Search results

1. Fix_Until_Broke

What did you do to your MKIV today?

Assuming all the fasteners are tight :)...There's a bushing in the shift tower that wears out. It's serviceable if I remember correctly. Else you can swap one from a different 02J
  2. Fix_Until_Broke

Jetta 1.4t CZTA timing belt

Looks like the North American version (CZTA) do NOT have ACT... Source: Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_petrol_engines#EA211_R3/R4 1.4 TSI[edit] For 2012, these newly developed generation of modern petrol engines are manufactured at the Škoda Auto plant in...
  3. Fix_Until_Broke

Any idea how to know if the engine has ACT (Active Cylinder Technology)? Seems that if it does, there's some extra special tools required to set the cam's precisely. If it does not have ACT, it can be done in a more traditional way (pins/locks/etc)...
  4. Fix_Until_Broke

pedroYUL - Did you ever end up doing this EA211 timing belt? Tips/How-To's/Parts sources if you'd be willing to share?
  5. Fix_Until_Broke

Any reason that it needs to be a 11mm? Put a 10mm in if you have to get by - it'll run just fine.
  6. Fix_Until_Broke

While not "common" it happens on occasion... https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/5th-gear-problems.251616/
  7. Fix_Until_Broke

Battery seems dead, but isn't?

So, go to start the Jetta on Monday morning, errerrant, errerrant, nothing. Hmm, that's strange, started just fine a couple days ago. Grab the jumper pack - no improvement. Take the other car to work for a couple days - finally had time to dig into it tonight. Battery voltage was at 12.8...
  8. Fix_Until_Broke

What's your goal with all this? Seems like the timing belt is expanding into everything else :)
  9. Fix_Until_Broke

We spread more salt than we get snow here too, so I can sympathize with you :) The control arms have rubber bushings in them. They do go bad and can cause a pulsing brake pedal which will make you chase in circles trying to fix the brakes :). A popular upgrade is to use TT control arm...
  10. Fix_Until_Broke

It's not a cake walk - The lower engine mount and steering rack are attached to it. I bet the bolts will come out...
  11. Fix_Until_Broke

I'd just leave it off.
  12. Fix_Until_Broke

Lifter is fine as noted - after 12 months, if one leaks down a bit, no problem. More surprised the other 7 stayed pumped up! As noted, cam and lifters must be replaced together.
  13. Fix_Until_Broke

The lifter is the root cause of your issue. Could have been a previously botched timing job that cracked a lifter, I'd be curious to see what the other lifters look like, but they do wear out on occasion after a few hundred thousand miles. Those rod bearings are just fine, good for another few...
  14. Fix_Until_Broke

Cold starts: You can adjust the glow time in VCDS to make it glow longer (or shorter). My Jetta has an issue at ~30F where the glow plugs don't stay on long enough and it struggles to start. At 15F the glow plugs stay on a lot longer and it starts better. Harmonic Balancer Bolts: Insert the...
  15. Fix_Until_Broke

There is evidence to suggest that advancing the cam relative to the crank will increase cranking compression, thereby developing more heat in the cylinder and easier starting in cold temps. When doing this you are making the intake valve close earlier at BDC thereby trapping more air in the...
  16. Fix_Until_Broke

Share pictures if you would please!
  17. Fix_Until_Broke

Interesting - Head gaskets are also not common on these engines unless doing silly things to them. On the rod bearing, did you pull the oil pan and find one bad? Similarly, really not common on these engines unless doing silly things. I pulled rod bearings out of my car that showed 7...
  18. Fix_Until_Broke

Striker - What was the reason for the overheat? Similar question for your #3 rod bearing - that is not a common issue
  19. Fix_Until_Broke

You'll be replacing the bearing - been there, done that, multiple t-shirts...
  20. Fix_Until_Broke

IP Pump Tear Down and Seal Replacement, Bench DIY

KrashDH - Thanks for the well done "how to"! If I may, I'd like to contribute a bit to this. The shims on each end of the spring for the dynamic timing adjustment piston, identified as 33 and 35 below and part of 1 460 100 902 "Selection Group Shim Ring" Those shims on my random 2003 10mm...