Search results

1. K

S53 "flush" Whispbars - accessory options (skybox?)

That was one of my concerns with this combination as well -- posters put that clearance on the front clamp of about 1cm above the roof. Also the S53s may have a bit more flex to them than the sturdier through bar designs. With all that we decided to go with the S16s rather than the S53s. I...
  2. K

Whispbar S53, S16 or T16?

We considered the 18, but we're going on a 4000 mile long road trip and that seemed like a bit too much overhang on the front end. (Sorry about your 16!) You're right, the look of the S53 bare is amazing. Interestingly, I learned from someone on the Yakima "Fit Team" that, at least in some...
  3. K

Thanks Josh!. Actually, you were a fount of info in one of the other threads I was reading on the subject :) Decided to go with the S16s and the Skybox 16. I concluded the S16 through bar was probably more versatile in the end than the S53, and, as indicated, I was concerned the T16 might...
  4. K

Question out there for anyone who has used Whispbars with a Yakima Skybox: It seems like any of the Whispbars can be made to work with a Skybox (2011 JSW with no panoroof). I've read many forum posts about the S53 and S16 designs and I am curious whether anyone out there has used the T16 model...
  5. K

right rear engine mount alignment question

Thanks, Windex -- that's what I concluded. I just put the old one back in until I can wrangle a replacement. I looks like the darn thing was just assembled incorrectly, because it is waaay off.
  6. K

right rear engine mount alignment question

Howdy! I am in the midst of a large maintenance project on my '97 A3 TDI and am having a problem with the right side (passenger) rear engine mount. I got a set of replacement mounts from Bora Parts and the two little prongs that align the top plate of the mount with the engine side bracket...
  7. K

Does your car do this

I have a question related to this topic. This morning we had our 2011 TDI Sportwagen in for its 10,000 mile service. They performed the usual service items as well as taking care of the recall for the fuel injector lines and also reprogrammed the DSG transmission. This evening my wife and I...
  8. K

'97 Passat TDI A/C cuts out randomly

You might check the high temp cut-off sensor, particularly if you notice the problem in stop-and-go traffic when the car will tend to run a bit hotter. (My '97 Jetta has one of these; assume your car does as well.) The sensor plugs into the top coolant hose and has a two-wire plug running to...
  9. K

substantial coolant leak

G12 (which is what I presume is running in your system) should be available at any dealership, but you can also find it as Pentosin G12 Lifetime Antifreeze (same stuff), which is available through many of the favored vendors here. According to VW, you can replace G12 (pink) with the latest...
  10. K

substantial coolant leak

Definitely special order! $18.88 (on sale) at AutohausAZ: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=ike0mxvjuvbuedr0t3gq2ufx&partnumber=028121053Q $28.95 at IDParts: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=957 If a leaky injection pump is the issue, I would...
  11. K

substantial coolant leak

Well, when something very similar happened to me it was thanks to an injection pump that had started leaking. (This is a common problem on our vehicles.) Unfortunately, there is a junction of coolant pipes that sits just below the IP and diesel acts as a solvent on the rubber, slowly dissolving...
  12. K

Turbo cleaning + misc. intake/exhaust manifolds questions

Try this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=246287
  13. K

Replacement downtube flange nuts

If it makes you feel any better, between the arid air and extreme summer heat, anything plastic or rubber degrades pretty quickly down here. Every encounter with wiring or connectors on a 13 year old car holds the potential for heartbreak.
  14. K

transmission fluid change

Mobil 1 is API rated GL-5 and not suitable for our transaxles, which call for GL-4. GL-5s can have additives that react with and degrade the alloys used in the synchronizers.
  15. K

serpentine belt vibration

That's how I first learned about TDI Club -- someone had printed up business cards with the web address on them and left one under my windshield wiper :)
  16. K

98 TDI 293k mi nonstart question

Like KLXD said, it's the pump and not an injector. There are several gaskets on the IP that are simply prone to leaking with age. There are lots of thoughts out there about what might precipitate it: Using different fuels, additives, etc., but the bottom line is that it's not an uncommon...
  17. K

Replacement downtube flange nuts

I'm intrigued by all the mentions of stripped or broken studs when unbolting the exhaust downpipe coming off the turbo. Is this a corrosion issue? My '97 A3 has been in Arizona all its life (little rain, no road salt), and I had zero problems unbolting both the exhaust manifold and the flex pipe...
  18. K

98 TDI 293k mi nonstart question

It's a bit tough to see in the video, but the fuel leaking from the pump looks awfully foamy and there's a lot of it. I'd bet with a leak that significant the pump isn't primed and you're simply not sending enough fuel to the injectors. Looks to me like you're in line for an IP repair or...
  19. K

96 Passat Service Manual Needed / Wiring Diagrams

It's worth checking on eBay as well. UPDATE: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bentley-manual-volkswagen-Passat-vw-TDI-diesel-vr6-golf_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2559ecdb0cQQitemZ160422484748QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature Two volumes (like new), $35 minimum. No bids yet. Buy it now for...
  20. K

Help with Injector Pump removal

There are three places on the pump that like to develop leaks, none of which require removal of the pump to address. Two (the upper seal and middle IQ adjuster seal) are relatively straightforward using the right tools and procedures; the third (the O-ring at the head) can be a bit scary...