Search results

1. supton

hacked odometer

Carfax can be wrong. Recently I got interested in a Corolla for sale at a dealer. Went in, and there was a big discrepancy between what their computer said and what the odo said. No biggie, and walked on the car due to price. Later I checked their website, and the error still existed. And...
  2. supton

Brake bleeding

I tried the Motive once, kept blowing off. Found a Mityvac at a fleamarket, and while not perfect I find it works well enough. Needed it anyhow to empty out the master cylinder. last time I was at a mechanics to do this, he had me hop in and work the pedal. IMO that is probably the best way...
  3. supton

10 Years! 2003 ALH Fuel mileage information and Cost(s) of Ownership

I keep a logbook in each vehicle; when I do work I jot it down. [Recently I bought a tire depth guage, and have start putting in yet more info. Probably should start measuring brake pad thickness too.] I keep an Excel sheet elsewhere. If I were really smart, I'd enter in each time I made an auto...
  4. supton

Stick shift baby

Two doors is a hard sell. I could probably manage if I had to--but I'd want to have remote unlock for the trunk, that way I could throw my lunch and laptop in. Otherwise it's a pain to carry over my lap to put onto the passenger seat, and even more to toss behind the seat. For a track car, or...
  5. supton

2004 Jetta Wagon FS in NH

Car is sold. I hope it serves its new owner well!
  6. supton

Outer CV boot ripped-what would you do?

I repacked mine at around 292kmiles. At first I thought about buying the cheapest aftermarket axles, that way I could swap in something, repack offline, swap in when the junky aftermarket ones gave out. In the end I just parked the car for a couple of weeks to do at my liesure. After nearly...
  7. supton

VW Warranty

Take what you'd spend on a warranty. Put into the bank. Add a few bucks per month to that. By the time you have a problem, you'll be able to afford it.
  8. supton

Quick question. Bolt size

The bolt on the axle itself? I forget the size too, but it's also an SAE size, and that is what I used. 1 3/16 is the same as 30mm, and maybe that is the size I used... forgot now. However, Bentley says the nuts are one time use, and looking at the ones I got, it looked like they had a...
  9. supton

TDI models not the main focus anymore??

Which Corolla? I tested the current gen, and the last gen, and they certainly are penalty boxes. Drove a Prius C, and did not warm up to it at all. Kinda underpowered, too many gizmos, and too little car. Have not tried a regular Prius; while I might warm up to the exterior styling (can't...
  10. supton

Would you buy a former rental car?

Some people drive rentals hard; but how many drive over curbs? Most people think of driving "hard" as WOT acceleration and slamming on the brakes, and attempting to hear some tire squeal while cornering. None of which is really that abusive. Especially not on a lo-po rental, and not when it's...
  11. supton

'03 Wagon Rear Shocks (koni) are shot.

Oh, *slaps head* for some reason I saw Koni, thought red. Sorry about that derail!
  12. supton

'03 Wagon Rear Shocks (koni) are shot.

I thought you could contact them for an RMA, and buy a new set for half price. Mail the shocks back in the box(s), wait for them to inspect; if they deem bad, they will refund you. I'm 99% sure that is what I did when I RMA'd the the Koni Red Struts, as I wasn't going to park the car for the...
  13. supton

Sale is pending.
  14. supton

I also have a carfax for this, as I got a dealer trade-in eval. I'm not sure if I can hand that over to a potential buyer (not sure what is on it for private info), but honestly it's sparse for info. The one accident that I claimed is *not* listed on it, and of course, no oil changes either...
  15. supton

This is driver rear. I got sideswiped a few years ago, just a scratch on the bumper, but the paint under that got compromised. I squirt oil onto this area once in a while, but clearly there is something behind the bumper. Here, poorly, you can see rust popping up where the door seal hits...
  16. jetta_rust3

jetta_rust3

17. Jetta_rust21

Jetta_rust21

18. supton

Pics from today.
  19. jetta_interior21

jetta_interior21

20. Jetta_spedometer

Jetta_spedometer