Search results

1. I

Loose Flywheel?

Mongler - CV axle bolts to the transmission output flange or wheel side? Both sides are tight and torqued. I updated the list in that I also had to replace passenger side transmission output seal. Bolt length checked on both (frame and mount side). All mounts OEM from idParts. Update - I...
  2. I

Loose Flywheel?

Alright, I know it sounds weird but hear me out: Story: 5k miles ago I paid a shop in Austin to install a new clutch and SMF from idParts. No, they weren't on the list and before I got to dallas I lost two lug nuts and had to turn around. I took it back and said to re-check everything. Made it...
  3. I

VR6 axle swap 'How To'

For anyone that has difficulty with seating the new seals like I did: get the seal install tool from a tool rental place (or a piece of round stock) and an M8 screw and you can press it in:
  4. IMG_20190514_221935885

IMG_20190514_221935885

5. I

Coolant Filter

Alright Mongler, you sold me. I'll do what you subscribed, as follows: Fill and drain 2 times with distilled On 2nd refill, add 3 cups of vinegar, run 10 minutes once up to temp Drain and flush with distilled again but this time add about 2 to 3 tbs of Cascade Dish Detergent, for 10 minutes...
  6. I

Coolant Filter

Alright, sorry for being vague with the "hose" comment. The flushing history is as follows: Purge by force with hose, distilled "flush", run up to temp and refill x 2 Then ran three days with the Prestone flush, again flushed with distilled till clear. Then up to temp, drain and refill x 2. Two...
  7. I

Name this part under glovebox

I just took it out anyway. It's not present in Euro cars and I believe it was a requirement to meet the minimal damage to passengers who are not wearing their seat belts in the event of a front impact under 25mph.
  8. I

Beefier Dogbone?

Digging this up because I'm in the same spot. VWNathan did you buy it from DS? What'd you think? I got the BFI rear inserts and love it, but the front one has fallen apart. No leaks.
  9. I

Golf mk4 brake problem

Are you bleeding with a power bleeder or just pressing on the brake lever?
  10. I

Coolant Filter

Alright, first step out of the 101 forum. I've read that I should just flush the system thoroughly and be done with it. But, despite running the hose through it for hours, a few thousand miles later, the coolant always turns brown and I find specs of rust in it. If you were to install a...
  11. Coolant_Filter

Coolant_Filter

12. I

MKIV ALH CV Axle Shield Compatibility

Same... That's why I need one. Root cause is I'm losing transmission fluid from the output flange. Cannot tell if it's from the green seal or the cork one (between flange and CV). Because the output flanges vary in diameter, I don't understand how this part fits all the listed models...
  13. I

Bad CV joint or bad wheel bearing?

Yep. She's back on the road.
  14. I

MKIV ALH CV Axle Shield Compatibility

Anyone know if the one from the MKVI will fit a MKIV? They're a fair amount cheaper. eBay - $20 PN appears to be the same with the automatic: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Axle-Shield-Cover-98-10-VW-Jetta-Golf-Rabbit-GTI-MK4-MK5-Beetle-1J0-407-721-C-/351212786874 Otherwise, surprisingly expensive.
  15. I

Sad news, full knuckle replacement required. New bearing just dropped into the old knuckle.
  16. I

Just remembered that I actually have an EHA transmission flange on this side. In the event that I need a new axle, does that mean I need one built for a 1.8T instead of the TDI? When I did the clutch swap many moons ago, somehow I destroyed the old one so the cheapest replacement was the EHA.
  17. I

Prarieview - 258k. Spent its life in TX, now one winter on the East coast has introduced this concept of rust. Mongler - Thanks for reading through! I only pulled the wheel after the same was seen with wheel installed. Andybees - Good eye. Not a professional so I'm glad that part came through...
  18. I

Sorry for being a bit reliant on the video. Rotor moves and the cv does as well (they move together) while the knuckle stays stationary. To emphasize, not just the rotor moves, when the wheel was fully seated with lug nuts torqued, the same thing was felt.
  19. I

So I thought it was one of my bushings, jacked up the car, and found I could move my wheel. Before I go replacing either, just wanted to touch base. Thanks ! :D NOTE! Turn down your volume. Air conditioning units were on nearby, but if you listen closely, you can hear the chirp that I hear when...
  20. I

ALH Exhaust Leak

Hyde, EGR was deleted so that's clear. The other possibility is that I have an oil leak and am just smelling burning oil. Taking it into a shop on Saturday cause I don't have a lift and am tired of poking about. I'll update hopefully then! Or I'll pull intake manifold, exhaust manifold. and...