1. N

.:FIS Cluster

Good job. --Chris
  2. N

Highs, Lows and Fogs on at same time

I did it on my MKIV. It was some hellacious rewiring. --Chris
  3. N

Euro Switch and 5 brake light mod question

The five-brake-light mod, in another forum: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2281868-JETTA-WAGON-FORUM-Ocean-tail-lights-and-the-five-brake-light-mod-...-pics!&highlight=brake --Chris
  4. N

Skid Plates--Why Not UHMW Polyethylene?

Ah, well, there's your problem. You're looking at it the wrong way. You should be showing off the dents and scrapes on the OEM steel skid plate. Battle wounds are sexy. I agree with the previous posters that UHMWPE would be a poor substitute for steel, from a defensive perspective. I, too...
  5. N

1/2 MFA Cluster

If the MFA is dim around the corners more so than in the center, then the LCD screen that generates the characters (which are backlit by LEDs) is aging. It happens, worse in some clusters than others, and there's no fixing it. The MFA screen is not what you'd call "user-serviceable". Your...
  6. N

Elbrus Wheels

I have Elbrus I05's for my BMW's winter wheels...they seemed a good-looking alternative to steelies that didn't cost that much more..for $670, I got the wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60's mounted and balanced. I have had no problems with them, but only had the winter tires on the road for...
  7. N

Climatronic

And removing the airbag. :) Congratulations to you and Alex. We should make commemorative T-shirts. --Chris
  8. N

Cluster Lights Went Out Suddenly ...

Cluster lights are designed not to come on if any of your parking lights fail. It's a little light check. So start there, and let us know if that doesn't work. Oh, plus, there are two fuses that run the cluster...one is, I believe, for the lights, but I can't remember which at the moment...
  9. N

Climatronic

That would certainly be nice, but the Jetta's not my DD. And it's in a garage, anyway. I would want the solar cooling option more for the gee-whiz factor, and because I bet there are a good number of people here and on the 'tex that would like to have that option, too. You can get that...
  10. N

Climatronic

Glad I could be of assistance. Re-reading this thread, I'm inclined to look into the solar-powered fan feature that european Passats have...if it's as simple as some wiring behind the Climatronic head unit, I think it would be an awesome mod to have. --Chris
  11. N

Park Distance Control (Factory Installed)

Tim, the sensors that came with my Kufatec harness are 1J0 919 275B made in Spain by Bosch. --Chris
  12. N

99-05 Climotronic retrofit?

It is quite the undertaking, and if you're only *thinking* about doing it, then you shouldn't do it. You have to WANT it. You need to R&R everything from the seats forward...the entire manual airbox (next to the firewall on the passenger side) has to be replaced with a Climatronic airbox. To...
  13. N

Cluster build date question

Well, it's a hybrid cluster in that someone used the plastic housing from another cluster. The data on that sticker has nothing to do with the circuit board in your cluster. --Chris
  14. N

Looking for VagDash or VagTacho in area of Nrofolk, Va

If you ever get up around York, PA, or Baltimore, MD, I can help out. --Chris
  15. N

Gas MFA Cluster in a TDI

Yes. Changing the country code will switch your odometer reading from km to miles, or vice versa. Use a VAG-COM, change the soft coding's third digit. No biggie. You can't change a cluster's odometer if it's over 62km, or 100 miles, not 100k miles. You would not be able to change the...
  16. N

Another Key Question

You likely have not done irreparable harm to the keys. Just repeat the procedure (but without actually starting the car, this time...). Should be fine. --Chris
  17. N

Show me your fog lights.

I whore 4 U. --Chris
  18. N

Illuminated Shift Knob

Without a doubt, one of the nicest "simple" mods you can do. I chose blue illumination because I already had the red ambient lighting from the W8 console. The red reflection on the blue knob looks cool. So sad that Rieger is going out of business! --Chris
  19. N

dual front Fog wiring question

Blasphemous as it may be to link to vwvortex from here...http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2901890. I did it. --Chris
  20. N

Downgrade ESP

Think of the dumbie light as a "you are now free to do burnouts" light. Problem solved! But if you really don't like the light, then you can put a piece of electrical tape *under* the cluster face to conceal the light. IIRC, ESP has to be switched off every time you turn on the car, though...