start up?

I installed an oil pressure gauge this summer so as far as what numbers are coming up during my cold winter start ups I'm in uncharted waters. I use Rotella T-6 10W-40. The initial pressure numbers are in the 100 - 110 psig range when the outside temperature is <0 Deg F. These readings quickly...
  13. M

Mercedes R320 CDI remap ?

Interested in buying a certified used vehicle. The 4x4 on these vehicles with the diesel engines looks promising especially with all the snow we've been getting lately. My biggest concern is the performance with a 5000 lb car. So does anyone know of a remap for this engine State side ? Do not...
  14. M

Upper RPM limit with stock internals?

See my sig for current mods. Will be getting balanced R520's in the spring and wanted to know what the RPM limit is for OEM internals. What should I ask the Tuner for? 5000? 5500? 6000!?
  15. M

99.5 Jetta VIN split for parking brake cables???

I need to replace the parking brake cables on my 1999.5 Jetta. I ordered a set which was supposed to be specific to the 99.5 model year but the end connections are not the same as what is on the car. I've now just been told there is a VIN split for this part for just the 99.5. Any one know...
  16. M

How much HP & Trq will OEM axles and CV joints handle ?

Anyone know what these are rated for ? With an AHL taken to the max utilizing the stock pistons, rods, and bottom end, will the OEM axles and CV joints hold up ?
  17. M

At what boost pressure do you need new head studs ?

I'm running a VNT-17/22 that see's 28 psi at WOT. Have any others run this combination for a while and not needed to replace their head studs with upgraded ones ?
  18. M

R520's out flow 10 MM IP w/ PD Lift pump ?

Searched and searched and still could not find a definitive answer to my question. I'm trying to decide which nozzles to upgrade too. I have a VNT-17/22, 3 Bar Map, PD Lift pump, and 2.5" turbo back exhaust waiting to be installed. See my signature for other upgrades. Will R520's out flow the...
  19. M

17/22 install in 99.5 Jetta questions

As my VNT-15 has decided to call it quits after 147K miles I want to install the 17/22 hybrid, 2.5" port matched DP, high flow cat, center resonator, tail pipe. I've had the complete Timing Belt changed out within the last 8000 miles and the car is currently running very well but the turbo...
  20. M

17/22 install in 99.5 Jetta questions

Moved to Power Enhancement section