Search results

1. B

Popping out of first 5 speed swap

Finally got around to a 5 speed swap I had sitting in my shop for 5 months, and have run into this which is one of the last pieces of the puzzle. Put in first gear and even if I try and hold it in gear I give it some pedal it comes out. Does not happen in second or reverse though. Here is...
  2. B

1.8T Clutch specs for Tdi engine

I have a 2005 passat wagon waiting for a 6 speed in the drive way right now. Frans is the way to go if you want to get a good kit which means less headaches for you. I don't have the kit yet as I don't need the car at the moment and the money can be used elsewhere.
  3. B

Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

I have a 2008 grand cherokee crd, had it for 4 years now and my only complaint is the fuel efficiency. Although I have a dodge 1500 with a hemi that is close to the same weight and the hemi uses 50% more fuel. Mercedes engine + transmission, the rest is jeep. Biggest issue I have had is the...
  4. B

2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel 1/2 Ton Pickup - Cummins 5-liter v8 turbo diesel

The ISB is an inline 6 cylinder, the titan cummins has a V8, completely different setup. A version of the ISB is what is in the ram's 2500/3500 and up. Also used in the heavy end ford lineup ie F650's +. Dodge dropped it because they could not hit a fuel economy target with the engine no...
  5. B

VW trucks heading stateside?

The F150 only largest selling pickup because they give them away at cost to all different levels of government. They do this because they pretty much know they will be able to sell oem parts for the next 4 years for these trucks (Do government employee's treat the trucks that good?). The 20%...
  6. B

W8 to tdi conversion front brake job $!

Wondering if got the bigger caliper as a replacement. Looking at a major supplier to napa and shops for vw's online pricing they list 2 different calipers for the w8 4.0 passat. There is a 321mm and a 334mm disc caliper for the front. Don't know if you can put the wrong rotor/caliper and...
  7. B

Troubleshooting limp mode, looking for vacuum pump.

You can switch the n18 and n75 around and see if that makes a difference. They do the same thing, same connector, and since you are removing the egr you don't exactly need it any more. Easy and free!
  8. B

Prarie driving

I do have access to to a 4x4, but have used my jetta/golf and every other vw diesel for the last 12 years out in Regina/Calgary. Biggest issue is clearance on side streets after all the snow falls and no clearing being done. Don't lower your car, let the lowered cars scrape the bottom and...
  9. B

5 speed swap - How many labor hours?

Sorry I meant just dropping a manual and doing a seal/clutch change, not an auto-manual conversion. I was just curious as to what the difficult part was so when I get into dropping the slush box on my passat I know how to schedule my time. I am a small business owner that has the customers...
  10. B

5 speed swap - How many labor hours?

For those that have done this what's the killer that brings the time up? I know I used to be able to do the alh one in roughly 4 hours with a new rear main, so I was wondering what takes so long for this one? I understand its a conversion so shifter and axles need a change, just curious as I...
  11. B

Timing belt snap!!

Pull your head and take a look. There are a lot of tdi's for cheap lately, might be better and cheaper to find another and sell your car for parts. Head new aftermarket, not cheap Chinese cr@p is about $900 buying yourself not including the gasket + bolts + timing belt. That is if only the...
  12. B

Studded snow tires for winter roadtrips?

The Nokian Hakka 7's have the stud retract in warmer weather. There is a gel pack that sits behind the stud and when it freezes it expands and pushes the stud out. I have some Hakka 5's on there 4th or 5th season and still driving great. I wear them 4-5 month of the year and they do spin...
  13. B

Canadian Tire AGM Battery

Gas cars have way less stress on a battery then a diesel. Gas starters in VW's were 1.1kw, diesels were 2.0 if I remember correctly, and typically with a diesel it needs to turn over a little more in the cold then a gas. I have seen batteries last a long time, typically though in diesels...
  14. B

Your experience and opinion please

Picked up my Passat dirt cheap because vw wanted too much money to investigate the problem. I knew it was the BS from the description the girl gave in the online ad, there was no way a vw mechanic didn't know what it was. Trailered it home, deleted it, and everything has been running great the...
  15. B

Is 200hp fast?

Many of the 200 hp cars will beat us racing, they will also beat us to the junk yard. Sit in a neon or Subaru with the same miles on the clock, you will notice the difference fast. If you want fast, then your best bet is something that burns premium gas and requires lots of visits to gas...
  16. B

2008 Jeep Cherokee Diesel $6,800

Those Jeeps have both a Mercedes engine + transmission. The swirl motor can be avoided with a new intake pipe with an updated seal. When I got mine it was easily if not more then half the price of any VW or Audi offering of the same year. If you get the quadra drive 2, you are also...
  17. B

Canadian Tire AGM Battery

Did you put the bigger battery in the Passat, or did you keep the same size that was in it? Passat's come with a smaller battery then what your Jetta has.
  18. B

Strange boost?

Just fixed a similar issue with a new maf sensor. 1st and 2nd would be pretty good, but once I got into the higher rpm's in the later gears 21 psi with the foot on the floor and gutless. Boost would dance a little as well, but I felt like I was driving my old non turbo jetta diesel, it was...
  19. B

Fair is fair

Cavaliers had their place, but comparing it to the Jetta or a Passat is not exactly the same field. Like mentioned, close the door on either vw and close the door on the cavalier and notice the difference. Also sit in a seat of either vw and sit in a cavalier seat all with high miles on the...
  20. B

are these turbo blowup symptoms?

Jack the car up and pull the fresh air intake hose off. See if the turbine is still there, rotates fairly freely, and doesn't have too much movement. I would take a quick look at the charge air hoses first, but do this second. Every turbo I have blown has come out in 2 parts, real easy to see...