Search results

1. X

Emergent suggestions/help needed: car crashed in Dawson City, Yukon

(This happened today afternoon (8/25 4pm) and I just had the car towed to a repair shop) We were having a summer vacation and driving from Dawson City to Whitehorse. Cousin was driving the car, going 80km/h. Car lost traction on loose gravel, sided to the left, then right, then went off road...
  2. X

Baltimore->SanFrankcisco, I70 or I80?

Baltimore->SanFrancisco, I70 or I80? It's summer again and I'm doing another cross-country!:D Basically I only have 8 days for the trip and can't decide whether to take: I70 (Columbus Indianapolis St. Louis Kansas City Denver then Nevada finally Cali) or I80 (Cleveland Chicago Des Moines Salt...
  3. X

Blue Ridge Parkway in Januray

Hi Guys, Me and two friends are planning to make a road trip to Florida this Christmas, taking Interstate and US1 to get there. On the way back, we are debating whether to take a different route, i.e., the blue ridge parkway. We plan to head back on January 1 and 2, 2013. Looks like road...
  4. X

size of shock mounting nut?

I hear a rattling sound from driver's rear when going low speed, which comes from a small space between the shock nut and shock mount. Last time I checked, I put a washer in between but the washer was a bit too big. I guess this time I'll have to find a washer of the right size. And that is? Thanks!
  5. X

ball joint top nut stuck

I was doing front strut and lower control arm refresh, everything was good until to take the last nut out. I've loosened the ball joint nut half way up until it kept spinning without getting out: The problem is that when I turn the nut, the inner shaft follows the turn. I'm thinking of two...
  6. X

Explain OEM please

I guess Saturday is a good time to learn something new.:D The term "OEM" has confused me a lot ever since I joined the club, as it clearly has a distinct definition than the "OEM" in computer parts. Wikipedia has some explanation/clarification...
  7. X

was quoted $1300 for struts/shocks

my car pulled slightly to the right. the alignment shop told me they couldn't align it because the lower control arms were shot, the valving was broken down inside the strut, and the rear shocks were bad. The unusual wear on the tires supported their judgement and I also think it's a good time...
  8. X

borrow a set of floor jack, jack stands (or ramps) in Seattle area

Hi, I just drove from Baltimore to Seattle for my 3-month internship. The car did great and had its oil changed 8k miles ago (when I bought it). Over the past weekend I did a diesel purge and changed the fuel filter. Now I plan to change the engine oil, transmission oil, break fluid and do...
  9. X

where do I buy oil?

Gonna do my first oil change, so this is a totally newbie question. I've searched around different stores but couldn't really figure out the best place to buy. A lot of stores don't carry 5L ones, so people usually buy 6 1-quart ones? Amazon sells this one for $42.64...
  10. X

engine break reved up, temp drops?

This has confused me. I was on 2nd gear downhill for about 6 miles, engine revved up to over 4000rpm. Soon enough I got a CEL and it read: 16512 - Coolant Valve (N214): Temperature below Control Range P0128 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent I shifted up to 3rd and used break. I noticed...
  11. X

Baltimore area: $100 to get window tinted

It'll be summer soon! I found out this deal on gangbucks: http://gangbucks.com/baltimore/thedarkside Two weeks ago I went over and got my 2003 Jetta tinted under the deal. What I did was just register to gangbucks (free) and told the owner that I came for the deal. They use Madico brand film...
  12. X

Baltimore to Seattle

My first cross-country, from Atlantic to Pacific! I'm planning to start on May 13 and arrive on May 26. So it's about two weeks. May I ask a few questions here: I'll pass a few bio-diesel states. I've read the Alternative Fuel sub-forum but still couldn't understand how my 03 ALH handles...
  13. X

Manual trans: quickest start from stop

does your manual mk4 accelerate quicker than or on par with automatic gassers when the red light hits green? I feel I don't control the timing of clutch/throttle very well. Sometimes I feel the car has a lot of power to go quicker at start but I leave the clutch half up too long so the power...
  14. X

if i can put a finger in between the serpentine belt and pulley...

then it means some thing is definitely loose? I suppose the serpentine belt is very very tight around the pulleys? car battery light on the other day. only around 12volts on battery when idling. So definitely there's something wrong with the alternator. For now I can only see from above the...
  15. X

sleep mode? radio cuts off after 20min?

This happened last night at Bengie's, a drive-in theater. The key was in accessory position (where you can pull out the key directly without turning, not the position that turns on some on-dash light). The radio went off after 20 minutes. My first thought was that, omg, my battery died! Then I...
  16. X

how long did your glow plug light come on in this weather (25F)?

It was around 25F this afternoon. I jumped into the car, turned the key, most dash lights (including glow plug light) went on for about 0.5 second. But after that, the GP light didn't come on. I cranked the engine for about 3-4 seconds to start the engine -- after start, I saw A LOT of smoke...
  17. X

idling 10 min per week keeps the battery from dying?

Gonna go on vacation for a whole month and no one will drive the car. Checked different posts about battery maintenance, findings: 1. Good batteries can last even months. But I got the original battery on my 2003 Jetta, not sure about its status. 2. Low RPMs can sort of "charge" the car, but...
  18. X

rat poop on the engine cover!

Today when I opened the hood, I was welcomed first by the smell, then gladly entertained by the little dropping on the engine cover. Gotta get a cat!
  19. X

Does the lite version of VCDS tell you which glow plug's bad?

Here's the code from VCDS-lite: 1 Fault Found: 17054 - Glow Plug Module 1; Glow Plug Circuit: Electrical Malfunction P0670 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent I didn't get more specific code telling me what exactly went wrong. Is it because I used a lite version (unregistered) or this code...
  20. X

shop for basic toolset this Black Friday (newbie questions)

Hi folks, Hope everybody's having a nice Thanksgiving!:D Sears just had a bunch of deals on Craftsman tools . I thought this is the perfect chance to get one toolset for my own for regular maintenance jobs (currently I don't even have the tool to open the engine cover). Some forum threads...