Search results

1. Rapidrob

Loss of power with no CEL light?

I thought the N75 valve was vaccum controlled?
  2. Rapidrob

Loss of power with no CEL light?

The problem is still an issue. The engine behaved until last week. I noticed my "outside / inside" air actuator slowly stopped working. The "door" is free to move in the AC duct-work. It is vacuum operated. If there is a cracked hose going from the engine to the outside air actuator would this...
  3. Rapidrob

264,000 mile maintenance work

My '96 Passat Wagon was in need of some TLC. This past winter was hard on the old girl. She needed a new Harmonic Balancer ( squealing when cold ), the water pump was leaking from the weep hole*, the Thermostat was stuck open, all Belts needed to be replaced ( not a big deal but I cannot do the...
  4. Rapidrob

Location of PCM /ECU / computer

'96 Passat TDI. Where is the control computer located?
  5. Rapidrob

2 Meter RF noise! Please help

What sounds like a running pump with the ignition on? ( not the N7 or what ever solenoid mounted on the firewall )
  6. Rapidrob

2 Meter RF noise! Please help

'96 Passat TDI I just put in a 2 Meter FM HAM Radio into my Passat. As soon as the "ignition" is turned on ( Engine is N O T running ) there is a tremendous, constant amount of RF noise being generated. After the ignition is turned off, it takes about ten seconds to go away as if something is...
  7. Rapidrob

front wheel drive line fell out!

Bolts showed up. I installed the new bolts, lock washers, keeper plates and new grease. Torqued all bolts twice. Test drove the car for 5 miles at 10-60 MPH. All good. I'll be driving the car 100 miles this Saturday and will check the bolts again for tightness when I get back home.
  8. Rapidrob

I ordered 2 sets of bolts and they have been shipped already. Another week wait.
  9. Rapidrob

The gaskets from Windex showed up today from Canada. I packed the CV joint with a high grade of CV joint grease and aligned up all the holes. Lock-washers and tie plates were hand tightened. A torque wrench was set up and tested in my vice and felt good. I torqued four of the bolts and was on...
  10. Rapidrob

When I do re-pack the coupling, I was going to use Molly-B grease. Should I use this grease or upgrade to something better?
  11. Rapidrob

The safety lock washers showed up from Buslab today. Still no gaskets from Canada.
  12. Rapidrob

I ordered the spring washers.
  13. Rapidrob

I'm waiting on the gaskets and the curved safety washers. I sure do miss the 49 MPG after driving my Jeep in the meantime.
  14. Rapidrob

How do you replace the Thermostat in a 1996 B4 1.9 Passat TDI engine?

I posted the wrong pump photos. I may remove the timing belt as well. The crank shaft balancer is squealing when it is cold out. I do not have the pulleys locking tools. Never done the belt by myself, had the mechanic do it and now they want a couple of grand to do the job.
  15. Rapidrob

How do you replace the Thermostat in a 1996 B4 1.9 Passat TDI engine?

I'm going to replace my water pump as there is leaking out of the weep-hole. At the same time I should replace the T-stat as well as it does not fully close anymore. Cooling system is clean and has never had tap water in the system. Are / is there a video on how to replace the T-stat on this...
  16. Rapidrob

The tap showed up this afternoon. I will chase the threads in the AM. No idea on the gaskets, nothing heard from Windex. How much Molly-B should be in the drive flange? Why didn't VW use some sort of lock-washer on the bolts?
  17. Rapidrob

I will "brake Cleaner" the threads and bolts and use LOC_tite on the threads
  18. Rapidrob

I ordered a "Plug-Tap" which is designed to repair threads.
  19. Rapidrob

I sent windex some money for the gaskets. That will help a lot having them.
  20. Rapidrob

Turning the wheel helped a little. The good news is there is only one hole out of eight that is slightly buggered at the first thread! Even a blind dog finds a bone every now and then... What the heck is this huge steel block used for? I thought it was hard rubber until I took it out. Once...