Search results

1. ericy

DRL fault code appearing.

I finally got around to looking at this more closely. The dealer quote was to replace the *entire* headlight assembly. Part number 5GM-941-754-D. From the dealer, the part itself is 1300$, and then toss in some extra for tax and labor. Best I can for the part alone find by googling is around...
  2. ericy

Passat Dead in US

The claim is that Chattanooga will be making ID.4 for the U.S. market starting in 2022. I have an ID.4 on order, but that will have to come from Germany.
  3. ericy

That's just one of course - one that I would regard as more competent. She didn't have time to let them actually attempt diagnosis, so the 1700$ is really a worst case, I guess. Since I don't have anything in writing, I can't tell what it is that they contemplated changing. Unfortunately that...
  4. ericy

That's my sense of it - possibly an LED driver. I could do it myself, but I would want to wait until October when the temperature in the garage is tolerable. Right now it is brutal. Back in the day, we had the Bentley manual that had incredibly detailed repair instructions. But they no...
  5. ericy

My wife went by the dealer to ask them what they thought. They didn't have any time to do any real diagnosis, but they said that it would be 1700$ to replace the DRL module on the right hand side. Their advice was to just live with it.
  6. ericy

I don't recall what the warranty was when we got the car, but probably not. I think it has about 86k on the odometer right now. My wife tried calling the dealer - of course they never got around to calling back :mad:
  7. ericy

Electric vehicles (EVs), their emissions, and future viability

Yes. Every state is going to be a bit different, and in our state (Delaware), you get contracts for about 20 years. For us, the rate sort of depends on what year your system is installed. But not every state has this - previously we lived in Virginia, and they have nothing. Ours is...
  8. ericy

Yeah. I cleared the code, and it came right back. If it wasn't so damned hot in the garage right now, I would have been tempted to trace the wiring, and see if anything was loose.
  9. ericy

My wife informed me that she is starting to get a fault code related to the DRL and parking light. This is on a 2015 Golf TDI. I used VAG-COM to read the codes and came up with this: 19210 - Right LED Module for DRL and Parking Lights B12ED F2 [009] - Voltage Supply Open or Short...
  10. ericy

That's more like us. Winter is when our electric bill is the largest due to electric heat. During the summer the late spring we generate a ton from the solar and don't consume that much. It is kind of a wash in the summer when the AC is running, and finally late in the fall the days are...
  11. ericy

That's how it is for us in Delaware except for that last bit. There are times that we generate more than we use, and if a the end of the month we have a net credit, the bill is just a minimal fee and there is a running tally of the net excess kWh that we generated. In the fall the days get...
  12. ericy

I wouldn't count out fleet trucks. For fleets, they could charge back at the home base at night, and be ready to go again in the morning. Fleet owners tend to look a lot more closely at TCO instead of emotion (that a lot of individuals use to make these decisions).
  13. ericy

I don't think I have ever seen a GM product that I found to be good looking. To me all of their cars are pretty bland looking with mushy handling. The Bolt itself sort of reminds me of an econobox with cheaper materials in the finish.
  14. ericy

I am trying to remember what I paid for my Kona - I want to say 41K US$, and that's with Ultimate trim level. You still get the Federal tax credit of 7500$, and in some states there are further tax credits. This gets you down into the same range as the JSW. Tesla has used up their Federal tax...
  15. ericy

Volkswagen exec reaffirms commitment to diesel: ‘Now it is absolutely clean’

I found an interesting documentary about the future of the German auto industry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXjVxaKzv4 The short version is that they are dragging their feet on electrification. Partly because they are really good at making ICE engines, but there is also a lot of...
  16. ericy

It isn't great, but it is better than you think. Just a couple of years go a cross-country trip would have been impossible - this is no longer the case.
  17. ericy

They say that 80% of the charging is done at home. It is only longer road trips where public charging stations become important.
  18. ericy

For me automatics have been troublesome, and when they act up the repairs cost a fortune. The manuals were rock solid. While I put a lot of miles on the cars, I never needed to replace the clutch (I think my best was 180k miles on the factory clutch).
  19. ericy

Maintenance costs are another area where EVs come out ahead. No oil changes, no timing belts. Generally no brake pads (typically use regen to slow the car, while they have friction brakes, they are rarely used). What you are left with is simple stuff. Rotate tires, cabin filter, top off...
  20. ericy

Gas Station Pulls Pumps And Adds EV Charging

Selling gasoline has very thin margins as well. For this guy, the bread and butter is repairs.