Search results

1. P

Just bought a 2015 A3 TDI, have a question

Inside the trunk, on the right hand side, there is a removable panel. Inside there is a complex plastic box, with nothing in it. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be something in there (e.g. tire inflator) that I'm missing. Mine has the fix, and only 3000 miles. :)
  2. P

Coolant level dropping

I've noticed my coolant level dropping, so I got a bottle of the VW stuff and mixed it and added more. My oil does not appear to have any foamy white goo in it. I haven't noticed any puddles on the floor but I should look more closely to be sure. Suggestions what to look for? I have been...
  3. P

Don't be a dumb ass - like me

I was working on the trailer wiring and wanted to jack up the car and put jackstands underneath, so I could run the power wire back to the trunk. I was in the garage, a bit dark. Anyway I got out the jack and positioned it and started cranking. The car started going up, but something looked...
  4. P

What is "coming home/leaving home"?

I did a search here and could not find much. I looked at the manual p139 and the MFI option. None of it makes sense to me. P139 appears to have an elaborate recipe for turning the feature (whatever it is) on or off, which doesn't make sense either because there is a simple box to check in the...
  5. P

Hitch wiring - 56201 or 59201?

I've been reading about trailer hitch installations, and trying to figure out what converter to use. If the Passat uses PWM wiring, then it should be Curt 56201, right? Then why do some folks go with Curt 59201? Also wondering about a decent price. Amazon didn't like either of them when I told...
  6. P

What does EGT tell me?

I was looking through the ScanGuageII thread (I just got one) and was wondering why I should be aware of EGT. I know this is a general concern among diesel folk but I don't know why. I read enough to know that with EGT I can better monitor regens than by just watching the idle speed, and that I...
  7. P

Upper grille removal 2013 Passat?

I'm trying to take the upper grille off. The 3 screws on top are obvious, and with those out I can pull the grille far enough forward to see 5 or 6 locking tabs on the bottom, but I can't get to these. Apparently this grille was designed to be easily put on, but not pulled off. I guess 3 screws...
  8. P

Skinny tires for better MPG?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried skinnier than stock tires to boost mpg, and how well it worked for them (in all respects, not just mpg).
  9. P

Remove rear head restraint?

I want to be able to remove and insert the head restraints as I please (e.g. putting the seat down to haul cargo). The fronts require a credit card for complete removal, and the rears require a screwdriver. I found that the front lock is plastic and could be shaved away with a sharp knife, but...
  10. P

What to do with these Dimple Magnetic Drain Plugs?

I bought one plug for the engine and one for the gearbox. I figured I'd just wait for the next regular oil change on the engine to swap that one out, but that doesn't make a lot of sense on the gearbox. Anyway I can't find the gearbox oil change in my "Warranty and Maintenance" manual. It talks...
  11. P

Top tire for MPG?

Just wondering what tires are best for mpg as well as being at least somewhat quieter than the Hankooks. Just starting my research... Oh, I guess I need something that works in rain too...
  12. P

Coasting harmful to gearbox?

On page 209 of my owner's manual it says, "NOTICE - Never let the vehicle coast or roll down a hill in Neutral (N), especially when the engine is not running. The transmission will not be lubricated and will be damaged." I assume this applies to the DSG box and not the manual? Strange it...
  13. P

Do I have a rain sensor?

I was looking at threads about rain sensors and still can't figure it out. My car has a rectangular thing where the mirror contacts the windshield (guess it's glued there?) but it doesn't have the 4 diamond shapes as in the pics I have seen of the sensor; it's just plain grey. Is that a dummy...
  14. P

Mouse-proofing these cars

I opened the hood today and found a little nest of material from who knows where (probably off the car) sitting on top of the battery. :mad: All our older cars have had the underhood pad chewed (so much in one case that I had to remove the entire pad). The little bastards haven't got to the...
  15. P

Fuel got on disk rotor

I should know better. I used the lowest fuel setting on the pump handle and the fuel cutoff didn't work, so I ended up with about a pint dribbling down onto the wheel and ground. When I looked I noticed the rotor got splashed too. :( There was no hose around. I managed to get the car on the...
  16. P

Rubber mat removal?

I got the rubber mats with my car. The fronts are held on with two buttons. I'd like to know how they come off so I can clean the car. I'd rather not break them trying to figure it out... :o
  17. P

What type is the OEM battery?

I have fancy battery charger/maintainer that gives slightly different output depending on both temperature and battery type. Is the oem battery considered a "flooded", "gel" or "AGM"? IIRC the manual for the charger says if not obviously AGM, maintenance free batteries should be treated as...
  18. P

Favorite VCDS tweaks?

I just noticed VeeDubTDI's VCDS locator, and find I have someone close. I want to turn off the hill-hold feature, and was wondering what other things people like to do with this tool, so I can make more than one change in a visit. I had an ancient VAG-COM but it went with my B4 when I sold the...
  19. P

Why measure EGT with THIS car?

I'm trying to understand what EGT does for me. Is this car in danger of having the engine melt down because I'm not watching EGT? :)
  20. P

How to remove trunk lid inner cover?

I'm talking about the plastic cover inside. I have something rattling around loose in there that I want to fix. I found the two screws and removed them and I see that there are clips holding the cover in places, but they don't want to let go. I hate prying hard and busting pieces off the cover...