Search results

1. R

FS: 1998 Jetta TDI

$2500. 244,000 miles. Blue. Located in Rapid City, SD. Meticulously maintained for the past 100k miles. Runs great. Always gets 40+ mpg and I commute up and down 1200' every day. Includes set of summer wheels and tires and set of winter wheels with of studded snow tires. Snows have only one...
  2. R

Running super rough, stumbling a at idle, smoking, low power, and grinding buzz

My 01 golf with 320k miles on it is running super rough, stumbling a at idle, smoking, has very little power and a strange grinding buzz. Here is a video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-upload_owner&v=7sFtwtQiOMM This is what I've done so far. -checked vag com - no fault codes...
  3. R

Turbo lifespan? - Replace turbo at 258k mi TB change?

I searched for a bit but couldn't find a good answer on this one. I'll be replacing the Timing Belt on my 2001 Golf TDI soon at 258,000 mi. - still has original turbo. I'm debating replacing the turbo while I have everything torn apart. I've heard what might be a squeal from the turbo during...
  4. R

WTB: mk3 muffler for 98 Jetta TDI

Anyone have one they need to part with? My wife's car lost it's muffler in a fender bender and my mufflerectomy fix is a bit too noisy for her. Thanks.
  5. R

Rough uneven idle with clacking and popping

My wife was driving our 01 Golf to work yesterday when the engine lost power all of the sudden and started clacking/popping. She limped the rest of the way into work (5 mi). From her original description I thought it might be the fuel filter, so replaced that last night in the parking lot...
  6. R

Passenger Side Dashboard Rattle - Unique (I think)

Hi all, I have a head-scratcher of a rattle coming from the passenger side of the dashboard in my '01 Golf. I've searched through the forums and can't find anything that I haven't tried yet. The rattle is present while idling at a stop. As the revs are raised it disappears. The same rattle...
  7. R

Windshield wipers only work on fast setting

The windshield wipers on my '01 Golf only work on the fast setting. Nothing happens at the intermittent, slow and medium settings. Does anyone have a recommedation on where to begin troubleshooting. Thanks.
  8. R

Black crud on upper timing belt idler pulley

During my oil change, I noticed this black crud stuck to the surface of the upper timing belt idler pulley. All of the other pulleys are clean. I replaced the timing belt 20k mi. ago and didn't notice anything like this on the original pulley. I do have a slow (1/2 qt per 10k mi) oil leak...
  9. R

TB change in progress - 2 questions

I'm currently trying to finish up my first TB change on my 2001 Golf (92k miles). I'm the 2nd owner and the original belt had been changed at 30k for some unknown reason. I'm doing a full change out of everything with the $340 Dieselgeek kit and have the Metalnerd tools. drivbiwire's guide...