Search results

1. W

How Many Miles Can a Car Last - article

I have 3 TDI's , 2 over 300K miles. It is not the engine that is the problem...it is the fiddly electronic gee-gaws that eventually kill the car. My 1978 E-150 Van (with a stick shift) is on 317K+ and doing fine. Gotta take care of the rust spots tho and have the upholstery replaced when it is...
  2. W

Advice on locating short circuit

(98 Jetta problems.) I've opened another thread similar to this. Will check the Central locking system/Vac. pump! It's always nice when someone finds the solution and posts it.
  3. W

Fuse Issue on 98 1.9TDI Jetta Manual

Wow. No replies to this one! Now it's 2023 and here's a similar problem. My 98 Jetta is doing the same things PLUS the diagnostic port has no power. No dome light, no trunk light, no sunroof power and apparently no power to the diagnostic port. Trunk switch on the center console does not work...
  4. W

Key fob for A3?

Yes, I think I just need the shell. The FCC numbers implies the FOB has the electronics and needs reprogramming. OK, back to e-bay and Amazon for the cheepies!
  5. W

Help! Hurricane Ian flooded my ‘15TDI!!

Didn't VW put an electronic module under the floor on the front passenger side? If yours has this, the module is trash. I'm not sure about the '15, but it has been an issue on earlier models when windows got left open and the floor flooded.
  6. W

Key fob for A3?

The FOB I have is the Clarion model. And yes, I'd call it a BANJO FOB. Some of the ads I saw wanted to know the FCC number and I was able to read that off one that was not worn out. I still haven't bought any of the ones I saw advertised. Thanks for the tip about the interchange problem...
  7. W

VAG-COM OBD Scanners references/FAQ

When you buy your VAGCOM-VCDS from Ross-Tech, you get tech support. You can also download the program to any compatible computer you have. The CABLE is the key to everything. I just got a little laptop, Dell 3180 refurb, from Tiger Direct with WIN 10 pro on it. It was less than $200. ($170+ tax...
  8. W

Run away diesel

Old Rabbits were very likely to go into run-away...worn rings maybe. It seemed that it was more likely if you were going fast and downhill where the engine didn't have to "work" so hard. The long hill down US-25 from North Carolina to South Carolina was the best spot for this to happen...
  9. W

Key fob for A3?

What?? has NO ONE else replaced the worn parts on their key fob?
  10. W

Key fob for A3?

The rubber parts on my 98 Jetta are "gone" and I'd like some feedback on who is the best vendor for replacement fob shells. There are a load of them advertised but the price range makes me think some are not so great. Do anyone have any suggestions on who has the most reputable ones?
  11. W

BEW chugging and loss of power

Hey Gainesville...How'd the lift pump fix work out? I have an 05 Passat and I'm eager to hear about your experience.
  12. W

2011 Jetta Wagon 120k anyone interested?

Thanks, jimmyfine! Wow. 130K or 10 years. Of course in 10 years, I'd expect some general material degradation and a lot more than 130K miles. Would this be what's called "long-life" even for a 96 Passat (1Z) or a 98 Jetta ? They were all 60K mileage-belts too and long-life for them was 80K...
  13. W

Puzzling ABS fault after B5 manual swap

My ABS electronic module failed and I had it repaired. Even with all coding correct, it won't clear error lights. I unplugged the stupid thing (ABS) and just ignore the ABS light on the dash. At least NOW it won't apply the brakes on diagonal wheels while I'm going along the road! Oh...this is...
  14. W

interface not found

I'm using the latest version (22.9) with Hex-CAN on an 05 Passat and it's working OK (even using Microsoft XP!). You Do have to go thru the setup or configuration program again to identify the ports, etc to get it to work. If you need a later version of the dongle for, say, a 2014, or in my...
  15. W

TDI Mechanic in SC PA

So this is one of the recalled TDIs that VW had to reprogram for the emissions issue? The extended warranty is pretty poor...only 12K miles a year! I was considering getting one of these but after reading this post and others...I'm fixing my old ones!
  16. W

Item 4: Do you mean the pads and DISCS? Usually the front brakes wear out first, BTW. All my TDIs are old so I have to ask the next question: Does this car have a manual parking brake or an electric one...maybe the rear brakes wore out first because the brakes are not releasing properly. I DO...
  17. W

My wife lost last key for her B4

You might need to address the use of the parking brake now...maybe leaving the tranny in Reverse or 1st gear if she has some problem using the brake lever. I can imagine the car going away unsupervised sometime as in a parking lot and....well.....you know the rest.
  18. W

Injection timing and "hammer"adjustment technique

I hope you didn't undo the large nut on the IP!! Sure wish threads like this were followed-up... So: DO NOT UNDO THE LARGE NUT ON THE 03 ( ALH) IP!!
  19. W

My wife lost last key for her B4

Try another locksmith. The one who could not make a key to work isn't much of a locksmith. Hope you didn't pay for the botched job.
  20. W

60K miles sounds rather short for a trashed clutch/throw-out bearing. Did you buy the car used and it actually has a lot more than 60K miles on it? Was it pulling a trailer? Oh gee....If I'd just read the subject line I could see it has 120K!! DUH. Still, that's not much mileage. Previous...